outraged

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stay out of other people's affairs. A good friend of ended up with a broken nose for taking action agaist domestic abuse. My grandpap got a blackeye for stopping a man from hitting his wife.

That's what police are for.

Forgot to add my sister was in a robbery where a guy had a gun. She did nothing either. It was at a grocery store. She hit the floor with everyone else. I missed the robbery by 10 minutes.

This was before we moved to the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dazzler, I'm sorry you're getting flamed when you were merely trying to share something that horrified you with people who would understand. Shame on the board!
nono.gif

On the other hand, the board is right to say that if you saw something that nasty, it was your job to report it or back up the other witness even if you did not directly confront the perpetrator (and many of us wouldn't because as you said, people are crazy these days.) I wore gentle spurs for years because my Arab simply choose not to respond to my short little child legs unless I had them on, and I knew immediately of at least three different ways one could have used them as you described. Heck, she could have worn them normally and visciously stuck them into the back of the horse's fetlock to make them move that hoof in a hurry! So I believe you that she did something nasty. When you saw that domestic beating, did you CALL those police whose job it is to stop it? Sometimes that's all you can do, but it's something. Your grandpa's black eye was a badge of honor in my opinion, something God would have let him into heaven for with pleasure. You should be proud of him AND your friend.

I saw a quote at the end of the movie "Tears of the Sun" the other day on cable, and it touched me. "All it takes for evil to abound is for good men to do nothing." We live in a world where we're constantly told to keep to ourselves if we know what's good for us, but if we do that then the pain and evil will never end. Someone has to speak out. Let this be a reminder to all of us about our duty to our fellow travelers on this earth, both two- and four-legged.

Bless you.

Leia

I hope she tries that some day with a big horse who will kick her back.

I myself have no clue how you train a horse to do that, but most of the ones that Priscilla Lane trained for me will do that -- I point my toes to the foot that needs to be moved, and they do it. She even taught my first driving horse, Firefly, to do that and Firefly doesn't show.

I have to question what kind of competition there was in that showmanship class, for someone to win when they have to use their foot to position the horse's feet....back when I used to show in showmanship, if you wanted to place, never mind win, you had to have your horse trained well enough that you could position the feet just by moving the lead shank. I won many a class, and no, I never had to kick the horse's leg!
new_shocked.gif

Unfortunately, yes, as others have said--many here would be shocked at what some people do to "train" their horses
no.gif

As for those who say to get involved to stop domestic violence if you see it. That's a very, very nasty thing to get involved with, and anyone who thinks rushing in to save the victim is the thing to do...should be prepared to become the victim themselves. As an example--last year on the news there was a story about a gas station attendant who went to the aid of a woman being assaulted by her companion. The man turned on the good samaritan and beat him within an inch of his life. The young fellow dragged himself down the street for several blocks before collapsing. When the news program aired they were asking any witnesses to please come forward--the helpful fellow was in a coma in hospital. The original victim had not come forward--not even by way of an anonymous call--to identify the attacker. Not a lot of thanks there for the intervention of an innocent bystander.

The spur method described is a new one for me..... Hopefully this woman will be drummed out of the "mini business" just by people observing, if nothing else.

I'm afraid I've seen or heard of some pretty horrific training practices in the past -- mostly by trainers who moved from the "big horse" industry. The one situation that we actually saw in person was being done VERY early in the morning at a Nationals 15 years ago. We did report it and it was witnessed.

A couple of "training" methods used in the past have been by taking horrible advantage of what we now call "clicker training". By applying pain to the horse at the same time as hearing a "click" sound, they will respond the way you want in the show arena with just the sound!

One method is to make the horse stand in water, set them up, and to get them to stand in attention with their ears up, a hot wire is dipped into the water while the clicker is sounded. That REALLY gets their attention!
shutup.gif

Then there's the Bic Lighter method. (Again a click sound that can be copied in the show arena). In training, the bic lighter will burn the horse's whiskers and more.....again, to get the horse to "pay attention" and give ears......

All are disgusting and cruel methods. And as far as I know, just about all trainers who used them with minis are no longer acceptable trainers.....I hope!

MA
mad2.gif

Now now, don't yell at her for not stepping in. You never know whats going thru people's head at times like that. However always talk to someone else about it, which she is doing it's just we can't do anything about it.

Don't be threatend Dazzler with what some of these people say.
no.gif

Get physically involved in a domestic fight? Not a chance!! Even the police will not go in to break up a fight unless there are more officers there. Now I will yell, that the police are on the way. That will generally break things up. Now I have to say that if someone was to the point of being killed, I would put myself in harms way to try and save them.

I have seen trainers over the years do all kinds of cruel things. I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "if you want to see the real abuse walk the barns at Nationals late at night."

Several years ago I was at a local fun show brushing the main of my stallion outside the entrance while the class before me was finishing up. Approximately 10 - 15' away was a "trainer" showing his young son how to get an absolutely gorgeous yearling arabian colt to give ears and have that wide eyed look by beating him with the whip. The second time he did so, I continued to brush my horses main but said in a clear voice," if he continued to hit that horse I was going to take the whip away from him and use it on him." I then entered the ring. My mother just about had a heart attack figuring there was going to be trouble. When I left the ring and my mother was still upset, I told her that he probably didn't even hear me. She told me that he most definately did and looked up to see who I was. I then went off to file a complaint which got him thrown out of showing with that club for the remainder of the year.

I am sad to say that he is now training mini's and he uses the same methods.

Robin

Ummm.... dazzler said this did not happen at a mini show.... but no matter what breed or discipline is involved, you should report such matters.... silence helps no one...

And for the record - I have seen ignorant, abusive behaviour commited by the non-showing, pet-owning neighbours or amateurs who show etc. etc. just as much as the professional trainers/handlers.....

Last edited by a moderator:
UMMM can i just say this...... This is Dazzlers post just saying that she saw something that upset her and sharing what it was with us and wanting to talk about it. Does it really need to turn into an immature comptition? If you dont want to know about it then dont say anything, unless your gonna do something about it and need to know exact facts.

Latest posts

Back