PH Testing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
I was wondering for those who PH what is the longest you have had a mare test ready? Ive had a mare testing ready for 4 days now and still nothing! Im going crazy!

Thanks,

Gage

Well "ready" can be deceptive because of the test strips. I found a long delay once but it was because the strips only went to 6.4. Found another type of test strip and they go below 6 and I've got a mare testing at 6.0 this morning. I expect her to foal within 24 hours. Combined with all the loose poo, I expect a couple hours...

We're using 3 name brands right now and they test a little different. One goes to 6.4, one goes to 6.2 and one goes to 5.0.

I've had excellent luck with the pH testing and find it the best predictor.

Im sure youre getting frustrated waiting, lol. Ive never had one go that long, she must be holding onto that foal for a bit longer, but keep a close watch on her.

For the first time this year, I tried a new test strip and I really like them. Its called Foaltime. IT comes with little smalls trips and a color chart. There is no mixing or anything, you just take one test strip and get a drop or two of milk on it and it immediately turns colors, check your color and there you go. All three mares this spring tested correctly and foaled within 24 hours so that is good. No mixing or waiting on these test strips so I like them much better. Good luck on your foaling and hope all goes well.

Im sure youre getting frustrated waiting, lol. Ive never had one go that long, she must be holding onto that foal for a bit longer, but keep a close watch on her.

For the first time this year, I tried a new test strip and I really like them. Its called Foaltime. IT comes with little smalls trips and a color chart. There is no mixing or anything, you just take one test strip and get a drop or two of milk on it and it immediately turns colors, check your color and there you go. All three mares this spring tested correctly and foaled within 24 hours so that is good. No mixing or waiting on these test strips so I like them much better. Good luck on your foaling and hope all goes well.
Thanks for the tip Laura.......Where did you buy them?

I agree with the Foal-Time strips (the name of the strip is the name of the web site). I was sent a sample to try and it was VERY easy to use. No mixing, no going back to the house to dilute and swish. Got the result right there at the mare and it was extremely accurate. One mare tested at 6.4 and foaled within 6 hours; the other mare tested at 6.7 and foaled within 12. I had been getting 6.4 pH on my pool strips for over a week on the mare who tested at 6.7 on the Foal Time strips. As a disclaimer, the pool strips were 2 years old which may have had some influence on that reading. BUT, that fact aside -- the Foal Time strips were just WAY more convenient. I highly recommend.

Back