Persistant Diarrhea in Young Stallion ----> FINAL UPDATE ON 9/24/2009!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was my feeding program - then why would he have had it since he was a young colt and even on his breeders feeding program? I've had all the horses on the same program and he's the only one that's had the problem even before he was purchased by myself. 

As far as the fescue/clover mix hay goes, there really isn't all that much clover in there. . . and just spent a very pretty penny on a whole bunch of the stuff, plus everyone has really fattened up on it and I am very pleased with that. No slobber on this farm - that is exactly how I know there is a minimal amount in there as Sampson will DROOL anytime he gets into any that is abundant.

I am trying to think of things that would have caused it persistantly since he was a YOUNG COLT. We are talking about weanling and on up here and I am utterly confused. The breeders vet couldn't even find anything and neither can mine - we are at a loss here!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to agree with Marty.

I have one question did you have that hay before you brought him home? I have a gelding that everytime he eats any really grass hay he gets very bad pooppies. I feed only straight timothy. Also what cutting is the hay? I have had people tell me never to feed third cutting to any horses.

Maybe try him on just plain hay cubes and regulate his water to make sure he is not drink to much water.

I also like probios and it should be fed everyday.

Good Luck

Yes, I have had some of this hay since before he was purchased - this batch he is getting now is second cutting. 

Try switching the type of hay and see if it works. Our mare has not had one incident of loose stools since we switched to Coastal hay. You should be able to get several grass varities in your area ( coastal, orchard should be easy to find)

With us we saw a difference within a week.

UPDATE:

I am going to go ahead and try Safeguard for 7 days first and then Metamucil - but I need to know the details about how, when and how often to administer. 

Thanks guys!

I know someone in another state who just about put a horse down, the diarhea was so bad. Nothing helped it. Turned out she was horribly allergic to alfalfa. She can only have grass stuff with no alfalfa even in pellets, etc.....

I agree with others here... to much stuff can be also causing upsets. I like the KISS method of feeding myself and dont use a lot of supplements, etc....

If you have been feeding grass, then change to a different type or alfalfa. I would try something completely different than what you have been doing, but I would also make sure that worms and sand are not part of the problem.

I would also contact another vet that may be able to help. Have any tests been run? Perhaps there is something else internal going on with this horse that cannot be detected without further looking by a competant vet.

1. We have tried putting him on orchard hay, oat hay, alfalfa pellets and cubes and fescue hay - no change 
  2. Currently I am only feeding grain and hay with no supplements (have tried strategy, omolene, senior feed, sweet feed and plain oats) - no change 
  3. We had a fecal test ran - he showed positive for strongyles so we wormed with Zymectrin Gold two weeks ago - no change except got rid of his belly
  4. Now we are treating (3rd day out of 5) with the Panacur Powerpack - no change as of yet
  5. We have tried grain only diets - no change
  6. We have tried hay only diets - no change
I'm starting to lose my mind 
default_wacko.png

I am thinking it may be sand or may have an infestation of worms that just aren't showing up - therefore I am going to use Safeguard for 7 days and then Metamucil but I need to know how often and how much to administer the Metamucil "soup" and if that doesn't work - then we will go to Sand Clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wouldnt get Metamucil, I would get the kind for horses in the pelleted form.

You should do it once a month regularly.

I can't help but wonder if the fescue in the hay isn't the culprit with this horse !!

Just my thoughts,

Joyce

If he had a very heavy worm load he could possibly have some extensive damage within his gut.

It make take a while for it to heal.

you also say you have tried other hays but for how long? I would give any new feed or hay at least 4-8 weeks before I switched to something else. And only change ONE thing at a time, that is the only way you can pinpoint what may be causing the issues.

We tried each kind of hay with him - switching every 3 months over the time I have had him and his previous owner used several different remedies as well. 

I just got back from the store and picked up Sand Clear - how much should I be giving to him per feeding - twice per day? Also, how long should should I continue to use the sand clear?

I will also be giving him Safeguard for 7 days if the sand clear doesnt work out. 

Read the directions. Give him the dosage according to his weight. It give it once a day for 7 days straight each month. My horses gobble it right up out of my hands.

Last edited:
It says 1 scoop per 1,000lbs. daily for 7 days out of each month and give "less" to ponies, yearlings and foals. . .so would a half scoop be fine per day?

When I feed mine the sand clear, I just give them about 1/2 inch worth in the bottom of the cup that is included.

I have just gotten a veterinary medical book and when I looked up diarrhea - I got the following possibilites that would cause prolonged diarrhea:

1. chronic salmonellosis
  2. intestinal parasites
  3. sand ingestion
  4. chronic liver disease
  5. tumors in digestive tract
  6. malabsorbtion syndrome
What is your opinion on all of these?
I will begin treatment for sand ingestion tonight with the feeding regimine.

I feel for you!! I had a young filly with the same problem. We finally figured out she was consuming too much of her mineral block. We took it away, and TADA!!! the diarrhea went away!

I sure do wish you luck, that is NO fun!

Lisa

Katie,

It sounds like you are really trying everything possible to correct the problem - I also had a mare that no matter what I tried nothing helped stop her diarrhea.

A long time horse friend gave me this suggestion - to feed her coconut macaroon cookies every day - I was desperate so decided to give it a try - it worked - it took a few days but she was soon diarrhea free.

Not sure "if" this would help your little man but it certainly won't hurt to try.

Good luck and (of course) my horse learned to love and look forward to the cookies.

I am going to be getting pictures of exactly what I am looking at this morning and see what you guys think. I have started Sand Clear last night and haven't noticed improvement yet - how long until it should work? Also how much Metamucil should I administer to him? I would like to make it in the soup so need to know how much to give to him.

I was watching him this morning and his "poops" start as a bunch of small farts and then it just looks like he is peeing out his butt hole! There is NOTHING except brown water coming out of him even though he gets A BUNCH of hay every night and grain twice a day. 

Latest posts

Back