PBS's Antique Road Show hitting MI.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I signed up for being drawn for tickets for this yrs Antique Road Show thats coming to Detroit Michigan on June 1st. I got my fingers crossed I get picked as I have a old war/military saddle I want to get appraised. Their hitting 8 different citys this yr.

I have watched that show ever since I was a kid (now 33) and cant wait!

Heres my saddle!

attachment8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How interesting.. Let us know if you get in to have it appraised!! The saddle looks to be in great shape!

We don't have cable or satellite tv. The only thing I miss watching is the Roadshow. Luckily I am able to watch some epidodes on the internet.

Hope you get picked and can find about that wonderful saddle! Keep us posted.

How cool ! Hope you get to go. I love that show and would love to go but I would never be able to decide what to take :/

I think I remember you telling me you pulled something out of a manure pile ? Is this what you found ?

Hey Deb!

Actually! This is the saddle I pulled from the poo pile about 8 yrs ago. Its been sitting in my spare room since. It also has all the ties, cinch, and gun hulster with it too. The brass was sorta green and looked like a cat may have scratched its claws on the seat when I found it back then. But I love this saddle, and it cleaned up nicely!

I was watching one of those storage hunter type programs last night (actually baggage wars); and the one guy pulled two saddles out of his box that looked similar to yours, he had them appraised and they came in at like $850 and $1000 (one or both had some replacement parts on them).

That is a McClellan saddle...the 'standard' military one in the US from years back(not sure what they use today, maybe still this one?in military functions, such as funeral honor guards.) They are open down the center; really, they are just the bars of the tree,joined by a minimal cantle and pommel, and minimum leather covering and strapping/stirrups. They can be remarkably comfortable to ride(I rode one on occasion as a youngster; had a chance to buy it, and wish I had, now!)Actually, the McClellan(named after a general, I *think*?) was a good design...servicable, tough, and lightweight.

Margo

Margo,

I agree with it being a McClellan. What I think I have may found was it's a 1904.

It has a 11 1/2 inch seat. And initals stamped all over it on most of the straps. And the cinch says Duncan on it. I took it to a antique swap before. The appraiser barly looked at it and she said $50 maybe $100. Its in poor condition. She took my $20 for her appraisel and pushed me aside. I was super disipointed and not happy how she treated me and then took my $. So I went into the fairgrounds to the swap and looked around. I came accross and gentalman who had several saddles and parts that looked like mine. I had him look at mine and asked what he thought. He was shocked at the condition of my saddle and really liked it. He showed me his and told me his as parts in rough shape was worth $200-$500 pending. He said that mine was almost a compleat set and was worth about $1000-$1800 pending. He said the cinch I had was worth $350 alone cause none of the horse hair braids was broke which was super rare. He offered me $800 cash right there and I said no. He did'nt blame me for not selling it. He told me a lil about how he believed it was used for either a young teenager who was in the war or pony express since the seat size was so small. He also thinks it was used on a small horse or mule too. He said the gun hulster didnt go with it origionaly, however was only a few yrs newer then the saddle but because of the brand and age/condition it still was worth some $. He said since then It may have been used as a parade saddle or kept as a novelty display untill I found it because of the good condition it was in.

I would like to learn more about the initals stamped all over it cause it may have once belonged to someone important or something ? So The lil info I do got is interesting. Hopefully the Road Show can tell me more.

default_smile.png

Back