overweight mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky seven

Reaction score
My vet was out to check on my older full size horse and spent some time checking out my B size gelding. He told me that he's atleast 50 pounds overweight. Seven is strictly a companion horse, how would you suggest I get his weight under control? Seven will be 6 yo in July, He measures at 39 on the measure stick for minis at his withers. I do have a weight scale so I can weigh his hay. I feed him 1/2 cup of purina mini grain 2 times daily. He is also on a drylot and is out from 6 am until 6 or 7 pm in the evening. He doesn't have a buddy to run and play with so I am thinking about finding a playmate for him. I don't let my little man and older big horse to be together so that isn't an issue food wise. Any ideas?

I really like a low-starch / low carb "grain" (pellets) for most of our minis.

Our multi-location farmer's Co-Op (Culpeper Farm & Home) sells a line of pellets that we've used for over a decade that are formulated by Kentucky Equine Research (see their products / formula benefits: http://www.ker.com/products/) We use one the local co-op brands "Fat & Fiber" and it has been ideal for most of our adult minis. They have another that is a senior complete feed named "Old Timers" that works great for growing foals and if you can find one, a hard keeper mini
default_smile.png
Also the "All In One" is good for the ones that don't seem to get too fat on regular feeds.

You can find many other sources and makers of these kinds of feeds, but I feel lucky that we have a "local" farmer's co-op that has such good products... but then, we do live in horse country around here and around here we are home to Olympian hunter / jumpers and world class polo ponies
default_wub.png

We haven't used sweet feeds here in so many years with the exception of a few years ago, a mare who was nursing a foal and a picky eater... we needed to just make sure she ate well so she did get a good amount of sweet feed.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I will look into low starch/carb grains for him. I've never given him any sweetfeed as I know that can make him founder. Just not sure how much hay to feed. He does get a meal at 6 am, a snack around noon to keep him from going through fencing, his pm meal and then a small snack at nighttime. I have been cutting back on his evening hay and giving him the rest when I stall him for the night.

If he isn't doing anything then why is he being fed grain? I would try to find something that is strictly a supplement so he is getting all his vits/minerals but not getting any excess starch or sugars (no idea about purina feeds so it may already be something like that) in my area we have something called Dr. Reeds and cut the grain. I'd also start weighing his hay.

Edited to add: Here's a great up to date feed information resource: http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/nutrition/feeds/eqdigestio3120/

Depending on where you are and what you can find, hay is not always packed with what a horse needs. We actually can usually find good quality, leafy, soft (I really think SOFT is important for minis... stalky can cause issues IMO), but still, I look at the pellets as the foundation of our feeding program, because we can get them and feel the ones we feed are consistent when it comes to nutrition, and the hay does vary even when it's as pretty as the kind we can get. Keep in mind, I am speaking of feeding pellets with significant fiber, not a sweet grain type of feed.

Can you share a current picture of him, so we can see what he looks like? Do you have a current weight for him? Did the vet just eye-ball him and say he's overweight, or did he take some sort of measurement? [My previous vet (he retired), pretty much just assumed all minis were 500# (at least he did when he was telling me dosage for bute for a laminitic mare, good thing I knew better, and adjusted her dosage for her actual weight), they aren't. There is a formula in the LB info pages that is pretty good for figuring mini weights: http://www.lilbeginnings.com/info/misc/ There is a chart and a formula on the page, the formula is usually a bit more accurate. With minis, weight tapes are only good for keeping track of changes in weight, not so much their actual weight.]

The suggested amount to feed horses (big and small) is 1.5%-3% of their bodyweight in feed per day, most of it should be forage (hay, pasture, cubes, etc); the 1.5% is usually for easy-keepers or fatties on a diet (at least til you get their weight under control), 2% is usually for average horses, and above that is for hard-keepers, hard workers, and some broodmares (lactation can take a lot out of them).

I have mostly B-size minis, my three 38" mares range from 380-405# and actually look pretty darn good, although each could probably stand to lose a few pounds; my 36" gelding is 385# he is a bit chunky, his 38" gelding friend is 360# (he has Cushing's, so a struggle to keep his weight just right, he looks best at about 350#); my three 36" horses are 300, 330 and 340# (the lightest is my stallion, he's very fit). [i also have a 36" mare with Cushing's, she's at 300# and needs to gain, but again the Cushing's makes it harder to keep her weight just right). I'm in the middle of revamping my feed program, but the forage part doesn't change much, they typically get 1.5-2% of forage per horse per day; so... Depending on the horse (and weather), that'll range from 4.5# to 8# per day. [Right now, the mares get 1-3 hours grazing per day, 1# grass hay pellets per day and a couple pounds of grass hay per day. I'm about out of hay, so that's why they are getting the grass pellets (they'll help stretch the hay I have left, so I can make it to new crop). The two geldings graze most of the day on so-so pasture.]

Weigh his hay and feed (as chandab says above) 1.5 % of his body weight - that is 1.5% of his IDEAL body weight. I have a gelding who is a very easy keeper and I feed him 2.5lbs of hay daily plus a low starch ration balancer pellet at 1lb. daily as I believe he should be approximately 225 lbs give or take in perfect weight. He is still slightly heavier than ideal but has no neck crest any longer. He has been on this feed amount since last fall.

If I measured him correctly, he weights is around 466 pounds. What would you suggest I feed him instead of grain? He likes to have something in a bucket, he really looks forward to it. Good hay has been very difficult to find right now. We are buying the best we can untill the first cut is out. What is the best low starch ration balancer pellet brand? I used to feed him 1.5lbs twice daily but it didn't fill him up. He was always hungry so I upped it. Will try to take a photo and upload it.

Minis always seem hungry. No grain is needed, nor is great hay. My guy lives off of solely grass. And even that's too much. He's inside at night with no hay, no he's never colicked, never had any issues with it in the last 1,5 years.. Still a little hefty. Grass is great in upstate ny. No need for any grain.

If I measured him correctly, he weights is around 466 pounds. What would you suggest I feed him instead of grain? He likes to have something in a bucket, he really looks forward to it. Good hay has been very difficult to find right now. We are buying the best we can untill the first cut is out. What is the best low starch ration balancer pellet brand? I used to feed him 1.5lbs twice daily but it didn't fill him up. He was always hungry so I upped it. Will try to take a photo and upload it.
Depending on his build, 466# @39" is probably about 50# overweight like the vet said; around 400# would probably be pretty good for him, so about 6-7# hay daily would be good place to start to him to lose weight, but still give him the minimum feed he needs to stay healthy (they need a minimum of fiber/forage going through their gut a day to keep them healthy). If you can get them, grass hay pellets would be a good substitute for grain plus a vit/min supplement to make sure he's getting what he needs (I'm changing mine from grain to Manna Pro's Sho Glo pellets, for all my easy-keepers that are doing very little). To help, you might look into a slow feeder of some sort, there are a few different kinds, most are nets; here's a website that compares several different slow-feeders: http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/page/Hay+Net+Comparison+Chart I have the Hay Pillow, and really like it; as soon as I have new hay this spring, I'll be using it again. [i don't use it as much over the winter here, since I really feed them up to help keep them warm. And, this spring we had so much rain that I haven't got back to using it. Now I need new cleaner hay first (waiting on first crop). What little hay I have available is just a tad dusty to put in a hay bag, but just fine to toss on the ground for them.]

I would work on increasing his activity level with daily (if possible) exercise. I know it's hard to get it done sometimes but I'm learning this is the #1 thing I can do that doesn't cost money to make my horses healthier. Like anyone new to a daily exercise program, you have to work up to a certain level slowly. My goal these days is 20 minutes of something each day per horse. I lunge (including over poles on the ground as well as over jumps), walk in-hand, practice turns (using buckets as my "obstacles") and running together over small jumps. Two of my horses are doing in-hand hunter this year and are doing higher jumps these days after 2 months of training.

I set my iPhone timer to 20 minutes which allows me to focus on the work at hand versus wondering how much time we have left.

Wow, you are getting a variety of different ideas! To lose weight: get your mini a young mini to play with! Stall them together and watch the youngster exercise your boy all day long! You will need to separate to feed. Also, weigh your hay-it makes you more aware of how much you feed. I'd cut the grain feed, maybe completely out. I feed it just once a day, 1/2 cup with some stabilized flaxseed meal. Low starch or "lite" is a good idea. Make sure your guy get's enough forage and the slow feeders are a blessing! I have several nibble nets that I love and they hold up well. I've also used the hay nets with the smaller holes with good luck, just saw some on sale for $9.99 that would work well. Initially give them some hay loose and some in the slow feeders as it will take them a while to learn how to eat well out of the slow feeders.

It is a constant battle with some horses to keep weight off and I must admit, I love to feed them!

Best of luck!

He likes something in a bucket because he knows he is getting grain. I agree, he doesnt need it. He is not working or in training. And either cut back on the hay or pasture. Yes, my Minis will beg when they already have food in front of them- or whinny as if they are hungry- with their mouths full. Ignore it and skip the grain and more fattening stuff.

To lose weight: get your mini a young mini to play with! Stall them together and watch the youngster exercise your boy all day long!
Is this a "boy" thing? Because I have 4 mares and *occasionally* they play but we're talking once or twice a week tops.

I also wanted to add that my younger three horses (ages 4 and 5) do not get grain. They get a ration balancer (just minerals and vitamins in a pellet form) about 3 times week or so and grass/alfalfa hay. While I'm exercising mine more, they're still not being "worked" enough to justify a "working horse's" feeding regimine.

I will have to go with a ration balancer. I was at TS today to get new grain for my old man, I talked to woman who has a size A mini. She told me to stay with the purina mini feed but to cut back and just weigh the hay like I have started again. She didn't like the idea of changing to the suppliments listed here. I took a list and they don't really have what I wanted anyway. On Wed I will be at a store with more knowledgable horse people for advice. She also didn't like the idea of a slow hay feeder either. I tried to take a photo of him but my camera doesn't work anymore so I will be buying a new one of those also. I'm also looking over the tack stores advertised for the right muzzle to use for him. Thanks for the advice, I'm reading and taking notes from all of you. We have been getting so much rain lately that it's been hard to get him out for a walk. Also my old boy gets upset if he leaves his "side" One reason why I need another mini. My old boy recently colicked so I don't want to upset him too much yet. The vet will be back in 2 weeks so will get more feedback from him. Thanks again for all the welcomed advice.

She not like the idea of a slow feeder? Slow feeders are such a fantastic tool! I got our mini one last fall and it has been wonderful. We can feed him just one flake of hay at night and it lasts all night instead of having him finish everything in 30 mins and being hungry and bored. I would highly recommend one for any overweight horse. The other benefit is that you end up with much less hay wasted.

Years ago we had a laminitis scare. Our mini was obese, and the vet said that I had to take him off grass or muzzle him, and that he needed to take off 100 pounds. I felt so bad- I didn't want him to be hungry, and I worried about what others would think of the muzzle. My vet reminded me that it was better that he was a little hungry then DEAD or crippled. That put things in perspective, and I have never again worried about what others thought about limiting his caloric intake! For years he had no grain or grass at all (now he gets 1/2 cup pelleted feed a day just to supplement the hay) and we keep him more active than a lot of minis are. I've had barn owners tell me that "he needs something" because the other horses get it. No, no, and no!

Best of luck to you!

I'm still looking into a hay net. She also said her mini gets 4 hours of outdoor time in a drylot roundpen then spends the rest of the time in a stall. She has a friend that feeds her mini 3 cubes 2 times daily and that's it. Don't know everything but I question how :"sane" her mini is with just 4 hours of turnout. I really like and trust the people at the feed store I'm going to tomorrow so will listen to their suggestions. I worry about my boy foundering as well. Will continue to take notes and ask about the suggestions you have all mentioned.

I have found that my girl does well on just a hay diet in the summer.

In the winter I give her no sugar low starch bluegrass pellets and a couple of cubes of alfalfa broken up.

But in the summer she just get hay, I use a slow feeder and it does slow them down so they have longer to eat.

I feed just the local hay , and everyone who sees her is impressed with how well she looks.

I also take her for walks several times a week at least a mile if it is by lead and more if we put her to cart.

If you have hills to walk up and down it works great for getting them in shape.

Just start slow and build up

I doubt I would be listening to anyone that feeds her animal three cubes three times a day and four hours turnout on a dry lot!!!

Get a slow feeder- your horse is not grossly overweight- does he look overweight??

I agree with Rabbitfiz , that is not enough for a horse to eat

I made the mistake when I first got my girl to not feed her enough because I was told

That she would only eat a half a flake a day.

That was a mistake I won't make again.

I would cut all grain and pellets out

And just give hay and walk him.

I hope you find what works best for you boy

Latest posts

Back