Ozark Mtns Georgia Girl

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaB Ozark

Reaction score
We made the decision to put Georgia down this morning. Her pain levels had become extreme and we were not able to keep her comfortable. The vet will be performing an autopsy this afternoon (at his expense as he felt like she should not have gone so fast and he wants to see what really happened). I know if he had not suggested I would have requested. I will update you on that when I hear. I am trying to be matter of fact as I can - I will write details later (too many tears now).

05a902c0.jpg

She was also our model for the Everything Miniature Series and T-Shirt.

Rest in Peace my sweet Georgia

Last night Georgia was fine at dinner and when we did nightly check at 9pm - she was fine. This morning she was down, not rolling, simply laying flat out. Took 3 of us to get her up and into the trailer. She is currently at the vet and on IV's and several types of pain meds. She has no stomach sounds to speak off. The vet is trying to get as much fluids in as possible - he said that basically her intenstines are full of hard sticky glue (as example) and that the best way to get that moving is to drench her system with fluids. I just got back from there (thank goodness the vet is close) and she still has not had a bowel movement and is on her third bag of fluids.

Please keep her in you prayers - this is my first major colic (where they had to go to the vet) since I have had horses ( a very long time).

Thanks, Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
Sending prayers towards your girl. I just went through this with a new foal......hope to hear good news for your girl......

Just curious to what kind of pain meds the vet has her on? When both of mine coliced (impaction) at the same time, Banamine did not help either of them what so ever! The vet had to give them Dipyrone, which ended up working very quickly. He said that Dipyrone eases pain, without making the stomach muscles relax, unlike banamine. I'm not sure how much truth there is behind that, but I do know that the Dipyrone seemed to help. Maybe something to discuss with your vet? Sure hope your girl gets things moving soon.

Hope she is ok soon - prayers from here.

Barbie

I'm sending my thoughts your way that your little sweetheart pulls through. My big mare coliced bad 4 times, and it was such a scare every time.

Sending lots of good thoughts your way for your little girl, I hope she pulls thru quickly. Colic is so very scarey.

Sending prayers lisa!! I have seen those IV bags work many miracles!

Kay

Oh Lisa, sending prayers! Keep us updated when you can. Poor little baby!
default_no.gif

I am sending Prayers for the return of your beloved mini's health. I also well Pray for you Lisa. Your Forum Friend FLFlyingW

I just spoke with Lisa - she is staying with Georgia at the vets. Things are not going well. The fluids are not absorbing into her system properly and she is having significant discharge from her nose. The vet has already pulled quite a bit of fluids out of her. They have given her a very mild dose of medicine to start her bowels contracting as there is no sounds at all.

Georgia is standing and they are keeping her comfortable but she is just very depressed. Lisa is trying to take her out for little walks and let her nibble grass if she wants. The vet actually has two interns that are monitoring her every 15 minutes but Lisa prefers to be there.

Please continue to keep her in your prayers. Lisa said to tell you all thanks.

River

Lisa, several years ago one of my stallions had an impaction colic like that. My vet put surfactant in the IV bags to help soften the hard stool. It took several bags of fluid, but it worked! Prayers on the way from south Missouri for your little girl!

Melba

Just got back from the vet - unfortunately things are looking very bleak. She had a very hard night and they are not giving her much of a chance. I had to take a break so a friend went up to sit with her and then I am heading back up in an hour or so. At this time prayers are the only thing that will work - we have tried all of your suggestions. Thank god I have an awesome vet and River let me know what you were all saying.

Thanks, Lisa

Latest posts

Back