Pasture, to improve or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrockmommy

Reaction score
Ok, more preparation questions for next year!

The area where I want to do my 2 150x90' pastures (for rotation) don't have great grass, it's pretty sparse. I had a company come out yesterday to do soil testing because most of our lawn is being taken over by weeds and moss. It's pretty shady. Not sure if I can get grass growing there super well anyway...

Two weeks for results and instructions for that.

Mean time, how much should I worry about growing grass, knowing that I'll be relying on hay anyway?

Should I just use it as turnout for galloping around?

They will have a dry lot paddock that will be something like 90' by 60' plus two 150x90 or so pasture areas, or just one 300'x90' pasture would work, too.

So they will have a dry lot area. I'm trying to decide how much work I should put into the pasture areas, or should I just leave them since minis are such easy keepers?

One thing's for sure we can use their manure to help improve the soil here.

I'd go with the two pasture areas, although even with rotating they'll probably be pretty much drylot in no time.

Do you think then that I should give up the idea of having minis altogether?

The more I read, the more nervous I get, and it sounds like you have to be so careful with horses.

For instance, the lawn guy says I have fescue, which I just read is bad for horses because of the fungus it could have.

I have clover which I've read is high in sugar, which I've read is bad.

Just when I think it will be ok, I get worried again. Maybe I should stick with dogs ;)

Fescue is usually only a problem for pregnant mares.

Honestly not sure if I have much in the way of clover around here.

See, now this is where the internet can be too much of a good thing, so much to read and absorb and it can be hard to weed through all the information. Despite some of the potential issues, I love having my horses.

Most of our guys do great on fescue grasses (there's more than one type - just like with all other kinds of grass/hay/feed/veggies/fruits etc). I LOVE fescue for our geldings and non-pregnant mares! They like it, they eat it well and they gain weight and I cut back on feed. I like good quality oat hay, too, but it's hard to get (here). Has to be cut/baled before fully mature in order to be nutritious for horses and the farmers usually lose $$ that way. Most here have a tendency to bale it too late and it's not nearly as nice for the ponies (too heavy in straw, oat heads fall off during the baling process). I have only sand and trying to improve the ground here on our new place - so feeding feed right now w/o stopping. The mares get pulled from fescue before they get close to foaling and right now, since our new hay guy just informed me that the last load may have had fescue (he wasn't sure) and the next definitely will, I put in a call to my new vet clinic to make sure we could get Domperidone if needed. Fescue toxicity (and not all fescue carries the fungus that causes this) can cause the placenta to be too thick and low or no milk production. So we are looking at the possibility now with two mares (I just posted about that in the Mare section) of having issues (out of 24 shetlands, 2 shetland Xs & 1 arab horse), though I'd like to think I'm prepared ahead of time.

I have personally had more problems with chickens & rabbits in the last year than I've had with minis/shetlands in the past 35 years.

Your dry lot or pasture is up to you. If you have the time and $$ to grow better grass, it certainly wouldn't hurt because even if you don't have horses you could then "graze" your chickens on it or mow it and put it in your chicken coops/runs (DLM). I think you were the new person on here that has chickens or did I mix several folks up?

I agree with Chandab - think you are getting overloaded from too much info from the internet and even some books. Mini horses truly aren't hard to care for. You will always find new ways and things to do as you learn about horses. You will also find that what works best for your neighbor or a friend, won't work at all for you. For a lot of different reasons.

My dad, in Texas, asked if I could put together another trip to take ponies/wagon down to his assisted care living facility to give wagon rides again... He wasn't the horse person, but he DID always enjoy watching my sister and I when we were riding and showing horses. I think he does enjoy the ponies when he used to visit us (he would walk thru the pastures and touch/pet them - something he didn't do in the years we had horses while growing up) and when I've taken them to him in TX.

When the day arrives I can no longer have or care for my own horses, I hope that our daughters don't forget they mean the world to me.

Minis are nothing different than big horses, except they are much smaller. All care is pretty much the same, and about the only thing that is different is the quantity of feed or some medications (vaccinations are the same, no matter if a 300 pound mini or a 2,000 pound Clydesdale). From your questions, (must admit I have not read everything you have posted) I am guessing you have little or no experience in owning horses? I suspect that by getting a million different responses, some that are conflicting and leaving you in a tizzy. I suggest you go visit a couple of local breeders. Help them with chores....and ask your questions. (Believe me, if someone comes and offers to help in exchange for information - I will talk my head off). :)

Yes, agree that I"m getting way too much information in my head, very conflicting!

I'm the one with chickens, and I have them in tractors, which I think is just about the best option next to true free ranging when we have such a hawk/vulture/fox problem around here. nothing like some nice, grass-fed eggs! And wherever the chickens have been parked, they week and scratch and the grass comes up looking amazing! I could have the yard in nice shape if I had a bunch more
default_smile.png

Yesterday, we visited a mini horse trainer, and not only was it completely ADORABLE, but it was also very informative and gave me much to think over. She said come take some classes with her minis and see if agility/driving is something that I really enjoy. Secondly, sometimes you choose a green horse and it decides "no thank you, that was nice, but not for me" about driving. She says she knows of several already trained, safe, and ready to go (none of hers are for sale). She also gave me a few things to consider, so that's good. She gave us a little mini agility class, which really was fun, in a very gorgeous indoor arena (was like walking on a cloud!).

I walked away happy, but realizing, wow, lots of work to keep a horse trained and in shape. But I still feel like I"d love to have a couple to care for! Maybe just a couple pasture pets. I dunno. I do have a long while to think it over before we can even put up a barn anyway. Do any of you have them just as companions? Like grooming them, feeding them, walking them around the property sort of pets?

Walked around the property and the grass is coming in a little better, so there's that.

default_smile.png

Thanks for listening/opinions!

While, I'd like to think I do more, mine are pretty much pets and in-home therapy to keep me from throttling people I have to deal with every day. Since I quit riding, but love horses, have minis just makes sense. I do have plans to try to train someone to drive, so far it hasn't gotten out of the planning stages.

My minis are purely pets also, they put a smile on my face each morning when I leave for work, All three yell out to me when they hear the front door open ( and no doubt it has something to do with waiting for their morning hay)

Yes it is alot of work to keep minis in shape and healthy , when you consider farriers , dentist, feed bills ect BUT I can honestly say its well worth it
default_smile.png

I think Its great that you have visited a mini horse trainer and I would say keep on going
default_smile.png
You will get valuable information and learning experience from having hands on experience with horses.

Whilst Ive been involved with horses for 30 years now, I dont think Ill ever stop learning about them
default_smile.png

"I do have a long while to think it over before we can even put up a barn anyway. Do any of you have them just as companions? Like grooming them, feeding them, walking them around the property sort of pets?"

Bwwwaaahhhhhaaaa
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif

(not sure what changed the size of the print, but for now, it's OK...)

Our "performance" ponies are VERY happy to have time off right now! It's been almost two years since they've consistently worked or even been groomed close to several times a week (each pony). IN the fall of 2012, when I got so sick and no Dr seemed able to figure out exactly what was going on, I would go out and sit on a bucket, a bale of hay, a cooler (which had water/soda in it, and occasionally a wine cooler, LOL) or even a chair, and just watch the ponies and breath in the scents of my pony world. It was enough, it quieted my soul when I very much needed it and helped to provide a steady-ing calmness when it was very much necessary.

I have to admit, when I was a teenager, I couldn't understand why anyone would WANT horses (of any size but especially MEAN shetlands/minis) that didn't "do something" and that just stood around in their pastures - eating their heads off. Then I forgot about that concern because those "not do anything horses" then provided me with my first hard earned cash and the foundation of knowledge (I know, not perfect) that I now lean on. Those owners PAID me - to catch their horses, to groom them and to even ride the horses for them - sometimes leading up to showing or some very interesting events!

Turns out - both VA and CO were once great "melting pots" of horsemanship - I rubbed elbows with, met, got lessons/advice from and wide eyed listened to some of the old greats in the horse industry and some of the new upcoming ones who are "hot" now - in more than one equestrian genre ... When I was a "tweener", teen & young adult.

40 some years later (and the type print size changed on it's own again), I am more understanding of the folks that had horses the way they did when I was a kid...

Like Jean B, I would jump at the chance to share info for a little extra help. Sometimes that help could be nothing more than sitting out with the babies and letting them learn to come to you. There are always things to do/be done when you have any type of livestock, but the work does "abound" with horses... It is fun/fulfilling, but it is still work that eventually has to be done.

Agree with Ryan, slight different philosophy - the day I quit learning new things with horses is the day they better lay me in the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back