Pasture Shelters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this for my hay but maybe you can use it also as a run in for the small guys or big guys, I bought it at canadian tire and it was under 300.00 canadian on sale. It is a temporary car port you can also buy these anchors that screw into the ground or you can drill screws into rail road ties to secure it into place. Just a thought, there is the big one and also a smaller one (I have both - one for hay and one for lawn mowers and yard tools )here is a photo of the one I use for hay - truck is not mine it was a photo I used from canadian tire :bgrin

deluxeautoshelter10x20feet.jpg

I saw that website when I was looking online and they look like the would work great for the minis. I have emailed to see what the cost is and if they can ship them to Oregon.

Would you let us know when you find out?

Just found something at TSC (my FAV store!! :bgrin ) that sounds easy, cheap and worth a try....Wedge Locs. They are metal pieces that fit over T posts. We got ours to build braces for our fences, but the brochure shows that they have other pieces that can hold 2x4's and plywood and shows pics of how to set up a shelter. I'm going to try it for the winter. The metal pieces are less than $2 each here.

Ok guys, I may need an additional run in shelter or hay storage.

You're holding out. Don't be shy.

List some prices and post more pics of your ideas :aktion033:

Nasco, has hard plastic Calf shelters.. depending on how tall your mini's are..that would work well.

I have had and still have one of those 12 by 21' Canvas car ports for shelters from Costco and cost $179.00. With the buckets, climbing rope to use as tie downs..gravel and sand.. came in just over $200.00 Make sure you really tie them down.

Even then..they will not hold up to super high winds like we had last fall.. 80 to 100mph winds tore one of the sheds around.

Other did ok because it was more sheltered.

Here is what we did with that kind of canvas shed. Rebar tie downs.. rebar bent to look like a candy cane and hammered into the ground so the horses could not hurt themselves. The base of the poles were put in buckets with about 200lbs of gravel in each then sand to pack up firm and add tons of weight to hold each pole. Cattle panels along each side to keep them more ridged.

I will have to find the photo and will post it so you can see.

The replacement shelter for the canvas one we lost...is a 3 sided metal car port with a high wind rating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that website when I was looking online and they look like the would work great for the minis. I have emailed to see what the cost is and if they can ship them to Oregon.

Would you let us know when you find out?
I will as soon as they email me back.
default_smile.png

I use this for my hay but maybe you can use it also as a run in for the small guys or big guys, I bought it at canadian tire and it was under 300.00 canadian on sale. It is a temporary car port you can also buy these anchors that screw into the ground or you can drill screws into rail road ties to secure it into place. Just a thought, there is the big one and also a smaller one (I have both - one for hay and one for lawn mowers and yard tools )here is a photo of the one I use for hay - truck is not mine it was a photo I used from canadian tire :bgrin

deluxeautoshelter10x20feet.jpg
This one is tall enough for the big horses. Can you give me a contact number for them so I can see if they would ship and the cost?

Ok, this probably sounds a little "Mickey Mouse" but could you use something like 2 Powder River panels and connect them to an existing fence as the side walls with your existing fence as the back wall and then use a heavy duty canvas tarp over the top? I guess you would have to use T-posts or something to hold up the panels. And then what could you use to raise the heighth for the big horses? Just some thoughs running through my head and trying to come up with something inexpensive since we already have a ton of panels.
default_smile.png

I believe mine is 4x8. If you ever have an equine affair etc they are at shows and sell them on site which saves shipping. I bought mine a few years ago so they probably went up. But i think it was around 80.00. My girlfriend bought the bigger one and had it shipped. The horses just love them!! i have gone out and found like 5-6 minis in there LOL. I just love the way you can move them around. Heres their website

port a hut

Just wanted to say about the port-a-huts, I have a couple of older small ones and I like them for in the winter but all the other seasons they make me nervous, seems like would be good lightning attractors. Also, when we have heavy rain or hail around here my minis don't like them, they get far too noisy inside.

Ok, this probably sounds a little "Mickey Mouse" but could you use something like 2 Powder River panels and connect them to an existing fence as the side walls with your existing fence as the back wall and then use a heavy duty canvas tarp over the top? I guess you would have to use T-posts or something to hold up the panels. And then what could you use to raise the heighth for the big horses? Just some thoughs running through my head and trying to come up with something inexpensive since we already have a ton of panels.

That would totally work with the huts

My horses love the igloo calf huts, sometimes there will be several babies inside of it.

100_0868.jpg

It works perfect for the stallions, there is plenty of room to lie down, here is Image this past winter with his little house.

igloohouse.jpg

Hi Cam,

[This one is tall enough for the big horses. Can you give me a contact number for them so I can see if they would ship and the cost?]

I bought the temporary car port from canadian tire ,you can do a search on line and in automotive section of canadian tire,I think is where you can find it - they might ship it out or you may have a store closer to where you live.

www.canadiantire.com or

www.canadiantire.ca

Latest posts

Back