Pictures and an updates of my new horse!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrah

Reaction score
I couple of months ago now I bought a two and a half year old (coming three in the spring) Halfinger X QH mare. Our first couple of weeks were rather rocky, but we have since worked it out and I couldn't ask for a better horse! I've done mostly ground work with her, but a couple of weeks ago I added some riding to the mix. I've only been riding her about once a week, I don't want to rush those young legs!

We have been doing round penning, and a strange mix of both John Lyons, Clinton Anderson and Stacy Westfall horsemanship methods that seems to be working well for me. She is finally started to lighten a little and he hind end is freeing up more and more every day. I can't wait to see how mugh lighter and more responsive I can get her! She already follows me everywhere and is always eager and happy to work.

Here are some pictures!:

maddie.jpg

maddie3.jpg

maddie4.jpg

maddie5.jpg

maddie6.jpg

maddie8.jpg

I also have a picture of my old girl. We estimate her at about 28 years of age
default_sad.png
I still ride her, though only on leisurley trail rides at a walk, and maybe a trot. Poor old Ferrah still wants to GO!!1, but I keep seeing signs that she isn't up to that kind of acitivity anymore. It's sad to see the poor old girl's body starting to go, even though in her mind she's still only 3! I am grateful for every day we have together, but a part of me in the back of my mind wonders how much time she has left.

Here is a picture I took of her a couple weeks ago:

100_2459Large1.jpg

Here is one from last summer:

ferrahleah2.jpg

This was her at age 26:

ferrah11.jpg

ferrah13.jpg

ferrah12.jpg

I love my girls!

I have never had the opportunity to ride a halflinger so I am anxious to hear about your progress in the future and see how she rides. She looks pretty cool and how could she not look cool in those neon pink wraps!!! Way to go. This horse looks as sturdy and as fun as they come. She has that very kind eye and such a sweet face. What's her name?

Ferrah looks fabulous but she always has. I understand about her mind telling her she needs to go but her body is saying different. That's because she is a horse with heart. You are super the way you have pampered her and given her such a wonderful life. I know its very hard but sometimes you have to make them hang up the bridle for their own good. Same thing here with my Sonny. Arthritis set in him early on but he's not the worse for wear having a leisure time around here. You have always done a great job with beloved Ferrah and she will let you know when its her time. Best wishes and many hugs.

Thanks Marty, her name is Maddie and she is really turning into a wonderful mare! Maddie's trot is absolutely to die for! She has beautiful deep reaching hocks and she can really move in the front end! Unfortuneately the canter leaves a lot to be desired! I have not cantered her under saddle yet (and won't do so until the spring), but seeing her canter from the ground has given me a feeling of what it's going to be like. She spends A LOT of time in the air when she canters! She has no balance at the canter, but I have seen very few horses this age who are balanced at the canter. Maddie is a hard trying and will try anything she can think of to try and find the right answer! She does have a mind of her own at times, but I have no issue with her after dealing with headstrong Ferrah! Maddie is the third Haflinger (mind you Maddie is a cross) I have trained and they all seem to have super trots and lousy canters. They will trot for you all day, but they would really rather not canter! I hear that Haflinger breeders are trying to get better canters on them, but I haven't seen the results of that yet!

I'll miss riding when Ferrah's riding days are over, but I'll know when it's time to stop. I don't even put a saddle on her anymore, just a bareback pad, I can't find a saddle that will fit her well anymore because of her swayed back and I don't want to hurt her. Ferrah enjoys pushing around Maddie is the paddock, but she is totally different when I pony Maddie with Ferrah! Ferrah loves to pony Maddie out on the trail and show her that the world is not scary! It will be sad when she goes, but for now she is sound, healthy and happy and at her age, that is all one can ask for!

Found the thread!!!! Yes she's lovely! You have excellent taste in horses (I think Ferrah is nice too) I look forward to seeing her in person. Haven't met any halfies so I can't say about the canter but there is hope since she isn't full halfie.

Your new mare looks like she will be a lot of fun, always neat to start with a young one, and your old mare reminds me a lot of our old sweetheart that we just lost. She was also to the bareback pad stage, just ambled around with her now and then when she was up to it.

Jan

Latest posts

Back