Peanut is sick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feather1414

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I want to first state that I am calling the vet first thing in the morning, this is more of a put my own mind to rest type thing.

Peanut has only been sick once in his life and that was 5 years ago. Very easy keeper, never had any problems.

About a week ago, I noticed when he peed there didn't seem to be a lot of pressure behind it but nothing else appeared to be wrong so I didn't think too much of it.

When I saw him today he was still peeing abnormally, but this time you could tell he was in obvious discomfort. I checked his penis for burrs or something (he has already had the bean removed, and I did check that too) but there was nothing there. He was also breathing very loudly at times, although his flanks were not heaving nor did he feel like he had a fever.

He did cough maybe twice when I was with him (over the course of an hour) but it was not productive and I didn't see any discharge from his nose. He has been pooping normally, decreased appetite, but it's still there and he is still drinking normally. He just seems to not have his usual energy which is very strange with this horse.

I'm really worried about him, like I said I'm calling the vet tomorrow. Have any of you ever had an experience like this?

I'm not really sure Jamie. My first thought was "bean" but my second thought is crystals or kidney stones. Which would cause him pain even when he isn't peeing.

I've no idea. Let us know what the vet says!

The crystals or kidney stones make sence if he has discomfert peeing.

Hoping that he is doing better soon!

Please let us know what the vet said!

The vet couldn't see me today, but he will be seeing Peanut first thing in the morning and I will let everyone know what he says.

Vet came out this morning and low and behold, when I got there Peanut seemed to be acting just fine.

The vet checked him over and couldn't find anything wrong with him. Basically told me he must be feeling better, get a urine sample if I can and that was the end of it.

Latest posts

Back