overo pattern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
th_double20vision.jpg
my new stud is black overo. He is neg for LWO homozygous for black

what is up with photobucket? I was trying to post but the link wasn't there?
If this horse is LWO negative, he is NOT a "Frame" overo. He is Splashed White. The term "overo" is very misleading. Frame overo IS LWO positive.

This is the pattern I would like to produce
overo.jpg
The pattern you would like to produce is not pure Frame - it is Frame + Sabino. Frame alone puts extremely little body white and face white on and does NOT add leg white. Frame isn't a strong pattern and it needs help to express - the most common helper being Sabino. Sb1 type sabinos (which is the type the example above appears to be) do an excellent job of producing multi patterned "framed" horses like the example above.

Halo5-10-09Right1W.jpg

Nancy do you think if I hang photos of patterns like this in the foaling barn my mares will understand what I am after??? Or would that be too late?

Maybe I need to show the stallions at breeding ?

I think I am seriously in love with this one. If they produce patterns like this easier than minis I could be persuaded to change breeds !

Last edited by a moderator:
Lewella , I like the combo pattern of frame + sabino as long as it has the dark along the top line in big horses I like ones like Blue Max. I know you cannot get exactly the look you want but, if I don't start with horses that are most likely to produce that pattern then I would be lowering my chances of ever getting them. Thanks for pointing out the combo on the horse I liked.

Joanne the one you liked is Halo. You might try hanging the picture but, make sure it is not a donkey or you might get those ears too.LOL
default_biggrin.png

Frame alone puts extremely little body white and face white on and does NOT add leg white. Frame isn't a strong pattern and it needs help to express - the most common helper being Sabino.
Thank you for that information!! That would explain why Rowdy (frame only???) has so few loud frame overo get. I believe that was called a "cropout" when it happened in Quarter Horses.

My own personal experience has been to cross LWO (frame) with sabino to get the loudest marked foals. And I've seen that happen with other breeders too.

Thanks Connie, this is my first experience with donkeys , they are not home yet but, I am getting anxious to ...get my hands on them........we are waiting for the snow to get off the roads at there present home.Soon I hope or, I might just have to brave the snow and go get them.LOL

Good idea Becky, I have my solid white LWO+ sabino stallion, bred to 7 solid mares for 2010 foals 2solid blacks,2 silver bays, 1 buckskin,1 silver dapple black and a really rich colored blue roan.

IndigoIllusion.jpg

I think this year I will give him some solid+sabino mares.Do you think it would be to much sabino if sire AND dam carry the sabino?

This colt was out of a LWO+ sabino mare and Vermilyea Farms Top Consensus a solid black stallion.
Cnv0469.jpg

Cap2621.jpg

Have you had him tested to see if he's Sb1 Sabino Nancy? If he's homozygous Sb1 you'll have a 50% chance of max white or nearly white foals if you breed him to mares that are Sb1.

Since your stallion is LW+ if he is homozygous Sb1 (Sb1 produces max whites when homozygous) he doesn't really need mares that are going to contribute a white pattern to get the pattern you want.

I love this topic!! I have Van Los PaleFace and also his grand son , they are breeding mares for me now, and I positively can't wait to see what they will produce for me! If I could just get another Angel....

YES!! They are getting mostly sabino mares, with a few solid mares tossed in (sounds like a salad!). A few mares went in with PaleFace in the Fall, most will go in this Spring, the hard part will be the waiting almost another year to see babies...

As a 2 yr old, Lucky will get just a few, experienced mares in his herd. I just love both stallions!

Have you had him tested to see if he's Sb1 Sabino Nancy? If he's homozygous Sb1 you'll have a 50% chance of max white or nearly white foals if you breed him to mares that are Sb1.
Since your stallion is LW+ if he is homozygous Sb1 (Sb1 produces max whites when homozygous) he doesn't really need mares that are going to contribute a white pattern to get the pattern you want.

No I have not had him tested but,I felt sure he was sabino , I will have him tested for the SB1 if, that is what produces the max white , I don't want max white on my foals.Gosh I guess maybe I got lucky , for a change and picked the right mares for him,neg for SB1, I will defenately not give him SB1 mares if, he tests SB1 Thanks for that information it will really help.

I sold a really nice stallion a couple of years ago because he was throwing to much white even on pinto mares that had very little white , now I know why, apparently my stallion ,mares, or both were also SB1. I really didn't think a lot about testing for SB1 since there was still a chance they carries the other sabino gene but, if it is the SB1 that puts the white on the foals , it could be very helpful to know which of your horses were SB1 carriers.

Canterbury Classical Serenade pictured with her dam Windhavens Darling Mystic Shadow. She was an unexpected surprise I really expected a sorrel tobiano. I am now going to test dam for LWO gene and SB1. Do you think I should test the filly too, I am thinking about keeping her?

Cnv0001.jpg

This is her sire Vermilyea Farms Analyze This.

AnalyzeThis.jpg

A very wise friend advised me to have him tested, so he will be tested for the LWO gene too, I hope he tests LWO-.

I love this topic!! I have Van Los PaleFace and also his grand son , they are breeding mares for me now, and I positively can't wait to see what they will produce for me! If I could just get another Angel....

I would love to see there foals too, hope you show them on this forum.

Latest posts

Back