Pacing new mom and hungry foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
A maiden mare ( age 5 yr) foaled 3 days ago and all went well. Developed bag, wax, full term, attended birth, nursed within hour, maconium within hour, ate and slept in typical foal fashion. She has started pacing in her stall and the foal is trying to nurse too often and getting rough as I don't think there is suffiecent milk. Is she not producing or just not letting it down, due to being stressed by something? Is she not eating/drinking enough due to stress? The foal is healthy and active. Would oxytocin help/hurt at this time. The milk appears normal so I don't think it is mastitis, although I have no experience with it. Any suggestions will be appreciated .

In my years of large horse experience, foals start that "punching bag" syndrome when they get the hang of nursing and while they wait for the milk to be let down. Also at this point, the mom's nipples are usually sore and still "breaking in" to nursing. Once the soreness gets better, she will let her milk down faster. But sore nipples create an uptight mom who tightens and grimaces every time that foal nurses, not to mention her uterus still contracts from the nursing as well. Foals nurse all the time so I am sure she has an adequate milk supply and a strong healthy foal should keep her bag drained most of the time. You might want to give her some Banamine to ease any soreness for the next day or two until things settle down. Only you can answer if she is eating and drinking enough, but again, Banamine will help her relax and feel better.

this happened to me last month with a maiden, what at first appeared to be the foal nursing a lot was actually a hungry foal because mum woudnt stand still long enough for her to get a decent feed , all we did was to give her a shot of metacam and hold the mare every couple of hours for baby to get her fill ,by the end of the next day mum was comfortable enough to let her feed properly

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know your set up - pasture, dry lot, other minis/broodmares, but you say 'she has started pacing her stall'. How soon after foaling did she get back out in a paddock? How much time does she have outside?

Many mares seem to be happy taking it easy before they foal but it is not natural for them to spend a few/several days in a restricted area once they have foaled - nor is it good for the foal. Have you got a suitable area to let her and her foal out into, perhaps near/alongside her friends so she has company. It is not such a good idea to put a new mare and baby out into a paddock with other horses for a few weeks (unless the others are also mares with foals), but if you can give them a safe adjoining fence so everyone can 'meet' up, that is the best way to get everyone introduced.

Sorry if your mare is already going out at least during the day time, your post didn't make this clear so just giving my opinion. The advice about feeding the foal given above is great and I'm sure that if you can keep your mare still long enough to give the little foal a good long drink and couple that with plenty of freedom for them both, things will soon sort themselves out.
default_yes.gif

Oh and many congratulations on your new baby - how about a picture?

We have had the similar with a maiden mare. We just hold the mare a couple of times so the foal can nurse. We started to turn out mum and baby. The next day she and her colt were fine.

I think Banamine and turn out should do the trick.

The foal is not nursing too much, that's normal. He's hungry. Sometimes I have had to tie up a maiden mare at first while the baby nurses or stand there and hold her on the lead rope while he does until they both get the hang of it. Definitely banamine for the mare..

My filly born last weekend eats almost constantly.... and yes, the head butting of the mare's bag is to encourage the milk to come down. Why is she stressed? Does she have buddies that she is missing? Just sick of being in a stall? Perhaps taking the mare out for a walk (you will have to allow time for the foal to follow as they are not too good at that in the beginning) for an hour will help her settle down if you do not have a safe turn out. I agree, try some banamine and a little outside time and see how it goes.

I have a mare that is a "pacer" anytime she is locked in a stall. She will stand to eat her feed but as soon as it's gone the pacing begins. This same mare will pace outside but only as feeding time gets close. If your mare isn't used to being locked in she might be pacing because she wants out. I am breeding my mare that paces this year and I admit I am worried about her running over a foal or not standing still. The mare was raised on a large acreage farm and was never stalled (of even handled) for about 5 years of her life. She is suscpicious and difficult to catch (you can catch her if you shut her in a stall. The first couple of years that I had her I tried locking her in on cold winter nights but she would work herself up so much I finally left her stall door open so she could come and go as she pleased.

Can you set it up so the mare can come and go from the stall?

Latest posts

Back