percent mare that show false heats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Approx. what percent of your mares show false heats when pregnant?

• less than 10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20%

• 30%

• 40%

• 50%

• 60%

• 70%

• 80%

• more than 90%

• Total voters

Chynagurl8

Reaction score
Okay I send my mare off to get bred, she shows NO signs of heat for 3 months and now guess what she's in heat!! This is why I want to sell my one and only broodmare, and just stick with my show horses, these girls drive me
cheeky-smiley-006.gif
wacko.gif
cheeky-smiley-006.gif
So what is your rough guess at what percent of pregnant mares show false heats?

Well hate to say it but we dont have any that show false heats. Not to say that they dont. But I will say if it has been 3 months, and she is in true heat she probably absorbed/aborted it. Do you even have any studs around to know for sure that she is in?

I have one mare that will tease the stallion her entire pregnancy (from about one week after her last cover on) but the stallion always knows the difference and just ignore this mare when she does it.

Like Ashley said, I'd suspect the mare has reabsorbed if she just started acting like she's in but hasn't until this point. I bred a mare in May who came back in in late August - she'd reabsorbed her previous pregnancy. Hopefully she's now bred back and will carry to term!

Back