Lost my 1st foal of the season

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Thursday night when putting the 3 prego mares back in their stalls for the night, I mentioned to my hubby my little 29" silver dapple mare is full of milk and has a squishy butt and is going to go. He said Im parinoid like always and shes not due till May 6th. Well I knew better and went and checked on her anyway all night. No foal. Got up for work at 4am and let the mares out to the pasture till I get home at 1:30pm. Still no foal and all seemed good. While at work, something in the back of my mind said check on mares but theres not much I can do till I get out. So at 1:30pm I punch out and as leaving the parking lot, I pause. Go home cause I feel like I need to or go tanning real quick around the corner. So I go tanning and ignore my gut.

Get home and all mares are standing and eating except the one I had a feeling about. I call her name and I still dont see her. So I dropped everything cause I knew. As I reached the gate she stepped out of the barn and turned her butt at me and from a far, I see the foals head sticking out. I ran to her and its dead. Only one foot out. So I take her to the barn and wash my hands and go in for the other hoof so she can finish her labor and pass the foal. I cant get it, cant find it, and cant push the foal back in to get to it either. I call the vet and get put on hold. I recall and yelled at the desk lady that I have a emergency and never ever again pick the phone up and say hold and then never pick the phone back up. I got the vet on the phone and told him get her now! He said on his way and ran out the door. 20 min later hes here. He tries all the same stuff I did without sucsess and cant get the foal either. He said hold on Im going to call Michigan State University to see what they suggesst. I said cut the foals head off and shove it back in and get it out. He looked at me kinda funny and talked to the person on the other end of the phone. He gets off and smiles and said, I was right. So we get the foals head off and shove it back in and while he covered the neck bones so it dont injure my mare I go in and get the other foot. The foal comes out in one push.

Its a beautiful fully devloped silver dapple or silver buckskin filly! My mare passed all of the after birth 5 hrs later with help from a $75 bottle of meds every 1/2 hr and now on tons of meds to help with any infections she may get. We both feel that her uterus was not torn and that if she dont colic from this and get any infections, shes going to be fine.

I do believe that the foal just passed shortly before I got there cause its eyes where wide open and where crytal clear with no dirt in them. I also dont think it was a still born but because it got stuck, It just simply passed because of how long it may have been stuck while my mare got up and down trying to give birth. I kick, myself for not going right home BUT I keep telling myself the 20 min wouldnt have really made a difference cause it was already dead. I could have been the for my mare sooner but its pass that now. This was going to be her 1st foal from my Sentra and her retirement foal as well. I planned on keeping it if it was a filly also. This was a foal I have been waiting for for 7 yrs, But as long as my mare is here and makes it through the bumps in the road now, I dont care about that foal as long as shes ok. I told my hubby, that now shes done foaling, and have no daughters of hers, She'll just have to live forever!

I have my fingers crossed for sucsessfull live and good births from my other 2 expecting mares.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, It was a long and bad Friday the 13th for me this yr.

Good luck for everyone whos foaling out this yr!

post-18407-0-14419600-1321116724_thumb.jpg

So sorry for your loss.. I hope that your mare will continue to do well.

((hugs)) to you. So sorry for your loss and continued prayers that your mare has a full recovery.

I am so sorry for your loss, please don't blame yourself, sometimes these things just happen. Sending hugs and prayers that your mare gets over it soon.

So sorry for your loss. It is so hard to go through things like thatt. We had 2 foals last year, and lost both. One because we werent there (which made me get marestare/camera) and another late term abortion. So hard for the family and the mares.

I am sorry for your loss. It is hard to wait all those months and then not have a good outcome.

Mindy do you have a Breeder Alert, or cameras, or do you have to go out to the barn to check on them to know what they are doing?

This is a case that with at least cameras and Mare Stare, someone could have notified you that your mare was foaling if no one was at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear you lost your foal. Will say a prayer for your little mare that she makes a full recovery.

I am so sorry for the loss of your foal, but happy to hear your mare made it through the ordeal. Thank you for sharing, I believe it helps us get through the rough spots, but also keeps a very important fact first and foremost for people that are new and experienced owners too. Anyone thinking of breeding, foals are great, healthy foals are a blessing, but responsible owners put a ton of blood, sweat and tears into there foals. It gives a whole new respect to those cute fuzzy critters running about and what it takes to get them on the ground. Sending hugs and prayers for you and your mare.

So sorry for the loss of your filly. These are the stories that keep me awake at night while I wait for my one and only baby.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm praying your mare has no lasting issues. Hugs.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

I totally believe that sharing this info will help someone in the future as it did for me in this case. If I had no clue about the foot stuck or haveing to remove the head to get it out, I would have paniced really bad. But because I have read all the past postes and learned through the yrs of other folks experiances, I was calm and jumped right in and knew what to do and how to handle it, calmly! I very prepared to understand my situation and how about going at it and understood what could and can happen in this situation. And even to inform the vet what needed to be done before he knew what needed to be done as well. I think the vet was even surprised at how educated I was and how I handled it as Im sure through the yrs hes been around a few basketcases and faced with folks who cant handle blood and death. Now Im human and did freak out for a minute and balled my eyes out in between the vets arrivel and going back in to hold my mare and keep her calm. But it helped releave the stress real quickly. But all in all, I handled it like a pro I feel.

As for marestare, cameras, and alerts. No I have none. My barn is too far away for any and I spend most of my time doing hourly checks or sleeping right in the barn. This is possibly my last yr for foals for awhile or ever. I would love these but not 100% computer smart and be able to hook up some kind of system either. So the old fashion way is how I have been doing it for yrs.

Thanks again!

Heres a pic of my filly who I need to still name regardless of her passing. A lil graphic but wanted to share.

phone pics 2 014.jpg

Any loss is hard, but I know the "what ifs" are always haunting. Thank you for sharing your experience so others can benefit. I hope your mare recovers quickly and that you can take comfort in her.

I am very sorry for your loss also..we had a similar situation happen to us that I would like to share with you as it was such a learning experience for me...and it is something I will always keep in the back of my mind as an alternative method. We had an older mare on camera...long story short we got up in the morning and thought she was foaling only to find out the foals head and a leg was out and it had passed away ..was dry and dirty..we were mortified...called the Vet...meanwhile I tried to get the foal out but it was stuck and would not move..the Vet came and the first thing she asked for was a pail of water...she had a little hand pump and plastic tubing...she put the tubing alongside the foal into the mare and pumped in water...easily pushed the foal back in a bit found the leg and pulled it out....was amazing to me what a little tubing and water could do...just wanted to share that with you. Again I am sooo sorry :eek:(

Thanks to your experience and cool head you saved your mare. I pray she makes a full recovery and I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am so so sorry for your loss. Do not blame yourself, you did the best you could and these minis are so difficult. I pray for the mare's complete recovery and that your other two mares deliver by the book.

Latest posts

Back