Peanut is not feeling well

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Those of you with more horse knowledge than I, please chime in here. One of my little guys, Peanut, a little gelding has been "off" all day. I just felt something was wrong. But when I let the boys out of the dry lot and into the pasture, he ran down with the other guys and looked as if he was eating, so I figured I was imagining things. However, when I brought them in this afternoon I was giving them small pieces of apple and carrot. Peanut would take one small piece in his mouth and it would take him forever to eat it. He'd chew, and chew and chew. He would move his head - not tossing it up and down - but sorta tossing it back and forth? I was concerned enough to pull him into a stall so I could monitor what was going in and coming out. He has peed twice and had one poop since 4:30. And, he hasn't eaten but maybe a mouthful of hay. When I saw he wasn't eating, I made some beet pulp soaked in hot water, added a few alfalfa cubes and a carrot cut up very tiny. Naturally he picked out the carrot and left everything else. So I then put a cup of horse feed in there, and mixed it up real well. Again, he tried to pick out the horse chow. Lots and lots of chewing - very little actual eating. And the same odd head moving front to back. I stayed out there in the stall with him for about an hour. He laid down twice - sorta odd. No rolling - just layed down with a big sigh. I put his little head in my lap and rubbed him and talked to him.

I'm going to leave him stalled tonight - left the beet pulp in there, along with his hay and water. Maybe he'll feel better and nibble on it later.

I did notice that he was standing sorta in one place with his head down, almost to the ground. Again, sorta odd.

He does have normal gut sounds, so I guess that is good.

I'm going to leave him alone tonight and check on him first thing in the morning.

Any ideas? Anything I need to be doing? I just had all the boys teeth done like...um....two weeks ago. So I'm fairly certain it isn't a tooth adjustment thing. But he certainly isn't himself. And I'm concerned.

Whenever any of my boys don't eat something is definitely wrong because they ALWAYS eat.

So I'm going to get some sleep and check on him first thing in the AM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ulcers always come to mind first when a horse here goes off his feed and acts depressed. When I suspect an ulcer, if I don't have ulcer meds on hand, I start off with dosing with probios or Dannon, Yoplait, or Activia and tagamet for a couple of days and see if that helps. If it did that tells me I was on the right path and then I will actively treat for an ulcer for about 40 days.

With the excessive chewing, you could check his mouth for something stuck in there. I just went through that too where a mare had a piece of wood stuck on the roof of her mouth that I couldn't see.

I would have a look-see in his mouth to rule out anything. It also comes to mind that perhaps his jaw is "out" from having his teeth done.

And- I agree with Marty- ulcers are always suspect.

As he has just had his teeth done I would imagine it is a tooth/mouth problem. I would have a good look inside and probably call your vet. It is possible he has gum sore or as Albahurst said, a jaw problem.

Good luck I hope he feels better soon.

Have you taken his temp and listened for gut sounds? Elevated temp is an indication of a virus/respiratory infection and of course, it is always wise to keep an ear on gut sounds when they are off in an attempt to try to stay ahead of any possible impaction issues, as well as keeping an eye on the stiffness and amount of manure output. I would probably be putting a call into the vet but it always makes life easier for them if you have some info for them to go off of. Hope he is back to himself in no time.

OK, so I've been out with him since early this morning....wait a minute, it's STILL early. Sigh. Anyway, he didn't eat any of his hay that I left with him last evening. This morning I have him on a lead and he'll eat grass. I've given him some probiotic, just to be safe. I'm feeling like it's a mouth issue. He's targeting the soft stuff to eat. Like something is hurting his mouth. I've looked in there, couldn't see anthing stuck in his throat. Vet opens at 7:30 so I'll give him a call. I'm thinking I'd like to bring him in today and have him looked at. Hopefully the doc will be available. Right now I've got him tied outside in a huge patch of the soft stuff that he seems to like, and where he can see his buddies. Hopefully that will make him less stressed. He doesn't like being by himself.

Yes, I'd have a vet come check him out. Once we had an Arab who was having trouble eating and the vet found a big splinter of wood stuck in her gum where apparently she'd been chewing on the fence or stall. Hope he's back 100% soon!

Have a call in to the vet...hubby is hooking up the stock trailer even as I type.

Vet has some stock checks this morning - cows are big around here. They will contact vet and see what time he can be at the office to see Mr. Peanut.

He's still tied out - he was laying down just a minute ago. Not all the way down like sleeping, but that sorta lay/sit that they do. I spend so much time with them that I can instantly tell when something isn't quite right.

I'm feeling more and more like it is a mouth/throat issue. But I can't see anything in there, even with a flashlight.

Right now I'm waiting on the call back from the vet to set a time. We're ready to roll - truck is out of the barn with the trailer attached. It's just waiting on the driveway.

I would do just as you are, I am sure the vet will get him fixed in no time. Good luck!

Vet had other farm calls this morning but we loaded him up and delivered him to the vet's office. He'll be in sometime this afternoon, will check on him and give us a call then.

I dropped off a copy of his dental exam with the lady's name and phone number on it, as well as what she did for him on Feb. 1. That way if he has any questions, he can call the dentist directly. I also spent an hour down in the pasture with the other three horses and the donkey checking to make sure they were all ok. So far, so good. So whatever it is, it is isolated to the one horse (so far, anyway).

It's a good think I know my horses so well and spend so much time with them. I was able to spot this almost right away. Hopefully it isn't anything major and will be corrected without too much trouble.

I had two horses act this way at the same time. They would pick at their food, had gut sounds, was passing manuer, munching on grass, head hung low, etc. but it turned out that they were both colicing. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet's, whatever it is, it's better to get it taken care of sooner rather than later.

I agree it might be ulcers, and that's something you would want your vet to check out and treat. Best to make the call now and have it treated correctly.

Best wishes,

Liz N.

Vet just called. How weird is this? Peanut has pneumonia. His temp is 103 and his lung sounds are not normal. He will give him an antibiotic and a pain killer tonight and call me first thing in the morning. If his temperature is down, and he looks good, he can come home tomorrow. He will give him a shot of atiobiotic that will be a five day dose and send one home to give at the end of those five days so he gets 10 days on the antiobiotic. If he isn't responding by the morning, then he'll stay at the hospital for a couple of days so he can be monitored closely by the doctor.

He says some respond quickly and some pneumonias are more difficult to treat.

I asked about the possibility of this being contageous and he seems to think it is isolated to Peanut. He says the constant changes in the temperatures here.....16 degrees one day 63 the next just stressed Peanut's little system.

We caught it really early, thankfully.

He is already responding a little and has eaten some alfalfa and is drinking well. So I will sleep peacefully tonight knowing all will be well. I'm so thankful I didn't take a "wait and see" method of treatment.

I did mention that I thought it looked to me like he was having some problems chewing - sorta like something stuck in his mouth and he looked and said he didn't see anything but will take a real close look at that in the morning, just to make sure it's clear.

I'm telling you, it's so easy to go from all is well to a problem all in one day.

So glad you have an answer- sounds like your vet is right on it! Good call
default_smile.png

Poor baby, Thank goodness you sent him off to the vets so fast,
yes.gif
I hope he gets better quick.
pray.gif

Absolutely!!! So glad you acted quick and got professional help from your vet.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
Wishing Peanut a speedy recovery!
default_yes.gif

Liz N.

Latest posts

Back