Penni- Bred- Due ???? - *New Pics - 2/28*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my goodness Anna! That story just gave me the chills all over my entire body! I had tears start before I was halfway through reading about precious Fey. Now that is a beautiful story, and I bet the memories of her are so very special. Do you have any photos of her? Or of her foals that you mentioned?

Yes I can do you some pics - but please remember they are just quick snapshots and not 'pretty' posed pics!!

Fey and with her 2nd to last foal (colt)

stranduff_fey.jpgancaster_follower_of_fashion.jpg

After 4 years of no foals, at the age of 24 she suddenly decided to become pregnant and gave us Freya, which I think hastened Fey's demise. We waited until Freya was 4 months old before letting Fey go and a month later Freya travelled with our other mares and foals on the long journey here to Wales. Pics are of Freya at 2 days - 3 years (she's 7 this year)

freya1.jpgfreya.jpgFREYA%20YOUNG.jpg

More pics next post.

One of Fey's g/sons Charlie Brown.

ancaster_charlie_brown.jpg

Then Prue a g/daughter and one of Prue's daughter Shiva (taken yesterday and Fey's first g/g/child)

pru_mares.jpgJan 038.jpg

That's all I have or can find for now! Somewhere I have a lovely close up of Fey's head - maybe I'll find it sometime!

Anna you made me cry
default_crybaby.gif
such a sad but wonderful story, she was so lucky to have found you.

Diane you bringing your mare round like that is just such a joy to read, what a shame she lost her first babies but we all know that sometimes these things are just meant to be.

The photos are so special, and I love the natural shots. Has Freya ever had a foal?

Wow, Diane and Anna- Thank you for the WONDERFUL stories!! I think this mare (whom I am test running the name "Penni" with ;) ) will come around - every day I am able to move a little easier around her, and touch her with less and less spook. We still have a ways to go, but I don't think she would have EVER let me near her in a loose pasture. She has been handled before- but apparently not much. Likely hauled in for a hasty hoof trimming, and turned back out with the herd. I am hoping to be able to at least get the lead rope on her by the time the farrier comes next weekend.

I feel bad that I do not have proper time for a real thorough reply, but wanted to get some new (albet not great) pictures from this evening's chore time.

P2210948.JPGP2210950.JPGP2210952.JPG

Thanks Diane
default_smile.png
And I can say I have had NO part in that coat except for her basic feed and worming. I have yet to put a brush to her - not because I have wanted to of coarse
default_sad.png
I too can't wait until she sheds out - I've never seen a horse her color with the darker stripe down the back- I am sure it is just something with the hair, but I am anxious to see the true color beneath all that hair- AND what she is hiding in that belly!!! I wish there was some breeding information available on her to give me some sort of idea - I am not a patient person who likes suprises LOL!

Thank you
default_smile.png

I was looking more closely at the pictures, and it does look like she may have the black legs of a bay- When she first got here, I was thinking she was a sun faded black, but after looking closer, I am thinking she may in fact be a dark bay (which happens to be my fav color ;) )

I have absolutely no history on her
default_sad.png
Not even a barn name. No idea on age (guessing young). Not registered as far as I will ever know. Her, and 12 other mares/fillies, and 3 studs were living together on a "hobby farm". I don't even know which of the three studs may be the sire to her foal. There is the Chestnut stud I rescued with her,pic included here,(who was in the same pasture for the last two months - but who knows what the arrangements were when their owner was alive), a silver dapple stud, and a black and white paint. They have oviously had hoof care in the past (though she is def. overdue - owner died around Nov, so probably been at least that long), but does not look like much else was ever done with them. Farrier will be here the weekend of March 3rd to trim the three I've got. I am hoping to be able to at least pet and catch her by then so it is less stressful for her - but if not, they will have to be done anyway - they are pretty long, though no near as bad as some I've seen.

And thats about as much as I know about her
default_sad.png
No records were found, or at least shared with myself or anyone, and by the looks of the place, I highly doubt registration was of high importance. I do have the owners name & address if that will allow you to do any type of searches, but that is the only information I have linked to her
default_sad.png

Well I can't wait to tell her you said so :) I have lots of quiet, calm chats with her while I'm cleaning her stall and feeding her- just getting her used to my voice.

I cannot see any obvious udder changes (mind you, I am unable to get real close, or feel at the moment), and her tail does have some resistence in it. Last two nights I have seen lots of butt rubbing, and occasional tail swishing, and walking around with her tail slightly elevated. Tonight I've seen her turn to look at her belly a couple of times. I am sure she isn't "real" close... But I think I am going to make myself loose lots sleep over this girl :)

It is fun to watch! I am so much more at ease having her on camera! If not, I'd REALLY be on pins and needles! I already told my boss not to expect me to work the day/night baby arrives - I need to make sure all is well, especially if she doesn't last until kind of warmer weather!

I too am excited about the Daddy guessing game
default_smile.png
If I had to pick a favorite, I'd have to say the chestnut stud I got with her, but the paint would be cool if he threw some color, and same with the grey - but all I want is a healthy, easy foaling for Mom and Baby
default_smile.png

I'm attaching the only pictures I have of the two other possible sires- both are crappy, quickly taken cell phone pics; and then one of the stud who is here with me now (with his big ole "preggo" belly too LOL)

Black and White Paint (he was really small, def. shorter than the mare) 196030_385088594908035_520993757_n.jpg

Silver Stud (appeared young, but was very aggressive by what the caretaker said) 380009_385084881575073_289475462_n.jpg

And then my chrome-y chestnut
default_smile.png
P2210936.JPG

I just love the chestnut! He is very handsome
default_smile.png
Whats his name??

Thankyou, I think so too
default_smile.png
I've been calling him Buddy, as in "Hey Buddy, you ready for your dinner" type LoL. I am thinking that is going to stick as his name, since he is a little Buddy
default_smile.png

She (Penni?) is just gorgeous. I love those dark bays as well! As for potential daddies, I'm a bit divided by the three of them haha. My problem is that I love pintos, silvers do it for me and Buddy is the cutest chestnut. Is he sabino colouring?

I have no idea on Buddy's coloring - here are two pictures of some white spots he has on his body for anyone who knows more about colors/patterns than I
default_smile.png

P2070877.JPGP2070878.JPG

I am totally hoping for a Buddy baby cos he is the cutest and I love his rich colour. I am not going to say anything else as Diane is the Spotty Dotty Lady
default_new_rofl.gif

She looks like she could be similar in color to my stallion.

Here's Topper, Jan 2012 (so similar time of year for coat condition and coloring):

Topper - Jan 3, 2012.jpg

And, then summer 2011 (all cleaned up for pics for perm papers):

topper - aug 17, 2011.jpg

Summer 2012 (natural, no clean up):

Topper - Sept  17, 2012.jpg

He had a slightly mousier coloring in the pics the seller sent me, but he was probably clipped for those pics, I haven't clipped him, as he's shed out so nicely in the summer.

Guess I can attach on of those too:

CatonTop.jpg

Oops, sorry to take so much room on your thread, but the coloring looks so similar to me.

And, I really like your little red head, Buddy sounds like a fine name for him.

~~Ooooop's - done it again!! Diane, you really must stop telling tales that set my memories flowing!!~~

AHHH - but that's a memory worth sharing w/ everyone and forever!!!

I can't decide which of the boys I like better!

Soooo I guess I'll just have to go with your own "Buddy" for now and we'll see what she has. She's a very pretty mare!

Eagle- I guess I am totally rooting for Buddy too ;) I know his personality, and he is just the cutest thing
default_smile.png
I love his rich chestnut color as well!

Chanda- your boy is gorgeous!!! I agree, my Penni does look very similiar in color to him! And yep, Buddy seems to have stuck with him; as Penni has with my little girl here
default_smile.png
Which reminds me, I can now update the title with her new official name!

Paula - Thank you
default_smile.png
I am very excited to see the baby! Color/Pattern is so totally in the air, depending on who the daddy is- this is WORSE than waiting for christmas LOL!

And now, for tonights UPDATE!!! I *FINALLY* was able to get my hands on Penni, and get a good feel of her udder.. and .... NOTTA! Feels just like it did the day she arrived, so now change there. Tail IS a little looser, and she wasn't able to rip it out of my hands- all three times I checked. I have found she LOVES carrots, and a good scratching right above her tail (which is how I got the look and feel hehe). She even let me sneak my hand down between her cheeks for the udder check LoL. New pics again in a few days to check for changes. Maybe by then I can get a PICTURE of her udder/behind to have for the record!

Back