Persistant Diarrhea in Young Stallion ----> FINAL UPDATE ON 9/24/2009!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't do both Sand Clear and metamucil at the same time. At this point I really think he should be treated for ulcers as he's been through so much.

Good luck with him. I dealt with a very young foal several years ago who had chronic diarrhea, in fact, almost lost him. As a last resort, my vet told me to go the Metamucil route. I gave it to him by syringe 3 times a day for 2-3 days, then twice for a couple. He showed a marked improvement by the second day and never had the problem again.

Since then, if I see any signs of runny poop, I immediately treat the horse with Metamucil.

He's very lucky to have you.

Barbie

After Sand Clear I plan on trying Metamucil. . .could I go ahead and treat for ulcers at the same time while giving sand clear? Im so afraid I am doing too mcuh at the same time. 

I am also trying to find BioSponge and Ulcer Guard, can anyone tell me where to get them? I don't think my feed store has them but maybe TSC does?

Try giving 1/2 scoop of the sand clear. Give it a chance to work.

Last edited:
Okay. . .so before I go into detail about the situation, here is some information about the horse I am talking about

• Name: Ranger
  • Height: 33.5"
  • Coat Condition: Shiny and healthy
  • Eyes: Clear, moist and bright
  • Body Condition: Slightly underweight (part of the current problem)
  • Energy: Playful, jumps logs, comes running when called
  • Appetite: VERY good - begs for his grain, licks it up and begs for more - eats all his hay as well
  • Hydration: Very good - no signs of any dehydration
  • Current Amount Of Grain: 4 cups daily (2 cups AM & 2 cups PM)
  • History: I am his second owner - breeder reports he has had this "diarrhea" since he was young --- found out he had Strongyles (and had given it to his pasture mate/lover Missy) so we dewormed immediately
  • Current Medications Given: wormed with Zymerctrin Gold every 6 weeks (hasn't cleared it up) and now started the 5 day Panacur PowerPack 
My vet says (quote) ". . .he doesn't look wormy. . ." and my vet is really at a loss. He has minimal experience with Miniatures and I am really starting to question his value to me at this time, and I am currently shopping for a new vet. We did run the fecal test on him which found he had strongyles so we dewormed immediately and after 2 weeks post-deworming I am still stuck with a Cremello stallion with his whole but and tail soaked with "brown fecal soup" - which I desperately want to clear up not only because of cosmetic reasons but I am sure this diarrhea is causing some sort of damage to his body. 
default_no.gif

My vet suggested a "hay only" diet and that worked for 2 days and then it was back again. . .then we tried Probios. . .gone for a day and then back again. I am VERY frustrated and I can't keep spending money on stuff that isn't working and I definately don't have the money to be paying for exam and tests over and over again. . . especially when it's $80 just to get him out of his chair 
default_wacko.png

If anyone has any ideas - throw them out there - I need help ASAP. 

UPDATE WITH REQUESTED INFORMATION:

I live in the upstate of SC (Spartanburg County to be exact, if you know where that is) and while I wouldn't say we have as much sand as in FL, my horses are on a dirt/sand paddock 24/7 for 5 days out of the week.

I am currently feeding fescue/clover mix hay - was feeding oat hay but the horses didn't care for it much but they are begging for this mixed hay.

IDEAS SO FAR:

Here is the list everyone has come up with that I am going to put on my to-do list with him but how long should I wait inbetween each? Also, can people go into detail about each option listed below such as how often, etc.?

1- Safeguard given for 7 days

2- Metamucil

3- sellenium shot

4- Sand Clear

5- Biosponge

HERE ARE PICTURES TAKEN THIS AM! (sep. 19)

2009_0919_101507AA.jpg

2009_0919_101609AA.jpg

I havent read all the replies yet, so I am not sure if this has already been mentioned. I have a yearling gelding who was having persistant diarrhea for a little bit(as bad as the photos you posted). I couldnt figure out what was causing it. We thought maybe it was the new hay, so we put him back on last years hay and that didnt change anything. We hadnt changed his grain, so we knew it wasnt that. Then as a last ditch effort before calling the vet, I took his salt lick out of his stall. Within 24 hours, the diarrhea had stopped. It was his salt lick causing the whole problem. He cant have the salt blocks you get from the grain store. I've tried them from 2 different places and we run into the same problem. However, he can have the Redmond free choice salt or the Himalayn salt rocks with no problems at all, so he still has access to salt when he wants it. Not sure if your horse has a salt lick or not, but might be worth taking away for a bit and see if it helps any at all. Not sure if my horse just has a sensitive system, if he's sensitive to something that was in the block or what. However, within 24 hours of taking the block away, my whole problem was resolved and I was no longer having to wash his tail and rear end 3 times a day.

Sorry you are going through this and cant find an answer. It's very frustrating when that happens!

~Jen~

GOOD NEWS! (knock on wood)

Went out for the evening feeding and check Ranger's butt - all the icky mess you see above is all dried up and he is "leaking" very little now! I took away ALL hay and just have been giving him grain and Sand Clear - He still isn't in love with the Sand Clear but he will just have to make do! I hope this is the problem and that all gets fixed with sand clear. 

I am wondering though - I would like to keep him on sand clear everyday once per day as to never have to even think about diarrhea, would that be okay? Also, got in touch with a vet and said that since my horses are mostly on dry lots - to administer metamucil as a prevenative but how much should I give daily and is it safe for preggo mares?

Also, if he can't eat the regular hay and actually needs pelleted hay - how much alfalfa pellets should he get daily?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do the sand clear once a month for 7 days that should do the trick. I have a friend with a big horse and she gave it everyday, but I wouldn't with a mini. You don't want him to have poops are hard as rocks either.

Totally forgot about salt, but yes that is a common reason for young horses to have the runs.

Unfortunately it sounds like it is your hay, but your horse needs roughage, so you need to figure something out.

I do have a question about the hay - even with changing to several different kinds of hay - he always had the diarrhea - he had hay all last night and this morning (given at AM and PM feedings) so I really don't think it is the hay I am feeding that is bad - otherwise all my horses would be ill. 

I am going to do some more calling around - one vet offered a suggestion that he may have an intolerance to baled hay (not be able to digest the whole hay properly) on top of having sand problems and suggested that he go on pellets for his roughage but I am not sure how much to give him per feeding?

Now I just play the guessing game - I am still going to give him his hay as usual and if it clears up with just sand clear - then I know I have a sand problem 
default_smile.png

I just want to clarify for everyone...

Metamucil/sand clear/psyllium is a LAXATIVE. However, horses can get diarrhea from the irritation from sand. So therefore, it would not be good to treat for sand every day because you would be adding a laxative to the diet. Contrary to common belief, the psyllium products do not "get gooey and have sand stick to them" they simply irritate the stomach as a laxative and help muscle contractions stir things around and push sand out.

Some horses find some types of hay to be a laxative. Alfalfa is a big culprit, and sometimes orchard hay. I have found Bermuda grass hay to be somewhat constipating due to the fine stem. However, each horse has it's own tolerances and sensitivities and it is a very slow process to find out unless you want to have an allergy panel drawn up.

Be careful about changing hays, as some sensitive stomachs take a very long time for all of the bacteria to adjust to the new diet. While bacteria is building you may see diarrhea.

Bio-sponge is an excellent product, you can get it directly from Platinum Performance.

Sometimes you just hay to wait out the diarrhea, and make sure you wash frequently and apply Desitin ointment so they don't burn the hair off. I have seen horses take up to a year on steady diet and routine care, to clear up diarrhea.

Good luck,

Andrea

WWMINIs and Marty posted exactly what I was going to say. It is 5 days double dosing Fenbendazole which is Safeguard, this kills the encysted small strongyles that nothing else does, spring and fall. Zimectrin Gold is the Bot Tapeworm remedy, twice a year. And 7 days a month Sand Clear. Yeah its expensive but I read research that the human grade Metamucil isn't as effective in horses, yet its the same product, so your choice. Enrich 32 is a balancer that gives them any vitamins, protein(amino acids they use), they miss in theri regular diet, any excess they don't use/need is excreted. It is balanced to be fed with the grass hay. I agree with what Marty said on all the rest. I had a Quarter Horse with this problem and no matter what he had chronic diarrhea until I read about the lack of B vitamins. They didn't have balancers then, but that is included. Yep, looks like one problem has created another and another and there is a chain reaction, and now his poor digestive system is sensitive. Good luck!!!

It sounds like you are trying too hard. All of those worming medications can really upset the gut. Also, there is a possiblity of Coccidia, and there is a pill for that. He will clear up fast if it is Coccidia. I had a foal with cronic diarrhea and we tried everything, then tried the Coccidia medication and that was the end of it.

I also use sand out and bio-sponge for any cases I have. I try not to overdue it in the worming department as what you are putting into him is a poison, though a mild dose for worms. Still, when you do it over and over again, you really mess up his gut.

I ended up bailing out on the Panacur pack and haven't wormed with Safe Guard yet - after just 24 hours of starting Sand Clear I have seen an improvement so hopefully I have nailed it on the head! **crosses fingers**

I will post here of any changes and updates 
default_biggrin.png

We just got done dealing with a mare that had the runs. We have her some electrolyte powder with her grain. In 2 days she was having formed stools. dionne

Whoa Katie girl, slow down now. This is going to fast for you. I think your head is spinning cause mine is. I must admit, I am very concerened to see these pictures of your sick horse. Its been going on way too long I'm so sorry. After seeing this, I'd be pulling him off of all grains/feed (not hay) you are presently feeding period immediately and leave him off all grains/feed and just wait. Give his gut a rest.

When you use Sand Clear, use the directions to the letter, do not deviate from it with the only exception being the dosage.

Do not use Metamucil as Disney has pointed out, that would be over kill and defeating your purpose and cause more complications and give him runny poo.

One thing at a time, slow down, slow way down so you can realize this process of elimination and then go from there.

Hugs

Hi

I have not read all through all of the posts. I have two mares that are having this problem now and when I treat them with sand clear - probios - or Kaolin Pectin they clear up for while and then start again. I cannot put my finger on the cause either, although we are IN SAND.

I'm wondering if your boy has some kind of infection? If an antibiotic treatment would work? I am going to start mine on antibiotics.

Good luck

I agree with Marty, do not just feed grain..... or are you feeding a complete feed ?

i feel your pain!! one of my mini boys had diarrhea exactly as your pictures depict. at least 3 times a day, i was washing his tail and rear end. EVERY single day, it was a nightmare especially during the entire winter last year. i consulted 3 vets, none of whom could find the problem. i found it myself...it was the Continuex daily dewormer i was using. no vet suggested i stop using it, even when i questioned them, and several people even told me there was something in it that would HELP diarrhea. the day i stopped using it, about a year ago, he had a firm stool and has not had a single incident of runny poo since.

hope the culprit you are fighting is sand because there's a fairly simple fix to that, as you may be finding out.

Latest posts

Back