pecking order

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
Ok I have three mares that have been together. The one mare that is a buckskin has been the head honcho. No one would eat until she ate and when she moved into their area everyone would make way and get out of her way. She is in heat now and just noticed a couple of days ago that the pecking order has changed. Why?? Now my dun mare is now the head honcho and the buckskin girl moves out of her way. Is it because they might have challanged each other to change it. Might the Dun mare possibly be expecting as she looks fat but have never felt a baby moving in her like my others. Just weird how it changed and since I have only had minis for 5 yrs havent' seen this yet. any thoughts?

I know just what you mean, my top mare does just the same. When she is in season she just loves everyone and everything goes (like she is a grass smoking hippy, "love and peace man") I even caught her mounting another mare yesterday
new_shocked.gif

Then once her season ends everyone gets put right back in their place.

(Eagle) do you mean that she is more mellow? The one that was the top mare was the one that was the head honcho now in heat shes 6 yrs old the other two she would boss around were 15 yrs old the lowest on the pecking order and then the other is 9 yrs old the one in question if she is preg or not or just fat!

Our boss mare only pushes her "boss" behavior when she feels it warrants. She will let #2 and #3 eat out of her bucket sometimes, will simply walk away. There is no doubt that she IS #1 though. #2 is more likely to push everyone else around on a more routine basis. #1 simply pulls out her boss card when she feels the need or simply the desire to remind everyone. I think I remember reading somewhere that #2 will often take on the "enforcer" roll more proactively.

I love watching our herd dynamics. Now that there is 6 of them out there, it is even more interesting. We all feel bad for Baby, our first weanling we brought home. She was our third horse to come live with us but with each new addition, she falls down to the bottom run on their herd ladder.

Yes, she is totally mellow when she is in heat and will love anyone.

Wingnut I agree, my number 2 in the pecking order hassles the others regularly and keeps them in their place where number 1 only steps in if necessary. Number 1 also is very protective of new entries and keeps them away from the others until they have settled down. She will not allow ANY fighting.

I sold a mare in March who was always the at the bottom of the order whoever I put in the herd. She has just returned with her foal to be covered again. I put them out with all my girls and number 2 was being a bit of a cow so number 1 stepped in and took mother and baby to the far corner and guarded them all day. NO ONE was aloud near them.

I too love watching them and often I take a chair a just sit there for ages.

When number 1 is in season the stallion has to cover her first and then she will let him go to the others. (there has to be some advantages to being top girl
wub.gif
)

No when the #1 mare was head honcho she would not let anyone eat her food period. and if she could have reached the other areas of food to boss them she would but I spread it out so everyone has something to eat. She would eat her grain and hurry and move the others out of their area to eat theres as well. Now I have noticed #2 being the one that will not let anyone near her food and has bacially being boss over #1 now. just surprised me and wondered why #1 would be backing down from her now? Wouldn't think her being in heat would make her inferior or if #2 is indeed going to foal soon and the other two don't want to press their luck as shes getting cranky. hate not knowing things lol.

very interesting! I put the # 1 girl that was when they first arrived the head honcho of the one herd of 3 of them
default_smile.png
with my other two girls since I noticed she was being an outcast now and also noticed she was majorly inheat so decided to put her with the other to mares the one that lost her foal and the other I know isn't preg all together and decided to but the stallion in with them. I noticed now that my paly girl is the head girl and will not allow anyone near the buckskin who was #1 girl. God hope I can keep this straight lol.

Its funny as she will not allow the stallion near her and will put the run on him. wasn't sure why? so now I know. Are they all like that? Until the head mare gets bred then she will not allow any other girls to be bred? I was thinking darn I am going to have a hard time with this as shes not going to let him bred anyone. lol. She seems to be in heat too but I haven't seen her let the stallion near her. She will pee at him and wink but will turn and kick at him so must not be ready or could she just be peeing at him and not in heat? god I have alot to learn with this herd thing. I only had 3 girls last year so its neat to add more girls for bigger herd
default_smile.png

Did she go in season last month? I have a mare that was covered in her last heat and now she is peeing all over the place but won't let the stallion near her!. I am hoping she is already pregnant.

I'm talking about show mares here, my heart horse top dog in her herd of five, has to leave her herd while she is being bathed and clipped, while she is gone the second in comand takes over, but after the show when top dog returns, it is business as usual. As for breeding mares, yes the top brood mare gets bred first, then second in command and so forth . Usually the odest rules the roost, but not always sometimes it is just the most dominate. Don't worry the mares will sort it out themselves. Remember telling your kids to solve their own problems? Mares are no different.

If it were me and I wanted the mare bred I would be watching that top mare that drives the stallion off. She may not ever get around to allowing him to breed the other mares. When we first started breeding and tried pasture breeding (we have long since decided it is not a method for us for a number of reasons)we were disappointed in our foal count for a couple of years until we discovered that one mare, the dominant girl, would simply refuse to allow the stallion to breed anyone else. She would either drive the stallion off or the lower ranking mare. Most of the time she could do that by merely putting herself between them. Our stallion learned pretty quick not to even try if she was around and our mares went unbred. Went to hand breeding and problem solved.

I know he bred two of the mares and will see if they settle if they come in agian next month I will take her out and only leave one mare with him at a time. Its odd though as I didnt know they did this. She has stood for him and everything seems to be more easy going so I will see if she allows the other girl to be bred. thanks for the information
default_smile.png

Don't worry the mares will sort it out themselves. Remember telling your kids to solve their own problems? Mares are no different.
So very true!

I think you just have to watch them and see how dominant she is. My number 1 must be bred first but the others have always fallen pregnant at the same time as her so she must move on after she has done her frolicking!
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back