Parents approving of your significant other...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniWrangler

Reaction score
Just curious...did your parents approve of your significant other? If not, why not? And has their opinion changed?

Looking forward to some interesting responses
smile.gif

I myself am straight, but one of my best friends is Bi, and no, her parents didn't, and still havent. To be perfectly honest, they are trying to ground her to "stop" her being Bi. Its horrible really.

Maybe I should have worded it a little differently.

I don't mean whether you are straight/gay/Bi whatever....

just did they or did they not approve of the person you chose to be with.

Mostly I'm wondering about those who are married or are in a long term relationship. Do your parents get along with your husband/wife? Did they when you were dating?

Thanks
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have known I was in trouble from the start. He was the only guy I dated that my parents liked right away. LOL

We've been married 31 years.

No my parents did not we were both divorced and he had 5 kids from before and my parents said it would never work. But we since had 2 kids of our own and have been married for 28 years and have 7 grandchildren and one great grandchild.

Not sure if my mom liked him or not but Dad wasnt crazy about anyone I dated. As for his family his aunt who raised him told us it wouldnt last a year we were both 18 and for many years I sent her an anniversary card every year until her death, We have been together 39 years and married for 37 I guess it lasted more than a year. LOL

My parent weren't thrilled, but they've changed their minds some what. We've been together 7 years and married for 4. We have 2 beautiful kids a 6 yr old girl and a 3 year old boy. My brother hated him and when the minister said, "does anyone object to this union?' I stared at him, before the wedding I told him not to say anything. Now he gets along with my husband.

You should have asked do you like your in-laws? That's a whole nother story!!!!
wub.gif

Christy

I met my husband over the internet when I was 18 years old and met him with out their "permission" I then moved in with him to get out of my controlling mothers house. Needless to say that was in 1999 and we now have two beautiful boys. My mother still hasn't accepted him fully but doesn't comment anymore. But at least she doesn't despise him like she did in the beginning. As for my husbands parents towards me it was love at first sight
smile.gif
They love me and I love them.

My parents accepted my SO and love him like a son. At first they were a little leary because we were too complete opposite religions (Baptist and Apostolic). My parents are great.

His mother on the other hand, when she met me told him "she's very sweet but she isn't the one for you". She had decided that the girl he grew up with was the one he should marry. He simply told her that the other girl was more of a sister to him and that he had made up his mind about me. It didn't take long after that they accepted me too.

My father and stepmom really disliked my boyfriend. I had met him while visiting my mother, who really had an awful lifestyle. My boyfriend was not like her, though, he actually was more of an acquaintance to her, but my dad would not get that through his head, he was sure that Martin was very wrong for me and meant a lot of trouble...

so we had lots of family fights about it, and I had to choose between them for a time.

Luckily, my dad finally saw the good in him, and understood what I saw in him, too.

We just celebrated our 17th anniversary this last August. We have three sons together, also. My dad and stepmom very much approve of and love my husband, now.

Liz M.

My parents love Harvey. Sometimes, I think they like him better than me (not kidding). H is such a hard worker and I think if there was something I really wanted, if there was any kind of way he could make it happen for me, he would. Actually, I know he would as he has done it many, many times. Don't tell him I said it, but he really is my better half.

H and I started dating when I was 16 back in 1985! We have lived together for a long, long time and owned real estate together before we finally decided it would probably last afterall and got married about 2 years ago.

The really cool thing, and some of you may remember, is that we got married on the 18 year anniversary of our first date! We just went to the justice of the peace and my wedding outfit was jeans and ariat boots
polite.gif

I wanted us to get married before the end of the year for tax reasons (ever the romantic). That evening, I realized I thought maybe it was our first date anniversary. I asked Harvey "when did we have our first date?" and he said "December 20, 1985 isn't that why you picked today to get married?" (um, no... I was trying to make sure we took care of it before the end of the year).

See, he IS my better half. And still hasn't figured out how rotten I am.

Both of my parents just love DH
smile.gif

It was the one before him they didn't like. Mom never said till later but dad showed his disapproval . I was 17 met a man who was 33 (but never told my parents he was that old) we lived together for 8 years (parents never knew that either) Married for 6 months - then I finally came to my senses
wacko.gif
divorced and met my Mr. Wonderful 6 months later.

My parents always liked my husband while we were dating...however...his parents couldn't stand me. My DH was such a "mommas boy" (excuse the term ! he is the only son) and she thought I was just terrible...taking her son away from her..it was a struggle when we first got married - he would run to her at every becken call and she would make him feel guilty if he didn't. I had to cut those apron strings immediately or we would of never made it. It took a couple years after we were married for his parents to finally treat me right. (We've been married 10 yrs now). Now - both his parents tell me that I'm the best thing that ever happened to my hubby and their family. It took me a long time to gain their respect. I guess it could of happened faster if I had kissed their "you know whats", but I refused.

We live 350 miles from them...I don't know if we lived closer how it would be. I don't think it would be good! It was after we moved away that they really started coming around. Things are good now and they treat me good.

You must live for yourself and if your (your meaning whosever) parents don't like who you have chosen, they just have to deal with it. If someone has picked a "mistake" to spend their life with, they have to figure it out on their own.

Well, without going into the soap opera
biggrin.gif
my folks went from being very fond of Darrin before we dated to really NOT liking him after we married (very short courtship that they didn't know about, oh there's a whole big drama in between all this). They resented him to the point that he was banned from their house for a while. They have since warmed up to him. So I think they approve of him (they behave as if they do around us anyway, which I appreciate), but I don't think they approve of how/when we got together. I do think they respect that it has lasted.

Lets see my hubby was a bit of a drifter.....and my grandfather said he was after my money
new_shocked.gif
ok cuz I had so much
wacko.gif
my mom was against it but she is a bitter bitter person and we haven't talked in 7+ years......my dad didn't really seem to care one way or the other.........his family couldn't stand me because I didn't want to get married ....I absolutely do not believe in divorce period so as long as we weren't married there couldn't be a divorce .......anyway when our oldest son was 5 we decided to get married flew to Reno with my best friend and my boss at the time and got married in a funny little chapel I wore a western dress and cowboy boots and he wore jeans and boots and western shirt.....that was 10 years ago ...our families have decided we work well together and everyone is accepted now
wink.gif
after 15+ years......as a side note I am like Jill and agreed to marriage for tax reasons
rolleyes.gif

new_shocked.gif
No my folks didn't like my x.Not from the beginning. His mother offered to pay for our divorcce on our wedding day. Should have listened my dog didn't like him either. He was an only child momma's boy who refused to grow up.

Stayed married 8 long years out of stubboness.

met my SO over the internet. My parents were not happy at ll. I'm from PA He's from MO. He had been divorced three times. My parents hired a PI to check him out. They liked him after they met him, but now 6 years later, I know why he was divorced three times. They are not real happy with him now either.

[SIZE=14pt]Heck my mom liked my husband more than she liked me. Before and after we were married he would get up in the morning and go have coffee with her. Mom told him not to marry me because I was spoiled rotten. And she was right and he still spoils me....just the way I like it.
smile.gif
[/SIZE]

Going on 27 years in December
wub.gif
...where does the time go?

Tam

My parents were NOT thrilled with my husband when I met him. I knew him for 2 days, then we ran off to Mexico together (and didn't tell anyone)...makes for a wonderful first impression, needless to say.
wacko.gif
We dated for about 2 months, then decided to run off again...to Vegas!!
biggrin.gif
Again, not telling anyone! Luckily, by then Mom & Dad had decided that maybe he wasn't the devil. We've been married for a little over 7 years now....only we can't afford to "run off to Mexico" again!

Latest posts

Back