Foal Time Strips & Mares Milk Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I'm having a delimma here with my mare Missy. She has been steadily developing a bag for about a month now, and right now her bag is small compared to most mares but it is firm and her teats are full and easy to express. Her milk is like that of watered down skim milk and after I test her with foal time strips (steadily testing 7.0-7.2ish since the 1st of April, no drop even as of this AM) it is sticky enough to where I need to wash my hands off.

I would upload pictures but I got a new phone and still don't know how to post to FB to get photos on here but as soon as I do I will....she's never been one to show a true V shaped belly or have a true "cow udder" to her until after she foals. This is her third and with her first two, by looking at her bag and her belly with those pregnancies - you would never have guessed she would foal within 12 hours - which both times she did. Both of them were suprise foalings and I am determined this one won't be. She has never went off feed (she's the definition of a pig in a mare's body).

I prefer pasture breeding over hand breeding and she was pasture bred March 28 through July 1st so due anytime now. Since I can't really go off of her body I am relying on her milk and foal time strips alone.

From how she is looking bag wise and with her milk being somewhat sticky I would assume that I need to start watching at night but according to the Foal Time strips I still have a ways to go - so do I start staying up at night or trust the Foal Time strips until it says shes read to go?

In my limited experience, sticky milk means the mare will foal soon. I would not take my eyes off her. Sox had sticky milk Wednesday at dinner time and foaled 5 AM Thursday morning. I rely on that a lot more than the pH strips! If you follow Mare Stare, you will often see posts (like I did ) to alert watchers that the mare has "sticky milk".

Thanks targetsmom --> it's not extremely sticky but enough to where I need to wash my hands off afterwards so I will be keeping a close eye on her =) By the way I am sending you a PM

I used the foal time strips on two mares this year. both looked ready for a few days but did not foal until the strips were showing 6.0 so though she is really close and I'd for sure watch her at night as well as throughout the day, I would expect her test results to get into the 6.4-6.0 range before I'd think she was going to foal any hour. Some mares can make those changes in hours too, we usually test twice a day and we rip the strips in 4 to not waste the whole thing on one testing.

Marsha

I agree and would advice you to watch her like a hawk as she could make that jump fast.

How fast could she drop in ph to be ready to foal? I'm not familiar with mare ph so advice is very much appreciated.

She's in the barn and I'm watching her and testing her twice a day should I up it to three times per day? I have plenty of strips and she's my only preggo mare so its no problem.

Thanks

Okay I just tested her......she's between 7.0 to 7.2 with clear whitish milk and after testing her my hand was sticky enough I needed to wash it.

I did notice her bag wasn't as firm as before she went out so I don't think she's quite ready yet?

I use, regular pool strips, distilled water and mares milk, ofcourse.
default_smile.png
when I see a 6.4 or below, Im a hawk..
default_smile.png
Mares are tricky, have a mare that does not wax, but foals within, 24 hours of a 6.2 strip. Then I have a mare that wax's great and boom, baby that very night...

Good Luck..
default_smile.png

In my limited experience, sticky milk means the mare will foal soon. I would not take my eyes off her. Sox had sticky milk Wednesday at dinner time and foaled 5 AM Thursday morning. I rely on that a lot more than the pH strips! If you follow Mare Stare, you will often see posts (like I did ) to alert watchers that the mare has "sticky milk".
My mare had a full hard bag. Her milk was clear (no white) when she foaled. Her milk is now normal and she has more milk than her baby can nurse.

Well tonight her udder is firm even after being outside for several hours but her ph is still in the 7.0ish range.....I'm prayin she goes soon lol I'm going nuts around here!

Please come on over to the mare and foal thread and share you feelings, the mares this year are really holding out, it won't make you less nuts but you will be among the nutty
default_smile.png

Thanks Eagle I appreciate the invite....I will head over that way.

Does anyone know how long she can have a firm udder even after turnout before foaling? I was thinking in the 1 week range but could I be mistaken?

Latest posts

Back