Pasture Time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB27

Reaction score
Curious on people's pasture experiences. Do you limit the time your mini's are on pasture or no? Have you had issues with founder? Is there a certain age when mini's are at higher risk of foundering..like weanlings, yearlings, or adults?

My stallions and mares go on pasture in the summer 24/7 and they do great. Have been doing it since my great grandparents started in the late 70's and we've never had a case of founder or illness due to it. The youngungs (up to 3) are on pasture with little grass. They are fed free choice alafalfa/grass hay mix with a 14%-16% feed. The pasture is definitely not enough for them. We do give Enrich 32 and a little oats to the ones out in pasture as well.

Unfortunately, I have had some founder issues, but they were not started due to grass; one horse got sick, one got contaminated feed, and one was due to very poor farrier work. All are currently on limited grass. Actually, almost all my minis get limited grass to some extent. [Two are on drylot, so that's why I said almost; the mare is too chubby to be on grass and the stallion is with her to cover her (otherwise, he'd be on grass).] I'm at home, so can rearrange the horses as I need to all day. Three broodmares with foals at side get pasture time from 9am to 7pm; 1 open mare is with them all day; 2 chubby mares go out from 9am to 1pm; 2 geldings go out from 9am to 1pm (one is chubby, one is Cushings); 1 thin mare goes out all day; and, one stallion goes out all day.

Weanlings and yearlings are not highly susceptible to founder/laminitis, but it could probably happen under the right circumstances.

Good question - I too am wondering. We just got our first Mini and are finishing up the fencing around the pasture area - should we "mow" it down before we put him out there or is he o.k. to be out in the tall grass? I have heard a lot about founder and would hate to have him get sick because we didn't do the right thing.

We mow the pastures periodically as the horses do better on short grass. I think the most important thing is to ease them into the change gradually. Our mares are fed free choice hay through the winter and have a little grass as it comes up on the spring. When the big pastures finally have the grass growing well, we let the mares out gradually-taking 3-4 weeks before they're on it 24/7. I'm sure most problems arise when the diet is too rich and the horses aren't allowed the gradual change to adjust.

I've heard that horse's cannot have grass clippings so if you mow it how long do you have to wait til the clippings are not a danger to them?

It depends...if we cut it and it is the usual hot, sunny day, then we leave it a day and it quickly yellows. The horses won't touch it when we let them back on the pasture. Otherwise, we do have a large rake that we use. We only mow once a month or so so when it's cut, it is pretty long and the horses can easily eat around it. Our pastures are large-about 20 acres total so when we mow, it is mostly to keep weeds at bay.

Latest posts

Back