Pics of Spirit Trotting - pic heavy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!!
default_drool5.gif
He is gorgeous!
default_wub.png

Parmela --

That is so cool that he drives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He used to be owned by Brenda and Dale Harrell -- maybe they trained him? They are who I bought Hope from and then Flirt @ one week old when they decided to get out of minis (initially they were going to keep Hope's foal, but I lucked out and got them both).

Spirit is just so neat
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with my untrained eye I see a driving machine.
default_laugh.png
default_yes.gif

Some trot big in a field and don't in harness? Huh. That must certainly befuddle the owners. Does it ever work the other way--big trot in harness, but never in the field?

I dream of getting a dillute like that one day... very very nice
default_wub.png

default_new_shocked.gif
Oh Parmela!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!! Those are awesome photos!!!!!!!!! You know how much I like this boy!!!!!!!
default_wub.png
Besides driving I think he needs to do liberty too!!! WOW!! VERY NICE!!!!!

First off I want to say those are BEAUTIFUL pictures and he would make one HECK of a little liberty horse.

That said, I would like to offer my own opinion to the many people wondering the difference between a horse moving in a field and moving under harness. Barnbum, horses rarely move better under harness than at liberty. At liberty, the horse is making an all-out effort to show off. When under harness, the horse is now restricted somewhat by the tack and lines, is asked to work at a steady or fast pace for an extended amount of time, and is also pulling some weight. It really limits the horse to really strut their stuff like they would uninhibited by harness and cart and driver, but also shows off the ability of the horse to do so.

Most horses do NOT move as big under harness as they do in the field with that big, prancy, tail-flagging trot. Many people post pictures of their horses trotting with their tail flagged, and ask "what driving division would you put this horse in?" and honestly it's not a good way to judge. Take picture or a video of a horse at it's regular, working trot relaxed and not "fresh" and you will then be able to put that harness on and that is what you will have.

Now, that "tail-flagging field trot" CAN be obtained under harness with the help of lots of conditioning and action aids but the miniature horse breed generally does NOT condone that method of training. It is extremely hard on the horse and requires a talented and athletic individual (think the Park Harness horses, there are VERY few good ones that have the ability).

For regular Country or Open pleasure driving, you will look at the horse's regular trot, see how much impulsion you get from behind, see what sort of front end action (lots of knee, or flat extension?) you get, and evaluate the horse's headset.

To me, this guy looks like he would make a cute driving horse because the first picture shows he is willing to naturally tuck and set his head. From the other pictures, I cool him down a notch and see a cute moving Country horse.

I hope that helps anyone,

Andrea

First off I want to say those are BEAUTIFUL pictures and he would make one HECK of a little liberty horse.
That said, I would like to offer my own opinion to the many people wondering the difference between a horse moving in a field and moving under harness. Barnbum, horses rarely move better under harness than at liberty. At liberty, the horse is making an all-out effort to show off. When under harness, the horse is now restricted somewhat by the tack and lines, is asked to work at a steady or fast pace for an extended amount of time, and is also pulling some weight. It really limits the horse to really strut their stuff like they would uninhibited by harness and cart and driver, but also shows off the ability of the horse to do so.

Most horses do NOT move as big under harness as they do in the field with that big, prancy, tail-flagging trot. Many people post pictures of their horses trotting with their tail flagged, and ask "what driving division would you put this horse in?" and honestly it's not a good way to judge. Take picture or a video of a horse at it's regular, working trot relaxed and not "fresh" and you will then be able to put that harness on and that is what you will have.

Now, that "tail-flagging field trot" CAN be obtained under harness with the help of lots of conditioning and action aids but the miniature horse breed generally does NOT condone that method of training. It is extremely hard on the horse and requires a talented and athletic individual (think the Park Harness horses, there are VERY few good ones that have the ability).

For regular Country or Open pleasure driving, you will look at the horse's regular trot, see how much impulsion you get from behind, see what sort of front end action (lots of knee, or flat extension?) you get, and evaluate the horse's headset.

To me, this guy looks like he would make a cute driving horse because the first picture shows he is willing to naturally tuck and set his head. From the other pictures, I cool him down a notch and see a cute moving Country horse.

I hope that helps anyone,

Andrea
I found this information very instructional and appreciate you taking the time to explain why you think one thing vs another!

Latest posts

Back