Penni- Bred- Due ???? - *New Pics - 2/28*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merogsrha

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I just posted my two new rescues on the main LB board, but wanted to start one for my assumingly bred mare here also, to have everyone's expertise! Here is what I know about her:

She is black/bay

Likely a maiden- tiny non exhistent bag (very different from my other mare, who I know had two foals in the past)

Was running with a herd of studs and mares - who knows when/who did the breeding.

3 possible sires: The chestnut stud in the picture below, a black and white paint, or a silver dapple

And thats about it..

And here are a not-to-great front and rear pic I took of her yesterday. Will try to get more pics in a week or so to see any changes
default_smile.png
Also included a picture of the stud that was in with her and the other filly when we picked them up.

View attachment 14963
View attachment 14964
View attachment 14962
ETA: Mare is DEFINETLY pregnant. This evening while doing chores, I took a minute to just stand and watch her belly as she was hanging out. I could see a bit of movement, so I decided to feel. And I FELT the baby move. Unsure if this gives any seasoned foalers a better guess on how far along she may be? Being a likely maiden, I know she won't neccessarily follow all the rules LoL.

Any ideas on how far along she may be, with what little info I have on her?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw they are gorgeous! I always look at photos from over there, the other side of the world, and am always envious of the beautiful scenic snow and how cute the minis look in it, but realised its probably an absolute pain the backside for you guys!

Thankya! I, too, love the snow. Dont necessarily like driving in it, but love the photo ops! These guys were a little snowy from their trailer ride in these pics - I didnt think to dust 'em off - these were the just off the trailer pics LoL

And thats why I decided to post her here! My untrained eye didn't even think "lop sided baby belly", though as soon as I read your post, and looked at the pic again, my first thought was AWWWWWWWWWWW! So thankful to have an expert (in my eyes anyways!) or two here to spot things like this!

Would you dare have a rough idea at how far along she is - or maybe its easier to say how close to foaling she is? This will be my first first-hand experience with a mare and foaling. I am looking into getting a camera here soon to have, even if I am only able to have it for personal use - although getting her online would be awesome!)

ETA: Figured I may as well add a quick couple of questions-which I'm sure you've all been asked 1000000% times ;) Am I correct in assuming it is safe to deworm her with Invermectin at this stage? Farrier vist for all is scheduled in two weeks (soonest farrier can get here- I just had him out for Cookie about 2 weeks ago - and Im 60 mi one way, and his only client in this area)

And, I am currently feeding Miniature Horse & Pony Feed (Purina) and decent plain grass hay. Along with free choice H20 and mineral salt block. Is this sufficient for the mare in foal? She does not feel super skinny (not as bad as Cookie), but I am sure will benefit from proper feeding! (as will the stud - who has a BIGGER belly than the mare, not even kidding!) and Cookie who is still trying to gain weight. I can't wait for spring to be here so they can shed and I can tell what they REALLY LOOK like, rather than going by feel alone ;)

and ETA again since I forgot the original question I meant to ask in the first place- can I change the title of this thread from "likely bred" to "Bred, Due- ???" or does a Moderator have to?

and ETA again since I forgot the original question I meant to ask in the first place- can I change the title of this thread from "likely bred" to "Bred, Due- ???" or does a Moderator have to?
Go to your original post, click on edit, then click on full editor, and you should be able to fix the title.

Thankya! I thought I tried that once before and couldn't; but maybe I am thinking of a totally different horse-y forum board ;)

What a cute little girl! And yes, just as Diane said, that first picture was the give away!! So now we need more pics taken from down at her level - get down on your knees so we get a side on pic from her level and maybe one from directly behind her if she doesnt mind?

Oh and welcome to the Nutty Nursery - we are here to help these mares get their babies safely delivered, so feel free to ask any questions, there is no such thing as a silly question here on this forum.
default_yes.gif

Glad you ladies (and any gents!) could spot that right away for me
default_smile.png
I will get side on and rear pic on her level within next day or so as soon as I can. I do not have any extra hands to help, so Ill do my best
default_smile.png
I really need to get a rough idea of how far off she may be from foaling. My set up at this particular second is NOT ideal for a mare to be foaling. Working on getting something better in the works ASAP - just be nice to have a rough idea of how much time I may have :)

Going to try and get more pictures tonight of the little lady - Not sure how I will fair, but will do my best! Will also try and get an udder and 'back there' pic to use as comparison as time goes on
default_smile.png

I was able to take a couple of quick pictures last night before I did chores.

I know she (and the stud) need farrier work done ASAP - trying to get my guy to come a couple of weeks early as he isn't scheduled to be back in the area until the first weekend in march. I'd really prefer to get these guys' feet done before then!

Couple of quick questions for everyone:

Is worming with Invermectin (sp?) OK at this stage in pregnancy? And also, is there a recommended worming schedule that differs fromt he normal, for a mare in this stage of pregnancy and worming history (which is NONE as far as I can tell!)

**ETA: By reading another post in this forum, I understand it is OK to work her with invermectin (sp?) now and after foaling, so I will go ahead and do this mare, the stud, and Cookie (YES, I am still trying to come up with fitting names for the two newbies
default_smile.png
)

What is the MINIMUM size stall I should be getting ready for this girl? She is Small, not teeny tiny, but a bit smaller than Cookie. I am assuming 8X8 would be the absolute Min.; but I am looking into at least 10 X 10, and larger if it is space/financially possible.

Temperature concerns - I am in FAR Northern NY, where our temps have been well below zero (-30 before wind chill some nights) lately, and looks like its to be expected more in the next few weeks. I'd like to start getting together a basic kit for foaling time - especially incase it happens to be on one of the FRIGID nights - What do you recommend? I know some obvious ones, but it helps to hear it from people with much more experience!

Any other new-to-foals tips?

OK onto pics:

m1.jpgm2.jpgm3.jpg

No udder/back there pics- I am trying to gain her trust without scaring her, so I didnt quiet catch her. As soon as I can get the stall and run for her built or catch her without too much issue, Ill get those!

Anyone have a better idea, with new pics, on how far off she may be from foaling?

Anyone??? I got the pics I was asked to post, and have asked questions, but have not gotten any more replies?? I know people have seen the new pics... about 70 new views since I added them, but not a single reply
default_sad.png

I agree with Diane, she looks great with a lovely healthy coat, I too would say she is awhile off foaling so that gives you time to build the nursery and hopefully the weather will warm up. I would go with a min of 8x8, my stall partitions can be removed so I open up 2 stalls into 1 when the girls are foaling and this gives them plenty of room. I am in Northern Italy where the winters are very hard so I always have foal rugs and a heat lamp ready. (I would only suggest a heat lamp if you have the stable on cam as Fire really worries me.) Us oldies here are also very fussy about having deep straw beds for foaling out as this is not only much warmer the straw doesn't stick to the foals umbilical stump. Anna is the bed making pro, ask her to post one of her foaling stalls and you will see what 5 star treatment her girls get.
default_yes.gif

LOL!! You lot seem to have a fixation about my bedding (or rather my horse's bedding!!) This 'bedding' addiction of mine stems from the year 1960 when I went to work/train at one of the, then, leading equitation centres in the UK (I had had my own horses for several years before this and worked my way through my Pony Club exams etc) 60 odd horses (full sized of course) at this place, all 'posh' liveries, competition horses, dressage horses plus several working towards going to the Olympic Games. Then there were also around 25 'school' horses for us training minions to ride. We each had the responsibility for 5 of these fully stabled horses, plus we were expected to take on one or two more each day as the various trainees had their day off per week. We worked a 12 hour day (6am to 6pm) 6 days a week (Monday was my day off), plus 4 evenings as the school horses were also used for evening lessons for clients. That said, the school horses were really well treated - no horse allowed to give more than two lessons per day and one evening lesson per week, and if the two lessons were close together, they were not allowed to 'follow on', the horse had to have at least two hours back in it's stable to relax/munch on its hay between lessons. Very strict place as far a welfare was concerned!!

Anyhow to the bedding! Back then here in the UK we used to have what was known as threshed wheat straw - long full length straw like that that came from the old fashioned threshing machines, not the short chopped up stuff we get these days from the modern machines! These bales were huge, needed two people to carry them and they were done up/tied with wire not string. Each one was about the equivilant of 5 of our normal sized 'today' bales. We had to pile this straw into the stables (all stables were 15x15' in size), packing it down hard to the floor and piling it in until the horse was standing on at least 6 to 8 inches of packed down bedding - that is on top of not 'sinking' in with straw fluffed round his feet - then the same thing was done round the edges/walls of the stable on top of the bedding already down, building up well packed down big banks exactly to the height of 2' 6", slightly sloped back to the wall at the top. The straw bed went right to the door, but we were also taught how to plait a line of straw across the doorway to hold the bedding back when the door was opened or the horse stepped out. When a horse left its stable someone rushed over to tidy and reset the bed and to sweep any stray bits of straw back in from the yard - no tiny bits of straw or hay ever allowed to be seen on the yards! - so horses always returned to clean tidy stables after their lessons/exercise. Daily mucking out was a nightmare I can tell you, but it was easier with the long straw, plus the depth of the bedding worked a bit like shavngs and all the wet went through away from the surface and 'sat' in a neat circle underneath. When the weather was dry we were allowed to tie the horses up outside their stables with their haynets while we mucked out, but any wet or cold weather meant that we had to manage with the horse in situ. But all mucking out was done and the yards perfectly cleaned by 7.30am when we then had half an hour to gobble down our breakfast before the general work for the day began.

This was also where I learned the 'dropping' rule that I continue today - one pile of droppings in a stable is allowed providing you are busy elsewhere, two piles are extremely bad as this means that you havent seen/checked on the horse for a couple of hours and it could have become cast/got colic etc., and three piles meant you were asked to pack your bags and leave!! After hearing rumours that people had indeed been chucked off the yard for three piles, one became very careful to watch the horses in your care for piles of droppings! In fact it was the only place that I have ever visited where you could walk round the yards at anytime in the day and RARELY find a pile of droppings in a stable - just clean fresh tidy beds. The first thing I look for when going round any yards is how many piles of dropping are to be found in their stables - old habits die hard LOL!!

For the year that I was training at this place I had the pleasure of taking care of three of their Lippizana stallions amongst the other horses I looked after. In spite of being white, I very rarely had to 'wash' any stable stains from their coats thanks to the depth/amount of bedding supplied. I sure missed those lovely boys when I had passed my final exams and my time came to leave, so much so in fact that for the following year I travelled back every three weeks to have a private dressage lesson with the owner/chief instructor and actually got to ride my boys (they were only used for special private advanced lessons as they were classically trained)

Oh - and we had to PAY to be allowed to work at this place!!!
default_yes.gif

Oooops - sorry for the long post - got carried away as the memories came flooding back!

Wonderful Anna, what a wonderful experience, thanks for sharing with us. I just love your stories
default_yes.gif
The only time I didn't bed down on straw was for Britt last year as she was 6 weeks early and I wasn't prepared (already having family probs at the time) It was a total nightmare on shavings and wow you should have seen the state of my house! I was running in and out to fill Merlin's hot water bottles and wash out his milk bottles, after 2 days I had more shavings in the house than in the stable
default_frusty.gif
No wonder hubby run off
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
good riddens cos horsey houses rock!!!!!

Sorry, my computer (which I leave on constantly) was brought down by someone hitting an electric pole, so I had to do some maintenance last night when I got home on some corrupted files and I couldn't seem to get to all the threads here. So happy it's working well now.

The pictures are so nice. She looks very good -- and it looks like baby is still making her tummy a bit lop-sided, which says baby isn't in the "go" position yet. And these mares can get VERY W-I-D-E even a month before birthing, so I think you've got time.

My mares 28" - 34" have foaled in 8 x 8 stalls with no problems, but the extra 2 feet would have been nice -- but when I built the barn we did everything to "standard" lumber sizes for ease of construction. But, don't go below the 8 x 8, as it can be a little cramped with more than 1 person in attendance.

She looks nicely "rounded" from the side and nothing is screaming "imminent birth" to me, so I believe you have time to get done what you're wanting to do. Is there any udder development that you can feel? Or does she allow you to move her tail aside? Test the "tail" and see if she can easily pull it away from you. As mares get closer to delivery, the butt muscles and tail start to lose their "tone" and become looser. If you move her tail aside, and she can easily pull it away from you, then she's not started loosening up -- so you should have time for all your changes.

Where in NY are you from? I'm from the Adirondack Mountains, in Lake Placid, where the -30 to -40 below temps were quite common in February. I only had big horses when I lived there -- Arabians.

So, by the looks, I'm saying she's got some ways to go. I'll be interested in what you feel or don't feel in the udder department once you can more easily move around her. But meanwhile, she's looking very good and healthy!

Such a pretty girl!
It's Ok Diane, I was a little excited to hear more information, and maybe being a little impatient ;) Glad you computer is back up and running with no more issues - Got to love technology ;)

Glad you believe I have some more time to go- I was really hoping I had at least a couple more weeks to get everything prepared. Funds should be available early in the week to get a mini-nursery done up for this little girl (who STILL needs a name! I am hoping to come up with the perfect one once I can spend some one-on-one time with her
default_smile.png
) . It looks like I will be able to go 8X8 with a 16X8 attached run for now. Once spring comes full force I will be getting a larger pasture fenced in for everyone. Great to hear I should be OK with the 8X8 stall for a mare her size. I definetly won't go any smaller. I am actually using another forum members plans for her run-ins (posted elsewhere)

No udder change last I was able to check (a few days), and today she is still able to pull her tail away for the most part, and the quick look I got at the end showed no apparent relaxing of the exit point ;)

Well HELLO fellow NYer! I am born and raised about 60 miles North of Lake Placid- in a small town outside of Malone. I currently live even more north, about 5 miles from the Canadian Border in a small town of Constable. Glad you are familiar with our normal winter temps up here- we have had just that low the last few weeks
default_sad.png

Thanks again for all of the advice and information! I will keep getting updated pics to show everyone so we can try and keep tabs on when the time is drawing near , especially since this is my first time with ANY foaling experience
default_smile.png

Thank you Ladies for your replies! I have a wave of relief knowing I have at least a couple more weeks to prepare for her foaling! Will have a heat lamp available, but only use when I am home and awake to keep an eye out for emergencies. Now to find a small supply of straw to use when the time comes!

Thank you Anna for your bedding story- 5 Star Treatment is an understatement!

m3(2713).jpg

This photo was taken yesterday afternoon- though it showed her belly good
default_smile.png

Me too
default_smile.png
And the sides of her belly just happened to line up with the wood to give a crisper outine hehe. She is def. fluffy- which is a good thing cause we are in the middle of a blizzard right now!

Back