Pasture Shelters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAM

Reaction score
The beautiful Mill Creek Valley~Prineville, OR
I know some have posted photos of their pasture shelters in the past but I can't remember if anyone had something for their minis, or big ones for that matter, that are EASY to assemble and inexpensive. We have had so many problems (read: big $$$) with our new home that we need to limit the dollars going out right now yet we need some winter shelters for the horses. We have trees for shade and barn access from three pastures but four of our pastures need shelters to protect from the cold, rain, snow and wind of winter. I am hoping by starting early, we can come up with an inexpensive pasture shelter for both our big and small horses well before winter hits. Any ideas?

Depends on how much your looking to spend, but we have those hard plastic car ports for shelters.

Edited to show you the inside. I'm not sure on the size. I know its longer than our 16ft cattle pannel. Its round toped so snow slides right off. It worked really well through winter and held our 4 horses with room to spare. I leave the front zip door unzipped and flapping and the horses learned to walk right through it. I also believe this costed around $300.00. My boyfriend and I built it ourselves. It wasn't too hard. We also bought rubber mats and put down.

Picture131.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We use cattle panels, bent up in the air between t-posts with a tarp stretched over the top. My horses love theirs! I'll take a few pictures tonight and post them. I know that Marty also uses this type of shelter. Maybe she'll post on here too!

Hey Deb!

Me too. I need a couple of run in sheds before winter.

The best thing I can tell you is to go ahead and build them out of pressure treated wood, using 4 X 4 's for posts and ruff sawn plank boards from a mill if you aren't fussy. I hate tin or metal roofs with a passion, but we priced them VS using tar paper OSB and shingles and it comes out to be nearly the same cost.

The only other suggestion I could make is to get one of those pre built car ports and board up three sides. Around here they start at $565. delivered and constructed. Not sure how they will work if having to hold up a load of heavy ice or withstand high winds.

I bought a Canadian Tire 8x8 4 wheeler/car shelter for just under $300.00 Canadian, but i'd advise with that style that you attach plywood to the insides around it, or you'll have a shelter full of holes thanks to the minis :eek: .

Here's a couple pictures of it when it was new and pristine
default_wink.png
: .

Shelter Pictures

**Have to add---it stood up to our heavy, deep snow with some light brushing off with a broom, or the flat end of a shovel skimmed up the inside of the roof to get the snow sliding**.

Like this??

a6cfaf23.jpg
Are they sturdy in the wind and how do they hold up with snow? I have seen a lot of versions of this shape of shelter online. My biggest concern is putting something together. My husband and I aren't exactly the most adept at things of this nature.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Barnbum,

We had something like yours at our old place and it was very sturdy but they were fairly expensive for materials. What did you use to make yours?

Marty,

I remember seeing you post something like littlesteppers posted in the past. Are yours the same?

Edited for spelling error

I made this from 2 cattle pannels, some metal tee posts, 2 tarps, and lots of bungies and wire

I had more people stopping to see who I built the guest house for :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

hut1.jpg

hut2.jpg

Mine is an eyesore because I didn't get any help with it

First you lay out your panels on the ground, side by side and over lap them by 1 square

Set your first set of posts (3) so that they are in the ground by no less than 1 1/2 feet

My posts were all set in crooked, but if you do them in a straight line, it would look a whole lot better

Make your middle post come right where you have done the overlap

Set your posts on the other side the same way

Walk your first panel up on the outside of the post and start wireing it to the post.

If you let go of that panel, it will kill you, so hang on!

Bend it over to meet the other posts, putting it on the outside of them

Wire them to the posts as far up as you can go

Set your next set of posts (2) because you are using (1) at the middle for the overlap

Walk your next panel up and bend to meet the posts (2) on the other side

Now, wire your overlaping panels together

I just did and over and under "sewing" type thing with the wire

It will be about 5 1/2 foot high in the center

By a tarp that will fit it, and use wire in the tarp holes to secure it to the panels

That won't be enough to keep the wind from getting up under it. They will give way eventually so that's why I added lots of bungys on top

I used some extra fencing across the back and used an additional tarp for that

It's easy to just use some clips and flat back buckets in there for feeding

It's pretty hot and nasty in the summertime but for winter, it's pretty cozy especially when you add bedding

Mine is an eyesore because I didn't get any help with it

First you lay out your panels on the ground, side by side and over lap them by 1 square

Set your first set of posts (3) so that they are in the ground by no less than 1 1/2 feet

My posts were all set in crooked, but if you do them in a straight line, it would look a whole lot better

Make your middle post come right where you have done the overlap

Set your posts on the other side the same way

Walk your first panel up on the outside of the post and start wireing it to the post.

If you let go of that panel, it will kill you, so hang on!

Bend it over to meet the other posts, putting it on the outside of them

Wire them to the posts as far up as you can go

Set your next set of posts (2) because you are using (1) at the middle for the overlap

Walk your next panel up and bend to meet the posts (2) on the other side

Now, wire your overlaping panels together

I just did and over and under "sewing" type thing with the wire

It will be about 5 1/2 foot high in the center

By a tarp that will fit it, and use wire in the tarp holes to secure it to the panels

That won't be enough to keep the wind from getting up under it. They will give way eventually so that's why I added lots of bungys on top

I used some extra fencing across the back and used an additional tarp for that

It's easy to just use some clips and flat back buckets in there for feeding

It's pretty hot and nasty in the summertime but for winter, it's pretty cozy especially when you add bedding
Great, that really helps Marty, thanks! They say a picture is worth a thousand words but my brain apparently doesn't hold that many so the play-by-play is quite helpful.
default_yes.gif
:

Depends on how much your looking to spend, but we have those hard plastic car ports for shelters.
Where did you get your shelters and do you have a photo? We have considered this too but what do you use on the sides to block the wind? Does the hard plastic go down the sides too? Can I ask the cost?

here's something no one said, around here with the sun and the wind a tarp would be shredded in a few weeks, so we use garage doors. lots of people replace the old solid doors with new sectional ones, and the garage door guy has to pay to dispose of the old ones... so we have a couple of connections and whenever they get a decent solid door, they call us and we go get it. the doors can be used for side walls AND roofs. we just make sure they are anchored REALLY good because if the wind did get them, they would be awful heavy falling on someone :new_shocked:

i don't have any pics taken but if anyone needs me to i can do that :saludando:

Harvey has made me several barns and run in sheds fairly inexpensively, and pretty quickly, too. Here are some pictures of what we have for our horses. The stalls are 8x12. The run-in shed is 12x16. The carport is lined w/ wood and is 18x21. The barns and run-in were built pole barn style. The oldest one is the 2-stall one, and it's been up for almost 10 years and is very sturdy.

Run%20In%20Shed%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20014.jpg

Three%20Stall%20Barn%20--%2011132005%20--%20006.jpg

Two%20Stall%20Barn%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20007.jpg

Three%20Stall%20Lot%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20025.jpg

Carport%20--%2011132005%20--%20033.jpg

heres ours. we bought it from port a hut. it comes with stakes to stake it down and has a vent. I love them because you can easily move them. Patches is 46" and goes in all the time.

side view (two stallions playing in the background lol)

shelter2.jpg

shelter1.jpg

here's something no one said, around here with the sun and the wind a tarp would be shredded in a few weeks, so we use garage doors. lots of people replace the old solid doors with new sectional ones, and the garage door guy has to pay to dispose of the old ones... so we have a couple of connections and whenever they get a decent solid door, they call us and we go get it. the doors can be used for side walls AND roofs. we just make sure they are anchored REALLY good because if the wind did get them, they would be awful heavy falling on someone :new_shocked:

i don't have any pics taken but if anyone needs me to i can do that :saludando:

I won't argue about the garage doors, but our tarps last at least a year, if not more than that
default_smile.png

Jessi

PaintedPromiseRanch

would be cool to see what can be made from an old garage door - mine door has to be replaced and it would be nice to see what I can recycle it into.

in the pasturs we use a small done, and we have tied a tarp to out roundpen, then to the fence, that works great!

heres ours. we bought it from port a hut. it comes with stakes to stake it down and has a vent. I love them because you can easily move them. Patches is 46" and goes in all the time.

side view (two stallions playing in the background lol)

shelter2.jpg

shelter1.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Which size is this one? would you mind telling us what you paid for it and any dislikes?? I think these little shelters are awesome
default_yes.gif
: [/SIZE]

Thanks for sharing!

Joy

I believe mine is 4x8. If you ever have an equine affair etc they are at shows and sell them on site which saves shipping. I bought mine a few years ago so they probably went up. But i think it was around 80.00. My girlfriend bought the bigger one and had it shipped. The horses just love them!! i have gone out and found like 5-6 minis in there LOL. I just love the way you can move them around. Heres their website

port a hut

I saw that website when I was looking online and they look like the would work great for the minis. I have emailed to see what the cost is and if they can ship them to Oregon. If they are reasonable that would work for the little guys but it looks like they don't go tall enough for the big horses. That seems a popular shape for everyone's shelters too if you don't want to go with the standard run-in shed with wood and a metal or wood/shingle roof like we used to have. Now...to find something for my big horses.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back