Peoples Opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endless

Reaction score
I am just wondering, does everyone think that a forum is the place for peoples opinions on others horse care? I can see letting people know if there are documented cases of abuse to get help for those horses, BUT when it comes to someone venting an opinion about anothers horse or the care it is recieving, I just dont think it should be allowed.

We all have opinions and we all know some of us have strong opinions but in some cases thats all it is, an opinion and I dont think a public forum is the place for that kind of thing. It hurts peoples feelings and reputations and on some accounts for no good reason. All I am saying is people please think before posting negative comments about other horse owners, breeders ect. I believe this forum is suppose to be for learning/sharing information and for helping each other with problems, NOT to cause problems for people.

Agree
saludando.gif

Because we do not live in a perfect world and it is unrealistic to only see through rose colored glasses.

There is a link for Forum Etiquette and Rules.

Last edited:
I must agree, we should always remember this forum is a place to learn.

I do love giving my experience on some topics, and have learned a lot here.

I would have to agree Endless...

It is not living with rose coloured glasses to expect to be treated with respect.

Unless you, not you loveminis, have been and seen with your own eyes what you are agreeing to or making a comment about the best thing to do is keep it shut!

We do have freedom of speech in this country, and yours (lol), but that does not mean you have the right to publisize false information or degrading someones carature.

I want to be here to learn and share not put down and hurt.

I guess I just believe in the bible "He who has no sin cast the first stone"

ps... my spelling is terrable so if I've made mistakes please just sound it out!
default_smile.png

Mary Lou - I agree. I have a 35+ year old quarter horse on my mini farm and this year he is losing weight - still healthy - but he is getting up there. He gets the same fantastic care as my other big and mini horses get, same food, same grass - he is just old and starting to look it. I worry when someone sees him starting to get thin - that they will think he is abused - and he is far, far from that......

I am fairly new to mini's - have had them for about 2 years - but just starting to show this year. I come to the forum to read others ideas of how they do something, etc. and hope the forum stays that way. Lots of you are very, very knowledgeable in the area of our mini's. Thanks everyone!!!!

Well said Mary Lou!! I hope this forum continues to help people and that new people won't be afraid to ask the problem questions, in fear of being accused of improper care ect. I also like this forum and continue to learn new things from reading posts, I may not comment much as usaully someone else says what I have to say but I am still reading and I continue to suggest this forum to new "mini" people.

Thank you, Mary Lou... I happen to LIKE lollipops and bubblegum. Enough of the "other stuff" everywhere else in this world!

Andrea

lollipops and gumdrops are not so bad add some rainbows and hey it looks pretty good!

I think a lot of times it is easy to jump on the band wagon heck I have done it myself- but there is always 2 sides to a story and sometimes people write things that are totally false for their own reasons - be it they are mad or to get attention or cause they are truly concerned about a situation.. that is the problem we never know the whole truth or the intent behind it.

So I try (although I am human and make mistakes) to not jump on the band wagon when it is about taking down a specific farm or owner.

If someone's care of their horses is, visibly, inadequate, the first place to "vent" is the proper authorities.

I am not saying bashing is ok, but am saying I think it's hard for some to control themselves in the heat of the moment.

If someone asks for an opinion on what they are doing, they should be prepared to hear opinions or they shouldn't ask for them. That's often caused hard feelings from what I have observed.

Honestly, on some matters, I do not want to hear every one's opinions. I may not be interested in hearing "the answer" to my horse concern from someone who's owned a horse for a year or two. I may not care what Mary, Jane, and Amy (making up names) think about a certain situation. Often when I have a specific concern, I take it up personally with "my experts" or my vet vs. a message board full of people who have wide ranges of experience or inexperience. It really depends on how personally I feel about a situation as to whether or not I bring it up for a PUBLIC discussion and sharing of opinions. Not enough people think that one through before they post.

Lastly, if you have owned horses long enough, you will realize there are many "right" ways to get good results. There is not only one good or right way when it comes to many things related to horses. If I think back over my years of owning horses, there are a number of things I used to think I'd never do that I now feel are right to do, and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I think back over my years of owning horses, there are a number of things I used to think I'd never do that I now feel are right to do, and vice versa.
I agree with this completely. Life has a way of changing our minds!

People have a right to their opinion and we have a right to do reject or accept their opinions and do what we decide is best. I think it's great to hear all sides, experiences, and opinions, and weigh those opinions before choosing what to do personally.

Sometimes a reply does come across as condescending, and in that case you either ignore it or you glean the positive parts of it and take the rest with a grain of salt.

In certain cases I think we ought to confront the situation with that person privately. If nothing changes then it's probably okay to get someone else involved.

I do like Jill mentioned above, ask those that I know will give me an honest, unbiased, opinion. And those are hard to find sometimes. And we have to remember that sometimes it is just that "an opinion", we need to research and make up our own minds as to what our opinion is. Later on when you need to defend your opinion, you need a good reason why you feel the way you do.

My response is not just for the last episode on the forum but opinions in general.

Thank you, Jill, for saying very well, what I was thinking but couldn't put into words, thoughtfully. Which is why I didn't respond sooner.

There is an old saying, "we live and learn." Unfortunately, some never learn. I find it particularly disturbing when someone (especially someone new to a situation) has the attitude that they know everything and everyone should do exactly as they say. I tend to write them off and ignore them.

The same decision will not work in every situation. I think there are far too many who "vent" on the forum and condem everyone who does not do things exactly as they think they should be done. Plenty of examples on the forum right now.

Oops. Was that venting?
default_wacko.png

There is an old saying, "we live and learn." Unfortunately, some never learn. I find it particularly disturbing when someone (especially someone new to a situation) has the attitude that they know everything and everyone should do exactly as they say. I tend to write them off and ignore them.

The same decision will not work in every situation. I think there are far too many who "vent" on the forum and condem everyone who does not do things exactly as they think they should be done. Plenty of examples on the forum right now.

Oops. Was that venting?
default_wacko.png
Songcatcher you took the words right out of my mouth.
default_yes.gif

It is NOT allowed to slam another farm or horses here on this forum.

There are always TWO SIDES to the STORY!

Here is an example.. Lets say I have a Mini horse that is under Vet's care but lost a lot of weight (NOT from neglect, just could be a old horse or something we are treating and not getting good results). Someone visit's my farm and sees this skinny horse, then assumes I am not looking after it.. Goes and spreads it all over the internet that I am a bad owner and all my horses should be taken away from me.

Is this right?? I say NOT!

After hosting this forum for over 13 years, I learned a lesson many years ago… We should NOT use this forum to judge others and their horses in public.. You are asking for trouble.

So I guess the answer to Krissy (that wrote me) is.. YES.. we try to be a "non controversial forum, filled with lollypops and bubble gum".

default_biggrin.png
I totally agree with this. In my late teens I had a Standardbred mare that was 6 years old. She got sick. The vet didn't know what she had. She was just sick and lost a ton of weight. It took a year to get the weight back on her. There were people that turned her/me into animal control. I showed them the vet bills and feed bills. They thanked me and said they were sorry for jumping to conclusions. I thanked them for checking on my mare as they left. While I was a bit embarrassed, I was glad someone cared to check to see if I was in fact taking care of the horse.

We used to have a saying in the plant, actually had 2, but won't do the 2nd!

Opinions are like airplanes, and this place is an airport!!!

My momma once said, "People have what they like, or what they can afford." To this day, I remember her words and realize it's so true.

I don't believe it's fair to attack the way people have horses.

However, down right "neglet" is another issue. That's something to discuss!

Latest posts

Back