Outrageous Show Prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I was looking over the entry forms and rules at the local fair today so I can enter a couple horses. The offer halter mares and halter stallions/geldings, halter champion, driving, and driving champion. So the B sized horses compete with the A sized horses (except in driving). No big deal, I am used to it. So Then I look at the prices of the classes.

@!^@&*!^!@!!!!!!!

25 BUCKS FOR A REGULAR CLASS? I have been to an Area show where the open class was only $15! And what is worst? You have to pre-enter for the championship class and pay $30!

So, if want to Enter Zeus in geldings, Chantilly in mares and both in the champ class, that is a whopping $110 for only 4 classes. Add the driving classes and the total skyrockets to $165.

I am still going to show at least Zeus, but I am not sure about doing driving or anything. It isn't worth it.

I gasped and shuddered at the stall prices and I feel bad for the big horse owners. $80 per stall, $70 for a camper hookup.

Thanks for letting me rant and rave.

That is the way it is at Arab shows too. I was going to enter my black half Arab/Andalusian mare (well, 2 y/o filly back then) in 2 classes at a big 'A' rated show here. It was going to cost $145 just for the 2 classes with all the added "Extra" fees. I only do open. There is just no way I am willing to spent that kind of cash on horse shows.

hehe at the event I used to help run we charged $125-150 per stall. Unfortinately horse sports in general aren't cheap, and keep on going up as time goes on. Its very disapointing... Now, ya know what's expensive, is the $1300 (yes, thirteen hundred dollars) it'd take to register my boy in the AMHA.
default_sad.png
I don't think I'll be doing that, so I guess I won't be meeting you guys at any shows.

Just be glad you don't show here... it's expensive. Our local AMHR show for the open classes is usually around $10 per judge for a class... so $20 for a two judge show and $30 for a three judge show. Ammy and Youth classes are usually less though. It's expensive to show!

Andrea

I agree that it is expensive to show, but an unrated, one judge class for the amount of money they want?

I would expect the AMHA/AMHR shows that I show at to be more (not that I'm complaining).

Shows should be fun and a way to promote your horse, not drain your pockets because you already do that on feed, supplies, and vet/farrier bills.

I feel bad for the people who bring 10+ horses at the AMHR shows even.

Don't feel bad. The show here in Arizona runs $40 for open classes and $25 for Amateur/AOTE.

Robin

Hi Jessica,

Fairs can get costly, but some of them have good pay backs. Most of the Fairs I have attended cost $15 -$25 a class, but had cash prizes on 1st - 4th place. I can't say I ever had to pre enter for a championship class, that's pretty lame. I have to agree that $30 for a championship class is kind of steep price to pay for this area.

Well, the class prices in Maine are quite ridiculous too if it makes you feel any better.
default_smile.png
So, at the Skowhegan Fairgrounds they came up with this "bright" idea to charge 75$/80$ for a stall (non breed shows) OR you can truck in for the day...for the bargain price of 15$ per HORSE per DAY. So let's see..I can fit 8 into my trailer. Now we're talking 120$ before entering a class. Then you have the 10$ office fee, per horse, of course. And there's the 3-5$ trophy fee..again per horse. Then classes run usually 15-30$. Do they realise this is Maine? And they're just little state shows? Sheesh! It was cheaper to show my 8 horses at Area 1 in NY, a 10 hr drive, than to show 8 horses there. Oh well for them! I have noticed entries are way down from what they used to be..people just can't afford it! :no:

Fairs sometimes charge quite a bit too just get some money back. It costs quite a bit to put one of those things on.

HOLLY COW!

Know how much my fair bill came to this year, around $75 ..not to shabby!

I got 3 tie stalls (big enough to be regular mini stalls @ $2 each

Entered 5 classes @ $5 each (Now its only 4 since harley is not going)

Weekly Pass/Parking pass: $15

Trailer Pass: 10

Then there were some other processing fee's ext.

Those price is way to high. If its your county fair dont bother with the trailer hook up. Just drive back and forth each day, thats what i do and im about 1/2 hr from the fairgrounds.

Thankfully the mini classes are on one day and the fairgrounds is only 30 minutes away.

Liz, this is the Deerfield Fair, you were there last year
default_smile.png

The mini classes were actually large last year, so there is competition and it is worth it, but it is just puzzling that they get all of these entry fees for the horse show, tractor pull, steer pull, draft pull, and all the exhibits that they still need to charge us extreme amounts.

They only pay back for the driving and driving champ classes. I still find it very silly to have to charge for the champ classes and have people sign up beforehand. You don't even know how your horse is going to do.

Wow Jess

OUt here in Colorado, I think its like $20 per youth class, $30 for open/amateur. Not sure though.

For AMHR, they have an unlimited class fee for $85, and stalls are normally about $65. Then a $10 office fee.

For AMHA, I know they did unlimited classes at $90 for the Estes show, and I know the stall prices were a lot better, IMO, but I will let someone who actually showed at Estes talk about the fees.

I still find it very silly to have to charge for the champ classes and have people sign up beforehand. You don't even know how your horse is going to do.
That is TOTALLY lame. I have to agree there. What if your horse is the worst one there? Also a fair show should be less as people have to PAY to get in and watch!! So sad.

Good luck to you. I won't be going. Not even to watch. I will be in CA!!!! :bgrin

At our Fair shows here they realize what a draw the Minis are to bring people into the Fair (paying at the gate) and so they make it verrrry affordable for us to show. Class fees are going up but they are still only $5 if they charge us at all. I predict fewer and fewer entries if they charge those kind of class fees for a show that is strictly for show - no points or rewards. Perhaps if no one showed they would change their tunes and lower prices. I can't imagine charging for showing off your trailer. I have seen that at a few shows and I think it is strictly a money grab as it sure doesn't cost them for you to have your trailer there. If there were some reason to justify the high prices I could understand it but I don't think it is fair
default_wink.png
: to charge those prices at a Fair show.

We are trying really hard to keep our prices down for the Memorial show at DuQuoin, IL and hope to stay at $15 per class next year for a 3 or 4 judge show. We charge $5 office fee per horse and $40 for a stall. You can put as many minis as you want in a stall tho, so if you decide to bring a few weanlings, you could put 3 or 4 in the stalls without a problem. A lot of places around here limit to 2 per stall. A real part of the problem is the travel cost for the judges. With gas prices being so high, it is hard to keep the entry costs down, but we plan to try.

Angie

There are cash paybacks only in the championship classes at Deerfield. I haven't gone for the past couple of years because its right after nationals. It's supposed to be a big "high class" show but its not. The attitude of the other breed competitiors stinks and it can be quite hairy if you have a green driving horse going down the runway with all the saddlebreds buzzing by you. I may show Clancey but I won't show any minis there this year either. I plan on going to Maine instead. Linda B

Those are outrageous prices for a non-rated show. We didn't pay that much for the AMHA/AMHR sanctioned show when it was being run here.

I just picked up a prize list for the local All Breed Show which does offer Miniature classes. Entry fees are $4 per class, and there are cash prizes for the top 4 placings in each class; 1st gets $10. Championship classes are free, but these championship classes are open just to 1st & 2nd place winners in the regular classes. Stake classes (performance) classes are open to all, and you pay an entry fee for those. Keep in mind that some shows do hold 'championship' classes rather than 'stake' classes; those classes are open to all and would have entry fees--they won't be based on placings in the regular class. The Morgan World Championship show for instance, at least this is how it was last time I saw their show book, has championship performance classes that you pre-enter. If you don't enter the class, but then place high in your regular class you can then enter the championship class up to a certain period of time before the session which the championship class is held in--I don't know if you still got in at regular fee, or a bit extra, but it wasn't the usual double post entry fee. In hand championship classes you still earn the right to show in them, you don't enter those. These championships you refer to--are they halter or performance? If they're just mentioned in the general section under entry fees.....those will be performance, not the halter championships.

Anyway, back to this all breed show here. Stall fees are $40 for the weekend, one horse per stall, except Minis can be 2 per stall. Or we can show from the trailer for a $10 fee per horse. Horses staying overnight, though, must be stabled, which of course means full stall fee. What puts me off is we must pay $50 for the provincial horse council membership plus $10 membership for the host club--wouldn't be bad for someone showing throughout the year & making use of the provincial membership several times. In our case it would be just this one show & frankly to take a couple of halter horses (which is what we considered this year--we haven't been driving enough) it just isn't worth the $60 in memberships for us.

Local fairs charge no more than $4 per class for entry fee, maybe a $2 to $5 office fee; in most cases there is no stall fee and only a $5 membership fee--and there is prize money of at least $10 for first place. I'm not sure what they pay out this year; used to be the prize money varied from fair to fair, always a minimum of $8 for 1st, sometimes as high as $17 for 1st. When we were showing we could haul to the fairs & make money.

Yeah I don't mean to be rude but where I am showing at a local county fair it is only $5 a class and the box stalls are free.

Shelby

The Maine Miniature Horse Club only charges $5 per class. The Maine Horse Association charges $10 and $15 for championship classes.

AMHR Area 1 Regionals were $15 per class with youth at $8. Stalls were $35.

We're from Maine and traveled to NY for Area 1. I spent over $700 on the trip for my daughter and I with 2 horses. $300-$400 in gas alone. That didn't include the snacks and stuff we bought to prepare for the 11 hour drive. And we shared a hotel room with some friends for the 3 day show.

I just can't do that too often. We're still in it for the fun and don't really have national quality horses. Just Maine and NH shows for us from now on!

Jessica,

Come on up the the Maine Miniature club show . It is the last Sat of Sept. during Cumberland Fair at the Fair grounds. Classes are $5.00 each. Late entries are $10.00 per class. There is a $1.00 per horse number fee. As far as I know everyone ties to trailers for the show but the paddock barns are close by and could be used for tie stalls if some one needed to. Currently there are no paying classes but I do know there are lots of prizes to give out as our dinning room is filling up now. There is a high point youth award for the day!

There has been about 50+ horses the last 2 years and with the futurity growing I would expect more this year. The shows here have been much more about having fun and getting your minis out for a good time than some of the highly competetive pointed shows. The quality has been getting much better and a number of the horses will have been to Nationals this year.

Come on up and have some fun! There will be lots of forum people there to meet.

Mark

Latest posts

Back