Panacreatic Enzyme deficiency

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
My vet tells me that my skinny mare has a pancreatic enzyme deficiency problem. She is not digesting her food properly, so it's just passing through. Anybody ever have this? Vet had no real options other than using a pelleted feed such as Nutrena Safe Choice, etc., and some Calf Manna. Anybody ever have this? Mare just won't gain, is skin and bones, and is getting 10#+ a day.

What about adding soaked alfalfa cubes and beet pulp to her diet? Would that help any?

Hope you are able to get some good information on this.

My dog, Roxy, has the same exact problem. She is on Pancrezyme Powder for the rest of her life. She will not survive without it. I'm not sure if it can be used for horses. It comes in both powder and chewable tablets but the powder works better than the tablets. I only use the powder. It is fairly expensive though. Roxy was diagnosed about 9 years ago and she just turned 16 years old on February 24 and you would never guess her to be that old. She is a German Sheppard/Terrier mix. Good luck!

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

I wonder if my cat has this?

Shes 10 yrs old and never has had any meat on her bones, ever.

She hardly eats, hardly poops, (and hates all food, people food, wet cat food, all food.)

Has always been a rack of bones.

But perfectly healthy besides this.

Darn finicky cat!!!
default_wub.png

AnyWay, Dana, I hope you find more answers and that your little girl pulls through this and gains some weight.

This is a disorder found most often in German Shepherds, so maybe you and your vet can do a little research on how they treat it in dogs to see if anything can be carried over into horses? In dogs, usually their only hope of survival is the addition of natural or artificial digestive enzymes to the diet. Thats where I'd start my research if I were you, perhaps consider contacting by phone or e-mail a vet or several who have treated dogs with this disorder to see if they can help. I know about a year ago I did some research for a customer and found one really good web forum and several decent sites regarding this, so I know with a google search (at least one geared towards dogs) there is info to be had on the net. Good luck with her, it is from what I understand a lifelong disorder but it can be managed. However I know in dogs its an expensive disorder to treat, so do your homework on the available treatments to find what works at the best price.

Latest posts

Back