Pics of my new "big" colt.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelotcavs

Reaction score
My how he has changed....

Here he is a couple months ago:

marefoal2.jpg

He is such a doll and so good minded. Anything I do with him he just takes in stride.

Rocky's pedigree His name is pending.

Here he is today.

rocky1-1.jpg

This pic makes him look short necked but shows his butt.

rockyside.jpg

The missing mane is compliments of his half brother who got him over the fence. (And I do not leave his halter on him when I am not working with him.)

Nice BUM!
default_wub.png

I see Impressive back there, so he will have to be tested for HYPP before he is registered, or how does that work.
default_unsure.png

I really like how his stockings are almost even...and I think I love his MOMMA!!

Last edited by a moderator:
His dam is 17 years old and recently went to a therapy program.

His sire is a 6x World Champion.

No worry about HYPP.

His dam is 17 years old and recently went to a therapy program.His sire is a 6x World Champion.

No worry about HYPP.
I am just curious, not saying you have to worry about it, especially if both parents are N/N, but doesn't the AQHA require testing for it before registration now? I thought ALL Impressive bred horses had to be tested nowadays.

AQHA does have guidelines for HYPP and registration but this little guy is a solid APHA (Paint).

Also if you go back in his pedigree to Impressor (four generations back) even though he is a son of Impressive his HYPP status is:

IMPRESSOR H, QUARTER HORSE, 1974

Color: br

HYPP N/N

H-34

1975 Open World Champion Yearling Halter Stallion

AQHA registration regarding HYPP:

© Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis (HYPP)-designation effective for foals born on or after January 1, 1998. A muscular

disease caused by a hereditary genetic defect that leads to uncontrolled muscle twitching or profound muscle weakness,

and in severe cases, may lead to collapse and/or death. According to research, this condition exists in certain

descendants of the stallion Impressive, AQHA registration number 0767246.

(1) The following notification shall be placed on registration certificates of foals descending from the stallion Impressive or

any other bloodline determined to carry the HYPP gene:

This horse has an ancestor known to carry HYPP, designated under AQHA rules as a genetic defect. AQHA

recommends testing to confirm presence or absence of this gene.

When the parent(s) tracing from the HYPP line has tested negative for HYPP with an appropriate designation appearing

on their registration certificate, the above notification is not required, and will, instead, be substituted by the designation

N/N; or, after testing negative for the gene, the notification may be substituted by the designation N/N upon request of

the owner at his or her expense.

(2) Mandatory testing for HYPP. At such time as AQHA requires mandatory parentage verification of any foals to be

registered in either the numbered or appendix registry, (see 202(g) any foal tracing to bloodlines known to carry the HYPP

gene, shall be tested for HYPP at the time the genetic testing for parentage is performed. The results will be designated

on the registration certificate in lieu of the above notification. Such testing will not be necessary if the foals closest

ancestors, tracing to the HYPP line, have been tested negative, and designated on their registration certificates, which

foals will automatically be designated N/N on their registration certificate.

(3) Effective with foals born on or after January 1, 2007, all descendants of the of the stallion Impressive, AQHA

registration number 0767246, shall be required to be parentage verified and HYPP tested, subject to the

conditions in ©(2) above. Any foal testing homozygous positive for HYPP (H/H) will not be eligible for

registration with AQHA.

Here is a pic of his sire although he is now a 6 time World Champion (It is an old flyer).

DoubleGinandTonicColorFlyerA1211061.jpg

Gin is the sweetest stallion I have been around in a long time. He is actually darker than the flyer shows. My APHA mare is over there for breeding as Gin's owners have listed him for sale - may be my last chance to get another of his babies.

Awesome! It just kills me to see horses with a positive being bred...it was bad enough when they pretended there wasn't a problem, now that they know it, there is no excuse.

So why, I wonder, KNOWING the problems with HYPP, is the APHA not requiring testing as well?
default_no.gif

Awesome! It just kills me to see horses with a positive being bred...it was bad enough when they pretended there wasn't a problem, now that they know it, there is no excuse.

So why, I wonder, KNOWING the problems with HYPP, is the APHA not requiring testing as well?
default_no.gif

It is the same with HERDA. AQHA acknowledges that it can be tested for but does not require testing for registration.

---------------------------------------------

From AQHA.org site:

HERDA

UC DAVIS RELEASES HERDA TEST.

Last month, The American Quarter Horse Journal reported Cornell University had released a test for the hereditary disease HERDA that is found predominantly in American Quarter Horses.

The University of California-Davis, has now also released a test for the disease. The American Quarter Horse Foundation and the Center for Equine Health at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine funded the research that identified the gene responsible for the mutation.

HERDA most commonly affects certain lines of cutting horses. UC Davis’ study of a control group suggested that 3.5 percent of Quarter Horses are carriers of the disease. Because carriers do not show symptoms of the disease, which include loose skin, lesions and inability for wounds to heal, owners and breeders rarely know they have a carrier.

Most symptomatic horses diagnosed with HERDA are euthanized because they are not able to be ridden and have a low quality of life due to the condition of the skin, scarring and lesions along their backs. Horses don’t typically show symptoms until they are 2 years old.

The DNA test is available through the UC Davis Veterinary Genetics Laboratory. Further information, including pricing for the test, can be found at www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/service/horse/HERDA.html.

It is the same with HERDA. AQHA acknowledges that it can be tested for but does not require testing for registration.
That is so sad...so many horses to suffer because of a few extra bucks.

Latest posts

Back