Pics of Royal Salsa & I doing our show rutine ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
*Let me start off by saying please excuse my Pajama's .....i just had to drag mom out of the house to take these pictures for me and its late. I just threw on dads jacket and away we go.

Here is Salsa about 20 minutes ago. I wanted to post pictures of him doing his show set up in his show halter (by the way, does it look good on him? I think gold is what works best, but does it look 'right' on him?). Well he normally does okay with this, but does he look 'show horse material' in these pics? We've basically worked our butts off to get him in shape and trim up his barral. His neck has been sweeted for 2 months (cant tell though
default_wacko.png
default_smile.png
. But can you see anything else we need to work on? He is so refined that you just have to see this horse to beleive it.

His first show is coming up June 10th & 11th. He will be showing youth halter & open halter and i am considering liberty.

I just brought him up on the drive way (away from the grass!) and got him infront of my car and got some 'decent' shots. We just snapped these quick and then he went back in the barn to enjoy his hay and beet pulp.

This pic is my faverit!

100_0393.jpg

Here he is, dont even get me started on his neck here. He was way overreaching for the treat! I tried to correct it but mom snapped the pic to fast.

ccaaaebf.jpg

This one is nice to!

cfe41cda.jpg

Here he is messing with me!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

8222ac04.jpg

Thanks for looking!

default_smile.png

Leeana H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a show person, but I think he is looking really good. The pictures are a little dark, but the only thing that I can see lacking is his ears (yeah I know how that is one of mine won't give me his no matter what
default_frusty.gif
: ). If you're getting him ready to go in the ring of course you'd have to trim fetlocks, face, do makeup on him, hoof polish etc........ (maybe even get dressed
default_jerry.gif
: ), but seriously I think he is looking great. Go get 'em at your show :aktion033:

Voodoo Posted Today, 07:56 PM I'm not a show person, but I think he is looking really good. The pictures are a little dark, but the only thing that I can see lacking is his ears (yeah I know how that is one of mine won't give me his no matter what ). If you're getting him ready to go in the ring of course you'd have to trim fetlocks, face, do makeup on him, hoof polish etc........ (maybe even get dressed ), but seriously I think he is looking great. Go get 'em at your show
LOL, i just got him out of the stall. I groomed him this morning but that was before he rolled 10x. I just got him out of his stall, haltered him up and away we went.

All those things are on my to-do list ...including getting dressed (its 8:00pm here ..give me a break :bgrin)

Leeana H.

Here goes:

The halter looks ok. It might need to be scooted up a bit, but it's hard to see w/the fog or darkness on the pics. Also if you posted a closeup of how it fits, it would help (just a head shot).

His pose is too stretched. His legs should be perpendicular to the ground i.e. straight up and down.

Also with the way his neck is made, you might want to have him relax and reach for you more downward in his showing pose. More like the fourth photo, but with his head tucked, lowered and ears pricked (hopefully).

In pose number one and two, his front legs are close to ok, but the back legs are way out. If you want to split the back legs like an Arabian (one hind trailing), that's ok, but at least one leg has to be straight up and down (square). Many judges will ask you to square them up. Some will just leave. I know this is hard to do as my gelding loves to push back w/his hind legs and stretch and I have to watch him in the ring. (He does not do this at home.)

His body condition looks really good and his neck looks awesome.

Liz M.

[SIZE=14pt]Liz Royal is a classic shetland and they show more stretched. Liz is right because of the under bulge he has in his neck he will look better more relaxed and head lowered rather than hoisted in the air with his nose scooped up. His body looks good thats a good wt for him.His body placement in pic # 3 is just right but his neck needs to come foreward and just a bit down because of the bulging underneck.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thanks to both of you!

So i want a #3 set up, with the #4 neck. I'll have to try showing him with his neck down more to hude that buldge.

Now that i look at pic #3, his hind hooves do look to far apart. Normally i hand set his hind hooves so im sure i can get them closer, and then i slowly bait him forward pulling the lead gently and making him stretch him ownself out while bating him with the treat. Then i normally put the treat in my fist so he can only smell it and isnt over reaching. Then i go out to full lead and expect to be able to walk around him out at full lead a whole 180 degree's without him moving so i can get a good look, now i know what to look for.

Now a few more questions ...

Do you think i should sweet his throatlatch? To me it doesnt look as clean as i really want it to.

By looking at him in those pics myself, does he look like he needs to build up his front some?

He has a pretty good size hip, and then his shoulder just doesnt look quite as developed as i would want it.

Lunging has not built that up any, mostly i've just seen development in his hip and his barral has gotten allot tighter and trim and round out that haybelly he use to have. I'm happy with his hip, barrall and for the most part his neck (even though its a little thick still) ...but his throatlatch and shoulder are still bothing me.

Am i being picky or are you seeing this to?

Leeana H.

I really like this horse, and it looks like you're on the right track. Follow what Liz and lyn have said and you'll be there.

As for the years, I worked and worked on getting my gelding to give ears with mixed results. As it turns out, in the show ring he is all ears, all the time, so now I don't worry about it.

I really really like this horse Leanna... Hes looking fantastic IMO. I dont like how stretched out you have him but thats just me and I realise thats how its done. I agree with the neck thing but as I said I really like him. Good Luck! :saludando:

leanna he looks good! i agree though his chest needs some conditioning. lots of trotting! dont forget to set his croup.

Have to agree with all that has been said.

And too wanted you to know I think you are doing a good job with him!

Good luck, and have fun!

Thanks everyone!

Over the past two weeks i've really seen allot of changes in him physically. We still have about 20 days untill our first show so im hoping we can only improve!

I'll post more pics closer to the show of the 'final product'

Leeana

hey are you showing in ashland on the 10th?? myself and fran will be there
default_smile.png

kaykay Posted Today, 04:36 PM hey are you showing in ashland on the 10th?? myself and fran will be there
Yes, im showing Youth M/G under 46'' the 10th (sat) and i will be showing Open halter Sr. Gelding under 46'' the 11th (sun).

I was thinking about doing the Jackpot liberty .....but i want to keep it simple.

We just got his papers back today from ASPC (we had to overnight them) to change his papers over to gelding and then im going to go over to the library and photocopy it tonight so i can send in everything for the show.

I already asked for that weekend off from work and my last day of school is June 7th!

Will you two be showing? I dont want to end up agianst crunch
default_wink.png
:.

Leeana

yes we will all be showing in the over division. Not showing in shetland division
default_smile.png
Ill be showing crunch and black and kyle will be showing chief. Fran will be showing legacy and lacey.

Im going to put crunch in jackpot liberty for fun. he goes way too fast but im working on it LOL. If you decide you want to do liberty one of us will go in with ya

[SIZE=14pt]Bruce may be coming to that show with some of his horses and maybe one of mine ....we will see. I may even come so that I can get my mares to docs for breeding. Can someone send me a price list?[/SIZE]

Lyn

lyn do you mean a class list for the show?? go to www.geocities.com/foxlanefarm

its wierd how he has it. you have to save to favorites and then print

[SIZE=14pt]Yes thats what I meant.... Dont know if I can convince Barry to come to bring Shirley to Docs and maybe throw an extra one maybe GQ will be ready for a halter class.[/SIZE]

Lyn

you know your welcome to stay here ! im about 2 hrs from the show

[SIZE=14pt]Thanks KAy, I have family in Mansfield so I cant stay anywhere else.... you know how it is![/SIZE]

Lyn

Back