Pacing foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluerogue

Reaction score
My two week old colt paces when walking, and when at a trotting speed (although every once in a while he does trot). Should I be worried? I've heard of minis pacing before, but they were harness bred minis, and my guy is not harness bred at all.

Is this something I should talk to the vet about, or is he just a pacer? Will he grow out of it, or keep pacing?

Anyone else have a mini that paces? I'm pretty sure they are fairly rare.

I should mention that he's gaiting, not pacing as in walking nonstop.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a mare that paces. I am not sure of her breeding. We have been sucessful in stopping the gate by putting a side check on her along wirh a running martingale. I understand your baby is too young for that but, it may help in the future.

We have Had a couple babies that paced. They both grew out of it when they where around two months old. I wouldn't worry about having to train them out of it just yet!!!

I used to own a mare that paced. She had Dell Tera lines. I was fairly new into minis when I got her (my first mare actually) and I never even knew she paced until looking at pictures I took of her one day and realized she was pacing. Then I watched her "in person" and sure enough...

I had a Bond bred, silver dapple pinto mare back when that paced..... she did pass it on to her foals. Noting wrong with a mini that paces... they make smooth cart horses.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back