Pellets?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyS

Reaction score
Sorry to show my ignorance to you all, but I've had several reply to my post about dirt barn floor with the suggestion to use pellets and I don't know what kind of pellets your talking about. And where do you get them? I mean, there's rabbit pellets, chicken food pellets... I'm assuming that's not what you mean?

ShelleyS said:
Sorry to show my ignorance to you all, but I've had several reply to my post about dirt barn floor with the suggestion to use pellets and I don't know what kind of pellets your talking about.  And where do you get them?  I mean, there's rabbit pellets, chicken food pellets... I'm assuming that's not what you mean?
480110[/snapback]

I believe people are talking about that woody product Woody Pet....You can bed the stall with that stuff instead of using shvings...But I like shavings the best JMO.

I like shavings mainly because I am only 20 miles from a place that dries bags the shavings so I can get them right from the factory..Many times i have gotten the bags as they come out of the drier and bagged and brought right to my truck at quite a savings when you buy them directly from the wood shaving place
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I use woody pet for my rabbits' litterboxes. No way does it look comfortable enough for a horse to sleep on. I like my shavings the most

The problem I'm having with the shavings or saw dust is that I don't know where to get it around here.

I know that at our local TSC store, there are acutal bedding pellets. It's some sort of a pressed material, it feels like those packing peanuts in shipping boxes, but it's a brown color. It expands up to 10x it's size when it has reached it's absorbtion point, and really does a good job of soaking up mess. We use it to line the butt side of our trailers where all the pee and poop lands, and then shavings on the head side. It's kind of expensive for a bag, but a little of it goes a long way just because it does such a good job, and expands so much. I don't know that I'd use it in a stall where a horse lays, though.

MiniSeasons said:
I use woody pet for my rabbits' litterboxes. No way does it look comfortable enough for a horse to sleep on. I like my shavings the most
480138[/snapback]

The pellets don't STAY in pellet form. They will fluff up & expand many times their size when they get moist.....nice & soft!
yes.gif
Some people will spray some water on them right away when dumping a new bag so they fluff up. But I find, if I put a couple bags in one stall....in 2 - 3 days, it has fluffed up on its own from urine. You just mix the wet spots around into the dry each day & it's amazing how it expands & absorbs! It lasts me much longer than regular shavings do...and keeps the stalls smelling better!
yes.gif
I used to use Woody Pet....but now use "Guardian". There is more in the bags & is cheaper...but is identical to Woody Pet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back