OWNERSHIP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When does ownership begin?

• The date new owners take possession? (horse is paid for in full)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The date registration is transferred (paperwork updated)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Twistwood

Reaction score
Just a question that I am curious about...correct me if I am wrong, but...if you PAY for a horse and have the transfer signed by the previous owner, and you take possession of this horse, isn't he YOURS?

Once you have payed, and signed a contract (if there was one), I would consider the horse yours.
default_smile.png

I had a situation where I had not updated a couple of horses and they produced a foal. I went to update the papers and register the foal and the previous owners tried to send in a registration application and let the new foal owner re-name the foal. The registry called me because they had two applications on the same horse. :new_shocked: I was very upset because they took my farm name off of the foal! :ugh: They are now processing the paperwork correctly but I wanted to check and make sure that I was right in my train of thought, that once you have a signed transfer and possession of the horse that it is YOURS and it doesn't matter when you turn in the transfer, the horse is still legally yours. I have owned the mare since 2003 and the stallion since 2001 (yes I know I was very negligent in getting the paperwork updated and transferred! But, it is now current).

If I understand your question correctly........yes, the day you have paid for the horse in full, the horse is your's, even if you haven't had the papers transfered right away.

MA

The date registration is transferred (paperwork updated)
if this was true......then i only own one of my horses!!! LOL. i wouldn't own any of my minis if this were the case. one is grade, so no papers. the other three................anxiously waiting for the transfer!!!!!
default_sad.png

Songcatcher- it's not the "registry" that has given me a problem. They were perfect and corrected the problem. The problem is the folks I bought the stallion and mare from (2 breeders that know each other). Instead of asking me the situation they went ahead like they owned the mare and stallion and signed an application for registry as the owner of the sire and dam! The mare (dam of the colt) was purchased by me at 18 months of age in 2003. She just turned 5 years old. The colt just turned 2 years old. I owned the mare and the stallion far before conception. I had told them I was sending in the paperwork but they went ahead and "falsified" the application.

Songcatcher- it's not the "registry" that has given me a problem. ...T. The problem is the folks I bought the stallion and mare from (2 breeders that know each other). ... they went ahead and "falsified" the application.
Sounds to me (from what I read here) like someone might be in big trouble with the registries.

I did call a good friend that I trust and knows me VERY well and she believed that the two breeders that falsified the application could be in trouble too. I did what I was required to do to register the foal for the new owner. It's not my fault that they "jumped the gun" and tried to register the foal without me. Bad part is that they "know" me and all they had to do is call - instead they decided since they were still listed on the "studbook" never mind that they had signed transfers 3 years ago - tried to register the foal knowing that I was the legal breeder. I did not push it with the registery. If they want to persue it then thats their business but to me it was falsification because they NEW the truth.

Well - the lesson to be learned from this - is when you have the horse paid for and receive the papers - immediately process the transfer - then this situation will not arise.

Yes, a BIG lesson learned. But, breeders should understand that once an individual pays you for a horse and you sign the transfer, what they do with that horse (breed) is their business and you are no longer the legal owner, you have SIGNED A TRANSFER with the registry. The owner can turn that document in any time and transfer the horse. Yes, I admit, should have done it the day I got it then they would not have been able to try this falisification of paperwork BUT the fact that as breeders, who have been in the business a long time KNOW that they signed transfers but still acted like they "owned" my horses and signed registration application for a foal that I bred. UGH

I did call a good friend that I trust and knows me VERY well and she believed that the two breeders that falsified the application could be in trouble too. I did what I was required to do to register the foal for the new owner. It's not my fault that they "jumped the gun" and tried to register the foal without me. Bad part is that they "know" me and all they had to do is call - instead they decided since they were still listed on the "studbook" never mind that they had signed transfers 3 years ago - tried to register the foal knowing that I was the legal breeder. I did not push it with the registery. If they want to persue it then thats their business but to me it was falsification because they NEW the truth.

Hmm well I would think no they have not done anything wrong (by registry standards) at this point if they are still the recorded owners.

They transfered this horse to you 3 years ago and she still is not in your name? I guess what I am not understanding is why would they care if your foal is registered or not?Unless there was a totally different party trying to purchase a resulting foal not from you? Oh well not my business I was just curious.

Last edited:
I don't know ANY of the individuals involved in this dispute and I am not making any accusations against ANYONE. But, it SOUNDS like the previous owners were simply trying to help out a new buyer with an unregistered foal. I would be hesitant to use the term "falsification" unless I knew that for sure, and you might. Like I said, I don't know any of the individuals involved.

I think the whole situation is sure to discourage the new owners of the foal and lead to reputable breeders being much more careful about trying to help out someone who has bought from a seller who has not kept paperwork up to date.

Bad situation for all involved. :no:

I don't know ANY of the individuals involved in this dispute and I am not making any accusations against ANYONE. But, it SOUNDS like the previous owners were simply trying to help out a new buyer with an unregistered foal. I would be hesitant to use the term "falsification" unless I knew that for sure, and you might. Like I said, I don't know any of the individuals involved.

I think the whole situation is sure to discourage the new owners of the foal and lead to reputable breeders being much more careful about trying to help out someone who has bought from a seller who has not kept paperwork up to date.

Bad situation for all involved. :no:

I was thinking the same thing. I once had a horrible experience buying a paint filly whose breeder and owners had not kept up paper work, so I contacted the owners of the dam as listed on her papers only to find out they had sold the horse years before and the new owners had just never transfered her into their name. They really tried to help me out (it was actually more complicated then that, there were several issues involved in that whole deal), but were worried about a situation like this coming up and it making it look like they had falsified records. Thankfully the registry got it all ironed out but I could see this same situation having happened there. In the end it cost me a lot of money to get everything fixed and now I am really obsessive about paperwork when I buy or sell.

Maybe it is karma coming back to you.

When you do people wrong things will happen to you.

You know what this is about.

Well, a mare with a torn uterus is also a problem. But, that is entirely another story. Can't believe you would post here!

Most important part is that the horse is now being registered correctly. BREEDERS BEWARE - UPDATE RIGHT AWAY! I know from now on I WILL BE UPDATING IMMEDIATELY.

Well, a mare with a torn uterus is also a problem. But, that is entirely another story. Can't believe you would post here!

Most important part is that the horse is now being registered correctly. BREEDERS BEWARE - UPDATE RIGHT AWAY! I know from now on I WILL BE UPDATING IMMEDIATELY.

If she has a torn uterus how can you breed her. I saw on your web site that she is breed to Outlaw.

She must be doing pretty good.

Obvioulsy this is an issue between the 2 of you and I dont know either.. but I just had to ask..really dont need to know the dealings between you to but a general question and info thing..

Not to sound totally stupid but I honestly was not aware a mare could really go on and even be attempted to be bred with a torn uterus?

I thought they would die if they had this? I obviously am wrong which is why I am asking you about this can you tell me could the vet see a tear on US? Did they recommend you breed her again? Is this maybe more common then not?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back