Photoshop Elements 6.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Bottom Ranch

Reaction score
I see so many of you doing wonderful art projects with cropping, cutting, and pasteing, I'm in awe of the talent that so many of you have. So...........I'm looking for a couple tips please!
default_laugh.png

I started just a basic project for practice, and I wanted to add a cutout profile to the left hand corner. When I crop it out, it just doesn't look natural around the forelock and mane area. I wondered if anyone has any tips they can share for cropping around the mane and forelock areas on a horse? I'm using Photoshop Elements 6.

Spot.jpg

This is the profile I want to crop, and add (in black and white) to the left side of the above project.

Pictures137z.jpg

Thank you!

Maybe if you showed us what you get that you don't like we might be better able to make suggestions. Right now I'm confused about what to recommend. That's a great picture to play with - nice and clear - not to mention a very nice subject.

Thanks Donna! What I really want to know is, what is the best tool, and the easiest way, to crop around the forelock and mane to make it look realistic? Whenever I try, I always get part of the background in there, and it doesn't look natural. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough, and taking enough time for the detail.

zoom in on the area you want to edit and use a very small brush. Yes it does take time and you have to be patient ( which is why I have my husband do the detailed editing)

BTW I love the added effects on the first photo. did that come with Elements?

Thanks Donna! What I really want to know is, what is the best tool, and the easiest way, to crop around the forelock and mane to make it look realistic? Whenever I try, I always get part of the background in there, and it doesn't look natural. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough, and taking enough time for the detail.

I don't use the same program as you have but when I get something that is difficult to get a good clean line on I "paint" around it with a contrasting color before I crop the picture. Then you may need to magnify it to be sure and get all the detail you want fixed. My best suggestion is to just keep trying different things until you find what works best for you. Practice. Practice. Practice....and the best part of it is that it's fun while you're learning.

Great! Patience is something I do not have!
default_laugh.png

Yes, the detail on the first photo is from elements, the burned-in edge effect, and the graphic is just a flower increased in size, filled with grey, and turned the opacity down to 50% I think.

....and the best part of it is that it's fun while you're learning.
Thank you for the tip Donna............and yes, it is definately fun!!! I love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Karla,

I bought a book when I first got my elements 6, and it has been absolutely priceless for me! I use it ALOT! It's called "The Photoshop Elements 6 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski. The tutorials are so easy to follow, and they actually work! It really covers alot of stuff in there too. I just looked, and they do have a Elements 7 edition out there.

I just looked, and they do have a Elements 7 edition out there.
YES!! I'll order it today! It's a bit odd to think something is so complicated one needs a many chaptered book to discover all there is--or maybe the book should come with the program? Gee--there's a thought.
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks, Geri!!

LC--give me 6 months.
default_laugh.png

I'm really surprised that a program like that wouldn't come with a book or, at least, a tutorial. My Photo Explosion did; 4 disc's and a 240 page manual.

I was really surprised mine didn't come with a manual too..............BUT.........lucky me, there was a subcription card in there for a photoshop magazine!
default_new_rofl.gif
The book I bought is by far more informative!
default_aktion033.gif

The one thing I really love about the Elements is the guided section for doing quick photo edits! It's so easy to use, and if you use nothing else from that program, it's still worth it!

Gosh--there were several titles to choose from, and some didn't have reviews--so I finally went with "Teach Yourself VISUALLY Photoshop Elements 7". Hope it was a good choice!! I saw the one you have, Geri--but it's not for sale yet.

I agree on the guided edit feature... the touch up part is fun. I just got rid if a truck and a fence post.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back