Pictures of Coco ..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Okay here are some picture's of Coco from today. I took him into the garage and scraped all the mudd off him and tried to get him clean. I didnt get to do his hips or legs so there still a bit dirty, didnt get them clean either. He and Rocky were out running in the mud somemore today and i couldnt take the muddy little faces anymore.

But i wanted to get some pictures of Coco on a flat ground and ask for a honest opinions on him. This is him in 'out of stall' shape. Hasnt been lunged for a while and were going to start our training and exersizing up agian in about a week or two.

I was told his butt looked high in some previous pictures but here are some of flat land. I know i've asked for one before, but he is older now. I also now understand tailset and all that stuff. So i just thought it would be nice to get a better idea on what we need to work on this year.

I want to show him this year in Halter, Showmanship and Obsticle driving this year. I just ordered a video in obsticle driving and it is deffently the show for Coco and I.

So how is his confirmation?

(Sorry i didnt have him standing square and stretched ..i'm home alone today and i cant take pic's and bate him at one ..i tried though).

100_0012.jpg

100_0018.jpg

100_0021.jpg

100_0022.jpg

Thank you

Please do not be afriad to be honest ...i'm going to love him no matter what but it would be nice to know since training time is coming up.

Also if your not comfirtable posting critiqes on here ...i can PM the pics to you.

Leeana

Nice little horse.
yes.gif

I can't tell if its the picture or not, but the three feet I can see in the photos look like all his feet are different lengths.
unsure.gif
If they are I would get them balanced. If they're not just ignore me.
yes.gif

Robin

I did his back hooves early this morning ...i didnt finish his front feet because he was being a little pain in the butt so i waited untill dad got home
wub.gif
. Our Farrier when he was hear last taught me some stuff to do from time to time. I tried to get him glammed up for the pictures (yes i know the black hooves look rediculous ..we just wanted to try it out).

Leeana

leanna if the farrier was there why didnt he trim him?? Im confused. Leaving him unbalanced like this is not good at all. also one back hoof is more angled and shorter then the other.

hes a cutie

The farrier wasnt there today, last time he was there to trim he taught me and dad how to file them. I trimmed the back ones this morning around 8:30'ish and then took pictures around 9:30. Dad got home at 10 and did them about 15 minutes later. He didnt go all day like that
biggrin.gif

I will have dad check out the back ones that i did better in the morning, he just glanced at them and said they looked fine. I'll have him look at them better.

Thanks

Leeana

I am not very good at confirmation - I am sure others can help in that area, but I am pretty good at hooves. I'd have the farrier come back not just to trim, but to properly correct his hoof angles.

Liz R.

Okay, I'll put on my flameproof suit, because the feet are not that bad. Yes one hind foot needs a little touching up but no one has noticed the horse needs more weight before starting work. His rear end comes to a point when you look down the line of the back. Overall hes a pretty neat little horse with a lot of nice color.

Before you start working him have the farrier check to make sure hes balanced, it won't hurt and you will learn. Leeana, I never black a horses feet that has white legs because optically it makes the leg look shorter. Linda B

He looks pretty good! As Fred said, whenever you show, use clear hoof polish instead of black. He will look much better.
yes.gif

lol Painthorselover ..Coco is a gelding (just dont try telling him that
unsure.gif

I try to keep all my horses at an 'okay' weight in the winter ..i never liked letting a horse get really fat for 5 month's and then lunging the heck out of them to get them back. I just stop lunging them in the winter and up there hay. They get a bit of a hay belly but they are much happier when training time comes around, which during training all we do to exersize is trot back and forth through the front yard from time to time ..coco is far to lazy for lunging so its nearly impossible to take weight off him, we dont do any hard exersizing.

We just picked up some black hoof polish for Rocky at TSC. I wanted to try it out on Coco to see how it looked, obviously ....never trying it agian. We got some Twinkle Toes hoof polish (its gold&silver sparkly hoof polish). Im trying that out tommarow ..which means more pictures.
biggrin.gif
. I didnt know it made there legs look shorter (thats all Coco needs ..shorter legs, lol).

Quick Question ..when correcting hoof angle's isnt that the same as trimming or do they do something else?

Leeana

I agree that he looks a little thin. I do not think he will appear butt high with some more weight. Also when he gets muscled up his back will pull up and his tummy will tighten and this will improve his back line a lot.

Just a hint on the clear polish. If you choose to use clear you have to have the feet very clean and well sanded.

I think you are doing a good job with him. I am glad you are asking questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt know you could sand hooves ..what do you use? Sandpaper?

Since the mudd is clearing up i might add driving pictures tommarow and you guys can tell me what you think. We have not drove in month's
smile.gif
.coco should be thrilled.

Leeana

Leanna, I already PMed you about my thoughts but just know that you cannot use twinkle toes in any class besides costume.

Correct hoof angles are results of proper trimming. I'll e-mail correct angles to

you later. What I meant by weight is, it is easier to take weight off than to put it

on. He will look much better with weight because when you work him the muscles

in the butt will develop more and won't waste away when you work him. The horse won't be as lazy if

he feels good and has weight on. Unless, his name is Fred and then you can lose

20 pounds chasing him.
wub.gif

leanna

you know i love you but if you dont know what a proper angle for a hoof is then you should not try to trim them. you can buy a hoof angle tool that will help show. now keep in mind the angle of the hoof has to match the pastern. so if you have a horse with pasterns that are off you cannot angle the hoof differently. this would be an over correction and can really hurt a horse.

Jessica, i know i cannot use twinkle toes in showing. I just thought it would be fun to add some 'sparkle' to the barn
wink.gif

I'll try to get a couple more pounds on him so he fills out nicely this spring with muscle. So the extra pounds in the winter really do help out in the spring?

...so i use sandpaper on his hooves before putting on clear polish? Or is there another way?

Leeana

lm with everyone else the first thing that hit me was hes skimpy and his hoofs are a mess them being black didnt help. sandpaper and elbow grease is the prefered way to go. he might not be lazy he might be tired and have no energy for work.

Latest posts

Back