parade

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was going to take my older mare to the parade today, but her feet seemed a little tender after a recent trim. So took my old campaigner, Dapper Dan. We were the only miniature, but not the only harness vehicle. They did not put me with the horse groups; many big horses are spooky around little horses or harness vehicles.

This was a Rodeo parade, so there were quite a few equestrian groups.

I learned something from the Freedom Riders, the group in turquoise. Spray hairspray on the horse in a design, sprinkle coarse glitter, more spray and it is a very festive display. It brushes right off.

freedom3.jpg

freedom2.jpg

freedom.jpg

mangum14.jpg

Cute. I was wondering how you were making out with the feet. Nice photos

Cute. I was wondering how you were making out with the feet. Nice photos
This is my horse that grows coffee can hooves. He was MUCH better after the aggressive trim. I was planning to take the mare, as she has less parade experience and I thought it would be good for her, but it worked out fine to take Dapper Dan instead.

It was actually a disappointing parade as there were few spectators. And the children were so obsessed with the candy that they barely looked at the entrants. I had a basketful of candy to throw and brought nearly all home as there weren't many people and tons of candy was showering. Usually I stop along the way for people to pet my horse, but I hardly stopped at all yesterday. All they thought about was gathering up candy. It was still an old fashioned parade where entrants can toss candy and stop along the way to mingle with spectators.

Dapper Dan did a great job, as always, but I probably won't do that parade again; it's a lot of work to do a parade and if there aren't many spectators it's not really worth it.

I would give my right arm for a quiet parade mini horse like Dapper Dan!

He is awesome.

I hate parades that allow the throwing of anything as it can become a major safety issue. I was driving my brahma cow in a parade once where the parents were smart enough to not allow the kids to run under the tractor to get the candy but not smart enough to keep them out from under the cow. She took off dead run down the hill, just missing a mother pushing a baby buggy. I got her stopped near the bottom, what a rush! Turned her around and went right back up the hill and finished the parade.

I read the forms that come with the entries from then on and if they allow throwing of candy I send back my entry and mark "will not participate because of the dangers present by the throwing of candy". Some parades will allow only "handing out of candy, no throwing allowed". And I will do them.

You looked great by the way!

I hate parades that allow the throwing of anything as it can become a major safety issue. I was driving my brahma cow in a parade once where the parents were smart enough to not allow the kids to run under the tractor to get the candy but not smart enough to keep them out from under the cow. She took off dead run down the hill, just missing a mother pushing a baby buggy. I got her stopped near the bottom, what a rush! Turned her around and went right back up the hill and finished the parade.

I read the forms that come with the entries from then on and if they allow throwing of candy I send back my entry and mark "will not participate because of the dangers present by the throwing of candy". Some parades will allow only "handing out of candy, no throwing allowed". And I will do them.

You looked great by the way!
Driving a brahma must have been a great sight for those parade goers! What kind of vehicle did you use? And a cow instead of a steer is extra amazing.

I've seen a large goat being driven. I've seen a longhorn steer riding in a Cadillac. But never anyone driving a cow.

I have noticed many times that people do not seem to appreciate the power and unpredictability of animals. Our society is so far removed from agriculture now! I live in a rural farming community and it amazes me how many young people have never touched a horse or even seen a chicken. Maybe it's because of all the stuffed animals they play with, instead of interacting with real animals?

I drove her in a large pony cart. Once she was big enough I rode her! We had her spayed when she was about six months old which was a good thing!

Here she is at the Las Vegas Helldorado Days parade many years ago.

NOVEMBER 17,2010 050.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is simply wonderful! I never knew cattle could be spayed. What was there about her that made her so special you considered spaying? She has a lovely face. What a crowd pleaser!

Thank you! I originaly bought her as a 3 month old calf from the feedlot. Wild off the range, her opinion of humans was pretty low as they rounded up the herd and split the calfs out. Then she was hot branded and had her ear notched. Then loaded on a truck and hauled off never to see her mom again.

It took me months to teach her to lead, but once I found her motivation (food) everything become easier. We chose to spay her because at the time I was doing specialty acts at rodeos and really didn't want to deal with a cow in heat around a bunch of bulls.

Spaying cows is done often, or was back then. It was really inexpensive to have done back then, I believe.it.was like $30 total including her shots! Was interesting to watch being done too. They did a local in front of the hip bone, then opened a small hole, reached in, grabbed an overy, removed it, grabbed the other overy, removed it, and put in a couple stitches and was done!

She was a cool cow, lived to be 18 years old. She was my mom's 2800# pet with long horns!

How sweet, a driving cow. very cool.

I did not know that a cow could be spayed. I have a heifer that was born blind and I want to keep her. She leads and she is so sweet I named her sugar. If I spay her that would be great if she doesn't come in heat and have that as stress. She leads great and her other senses are so enhanced that you can hardly tell that she cannot see. I can stand quietly in front of her and she can find me anywhere. She is so calm because she doesn't have any visual distraction and she loves being handled. I know it is crazy to keep her, but she has become a project pet. Will mention to my husband the option to neuter her. thanks for sharing. That photo is AWESOME

I do not know if just any vet could do it. The one that did ours specialiZed in cattle and would often do an entire herd of heifers. I would def. call around.

I also had a dwarf cow that I drove in parades! She wasn't spayed and I never knew if she cycled or not.

Latest posts

Back