picture from the Fletcher show. I would love opinions on him.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura Leopard

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my boy Erica's Big City Conpiracy Theory "Bishop" showing ammy halter in Fletcher. He's a good boy and will be going to nationals for the very first time this year. I'm so excited. He'll be driving and doing obstacle, but I can't decide whether or not to show him in ammy halter.

36190_1463794310181_1093189486_3133.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not expert enough to give you an opinion on whether you should enter a halter class...but...I like what I see!
wub.gif

He's a handsome boy
biggrin.gif

I cant help you as I am new at it and have only done fun shows so far.

You both look great to me.

I'd say show him in ammy halter!

He's got National Champion / World Champion siblings in halter on both sides. His maternal brother (Destiny, National Champion Halter, Reserve National Grand Champion Driving, Halter Hall of Fame, MANY time Grand Champion, National All Star, AMHA Honor Roll, ETC.) is a HUGE part of my heart, as are some of his beautiful paternal siblings (Bomb Shell, Blue, Cover Girl) that H and I own.

Some of our own best horses are his sisters and brothers and not only are they exceptional physically, but they all give so much of their hearts to do what it is you ask them to -- as I'm sure you see with that handsome Bishop
default_yes.gif

You might start a thread or bend some ears privately about how you could improve his condition (sweating, lunging, feeding, grooming -- not that he's not looking very sharp, but to see how you can tweak closer to perfect) and how to possibly better pose him. He is a very good looking boy and I think if all the cards are played right, he'd have the potential to do very well for you in several divisions / disciplines.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks Jill. I'll probably do it just to say I did. It's only $30 bucks. It really all depends on what the judges like. In Fletcher one judge put us 2nd in the halter class out of 5 and the other judges placed us 4th and 5th. It's funny, many of his siblings have done so well in halter. He's pretty, but I don't think he has the total look that they want. His head is cute, but it's kind of bigger and not as dishy. I think he's beautiful, but he is my baby.

Laura

I think it would help if you could post a profile picture of him, instead of one at an angle.

That horse looks strangely familiar!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

I agree- go ahead and show him. He's got the bloodlines and I've seen horses with much worse heads get championships. I can't say much about his leg position given the way Turbo keeps creeping forward into awful poses but if you could get him to stand up a little straighter on those forelegs and get some weight on his topline and rump I bet he'd do very well!

I love me some Bishop.
default_wub.png

Leia

After seeing him at the performance show I say go for it! I think he is very nice!

I think I actually got a few shots of him set up in the versatility class.

http://uwharriestudios.smugmug.com/Horses/East-Coast-Miniature-Horse/12642856_sQGgh#908672004_gE2SJ

I love the pics you got of him. I plan to buy some, I just needed to wait til I got a little more extra money. You are a great photographer, the best of all of the shows I've been to. I love the one of him set up in the versatility class. He's standing pretty good, but my favorite part is his head cocked sideways like a puppy dog. Not the best halter shot, but so cute.

Leia, I keep trying to ge his top line built up. I'm hoping the driving will do a lot of that for me. I might tweek his feeding a little, but I figure I'll put him in halter anyway. You never know what the judges will like. In fletcher he got a 2nd out of 5 under one judge. I'll think about it between now and September. He's going in versatility. I think he'll be more competative in that. Hopefully he won't knock down the jumps. He sometimes is lazy about picking up his feet.

Laura

uwharrie said:
I think I actually got a few shots of him set up in the versatility class.
http://uwharriestudios.smugmug.com/Horses/East-Coast-Miniature-Horse/12642856_sQGgh#908672004_gE2SJ
UWHarrie, you got some very nice photos! I love the ones of Bishop in Versatility and you have great timing on all the hunter/jumper shots. Good job!

Laura Leopard said:
Leia, I keep trying to get his top line built up. I'm hoping the driving will do a lot of that for me. I might tweek his feeding a little, but I figure I'll put him in halter anyway.
He looks adorable in UWHarrie's side shots during Versatility. I love the bright-eyed, lovey expression he has! Once he squared up with his hind feet under him he showed to great advantage.

(LB Disclaimer: For those who do not know, Laura and I do a lot of talking behind the scenes about our boys and I worked with her and Bishop at the National Drive last fall. I don't believe the following comments count as an "unsolicited critique.")

As for the driving, it will definitely build his topline if he's doing it from back to front. Do you normally drive with a check at home? Is the way he's carrying himself in those photos typical for him? If so, your best bet for getting him built up before Nationals is a lot more beet pulp and/or roundpen work in sliding side reins. In the long-term (after Nationals) we have to help him overcome the disadvantage of being a little butt-high and teach him to get up under himself. Bishop is naturally long-strided and reachy so he tracks up nicely but he isn't really using his butt at this point and his head and neck are just sitting there rather than flexing or arching in a way that will build muscle. His topline will not change and fill out until he learns to use it properly while driving. He's young and green and I'm sure most of that will come with time, but we do want to help him get there so lots of checkless work for now would be best until he learns to use his neck and elevate the forehand. Then you can check him up again and he will lift up and into the bridle instead of feeling constrained by it.

Leia

UWHarrie, you got some very nice photos! I love the ones of Bishop in Versatility and you have great timing on all the hunter/jumper shots. Good job!

He looks adorable in UWHarrie's side shots during Versatility. I love the bright-eyed, lovey expression he has! Once he squared up with his hind feet under him he showed to great advantage.

(LB Disclaimer: For those who do not know, Laura and I do a lot of talking behind the scenes about our boys and I worked with her and Bishop at the National Drive last fall. I don't believe the following comments count as an "unsolicited critique.")

As for the driving, it will definitely build his topline if he's doing it from back to front. Do you normally drive with a check at home? Is the way he's carrying himself in those photos typical for him? If so, your best bet for getting him built up before Nationals is a lot more beet pulp and/or roundpen work in sliding side reins. In the long-term (after Nationals) we have to help him overcome the disadvantage of being a little butt-high and teach him to get up under himself. Bishop is naturally long-strided and reachy so he tracks up nicely but he isn't really using his butt at this point and his head and neck are just sitting there rather than flexing or arching in a way that will build muscle. His topline will not change and fill out until he learns to use it properly while driving. He's young and green and I'm sure most of that will come with time, but we do want to help him get there so lots of checkless work for now would be best until he learns to use his neck and elevate the forehand. Then you can check him up again and he will lift up and into the bridle instead of feeling constrained by it.

Leia
Leia,

Thanks for your critique. He is still so young and green and I do feel with time he'll get it. He's come a long way already and with time will get better. We'll keep working at it.

I would most certainly show him in amateur. What do you have to lose? I'd spend the thirty bucks and give it a whirl. I think he's nice!!
default_wink.png

Back