Our Wonderful Significant Others...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Many of us are so blessed with wonderful husbands, wives or significant others / life partners. I am one of those. Honestly, I don't know what I would do without Harvey, my husband, in my life. He's been a central part of my life for over 22 years
love0075.gif

Just last week, I told Harvey I really wished there was a way we could store bulk sawdust here, but I didn't know how or where we could do it. The next day, he built me a bin for in in the back of the hay barn. It can hold about 4-5 truckloads of sawdust, which is like hitting the lottery in my book!!! Always before, we'd only get a truck load sometimes when we'd strip the stalls and use it right from the back of the truck. All other times, we would use bagged shavings which I do not like any better and cost 10x as much as the sawdust we can get and usually only lug so much of the bags home at one time. I just love love love what he built for me!!!

Not only that, but he helps BIG TIME with the horses and always puts extra covers on me and a kiss goodnight before we got to sleep... Harvey is for sure a keeper for sure
love0034.gif

[SIZE=12pt]What about you all??? What special thing has your husband, wife or significant other done to make you smile lately?[/SIZE]

love48.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The weekend before last my husband built me a huge run in shed for my 3 biggies. They can all go in it at one time. They are so silly they all stand on one side close together looking out over the hills. They really like it. It faces the sun so they get lovely morning sun but then the sun goes over and they have lots of shade for the heat of the day and afternoon. It turned out so good. Once I get it all painted I will post a couple pics.

I too am very lucky. I just don't know how I would manage so easily if it weren't for my husband who by the way is not a horse person. But he is the one that gets up at night and checks the camera during foaling season and goes out and turns barn lights on for me and has stalls ready for when I come in from a show late at night, bales and puts up all my hay and just so many things so that I can concentrate on the horses. Like Jill I sure have a keeper.

Arlene

Good thread Jill....especially after the barn I had built a couple of weeks ago! Hubby is in there morning and evening just doing little things here and there. We're working on gutters, flooring, and next thing will be electricity...slowly but surely we'll get things done. But man...after many years of dreaming of that new barn.....it's nowa reality...could not have done it without him (and the goodness of God) and sharing it with him makes it all so very special.

What a sweet idea for thread!

Here's my story ......

Back in March I was invited by a wonderful My Space friend of mine to join her in New Orleans for the first week of April. She had a Time Share Week she needed to use up or lose it. She also had invited another wonderful lady who was a mutual My Space friend. I hemmed and hawed..... worrying about the cost of the flight......worrying about leaving the family AND the horses for a whole week.......(I'd not been away from the family OR the farm for over 5 years.)

Larry got on line and checked out airline tickets........and then said, "Bri and I will be FINE. Tickets are cheap! Go for it!"

So, we reserved my flight to New Orleans from Oregon.......and I made sure the horses had enough grain and that the fridge was stocked with EASY meals before I left.

I had a BLAST....... My new friends and I hit it off famously in person. I figured we would, since we'd known each other on line for over 2 years.
default_smile.png
One of the fun and silly things that happened was that we each did "dress up". Below is me "dressed up" in the hotel courtyard.

046.jpg

Have to admit........I would not have gone if it hadn't been for Larry giving me that "nudge".

And then when I got home.........It was a day or so later when the two of us were driving somewhere, Larry reached over and took my hand and said, "I'm so glad you're back, sweetie."
default_wub.png
(That's the sweetest thing he's said to me in a long time.)

My husband[along with my dad] is building me a barn. Last weekend he brought me home 2 ceiling fans,tack lights,and outside lights
default_wub.png

Sounds like we're all very lucky
default_yes.gif

Since last fall I have been planning a round pen...stone base and wood mulch on top...

We had to wait til after winter and til the mud dried...I was hoping maybe May we could get workig on it.

Last week I got a text from my hubby...."Your first load of stone will be there in an hour" Then he spent the next 2 days (his only days off) spreading and leveling the stone (40 tons of stone)...and now he is working on having my mulch delivered
default_smile.png

It was an AWESOME surprise for me...better than diamonds lol

ANgie

My hubby isn't just adorable, he's thoughtful and generous too. I wanted a peruvian colt, found one, and he took me right over and paid down on him. He's going to pay him off Friday. But..he didn't stop there. The man that had the colt, had his mother, and he made the mistake of pricing her. But, I didn't think hubby would let me get her. I fretted for two days worried because another woman was coming to look at her. Hubby seen me distraught over someone else buying the mare, and so when he took me over to make another payment on the colt, while I was up at the pen talking to my colt, he made a deal with the man to pay 100. a week on the mare until she's paid off !!!
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png
She's due to have a foal soon too.

But he doesn't stop there. He came home from getting a few groceries one evening, and he brought me a big bouquet of flowers, 3 additional red roses, and a big pretty vase to put them in.
default_wub.png

Then today he knew I really wanted to get a catch pen put up over at our pasture so I could get the halter off of my filly. See, when I bought them they were supposed to be "can catch anywhere" but that was not the case at all. I haltered her to put her in the trailer when we bought her, but I forgot to take the halter off when I put her over at the pasture. I couldn't catch her no matter what I did. So anyway, he got up early today (he works 12 a.m - 7 am and comes home and sleeps through the day) and took me to town so I could get my grain, then we came home and went over to the pasture and he helped me put up the catch pen and I was able to get the halter off of the little filly, and I got to pet her and give her some scratches that she really enjoyed.

Needless to say, my hubby is so good to me.
default_wub.png

I couldnt even begin to say all the good about my hubby. Bob is so kind and considerate, besides being a loving and devoted hubby and Grandfather. Most of our friends all tell me I am spoiled...in the 38 yrs we have been married I cant remember a one single time he said no to anything I wanted or wanted done, or even hinted at. He is there to help me with the barn, which he completely gutted and remodeled from a cow barn to all miniature stalls on one side and full size stalls along the other side, the horses,dogs, house, grandkids..just everything. He just retired from working in March,(he's 62) but we have the farm, which our son now farms, with Bob helping him. We raise beefers also, He is just a very special and loved man by so many besides me, I dont know what I would do without him.

This past Saturday, my husband kept an eye on the kids while I went on a trail ride with some friends. The ride was an impromtu affair, and Hubby really had other work he needed to do, but he "lied by omission" so I would go and have a good time. It had been something like 10 years since the last time I had ridden a horse, the opportunity doesn't come up that often, and he wanted me to enjoy myself and not feel guilty about keeping him from his work while I "played."
default_wub.png

My hubby, Mark, is great! It's the little things he does that mean so much to me. He's usually the first one up, makes coffee, & fixes me a cup as soon as he hears me moving around. Last year on our anniversary, he planned a trip to Savannah, set up a babysitter, packed my bag & completely surprised me! He is truly the love of my life!
default_wub.png

Great thread Jill! I think the world of my hubby also...he's always taking care of all of the miscellaneous "farm" work...feeds the horses for me (I have HORRIBLE work hours)...and today one of my mares was waxed...this mare is THE PRINCESS of my farm and this is her first foal. My hubby really needed to work today but stayed home to watch the Princess...and sure enough at 1:00 this afternoon he helped her deliver her first filly...he even sent pictures to work because I was "stuck" there finishing up a few things. I could go ON AND ON about how wonderful I think he is
default_wub.png

Tracy

No complaints here. Hus is a good person, hard working guy, devoted to the family. He's very good to us. I like when he takes me riding around different places. We went to get hay last weekend and stopped for dinner. Then came home and sat on the hay bales and just talked about stuff. Its nice when we just have time to relax and talk.

I am another one that wouldn't even know where to begin to list all the wonderful things my husband does for me. Anytime I mention ANYTHING that I want or want to have done he is researching it and getting it accomplished as soon as he can. He takes perfect care of me and our daughters and grandson. He takes care of the entire farm when I want to go away. He works so hard and helps me with anything I need done. We are remodeling the main floor bedroom right now and he is out in "his" barn every night sanding on the six panel doors that I just have to have, all the trim and crown molding etc..... There really isn't enough room to list all the wonderful things he has done for me and our family over the course of 24 years. AMEN to great hubbies or significant others!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Oooo, this is a good one! I wouldn't trade my husband for anything!!

My husband can do anything, fix anything, and is always there to help you out wether you are a family member, a neighbor or just someone on the street! This is just ONE of my stories...

My husband is a carpenter and besides working full time, on the side for the past 3 years he built a huge addition onto our house. This includes an entire second floor and a two story garage ( all by himself)! It's been a lot of work, time and money! After the house was done, last summer, he concentrated on getting the yard fixed up! (stay with me, it's about to become a horse story
default_smile.png
)

He rototilled (sp?) the whole backyard, raked it all out and planted grass. He was out there everyday watering and making sure the yard was just so. So with all the blood, sweat and tears you could say his home is his castle now.

Lets jump forward to this past December..... I find this wonderful mini on a rescue site that is on a broker lot along with 30 other mini mares and we are told they are most likely headed to slaughter!

I talk my husband into letting me get her in a matter of minutes! I decide that it would be very risky to bring the rescue mare to my friends farm where my other 3 Mini's reside and have to ask my husband if we could quarentine her in our backyard for a month!!!!! We are not zoned for horses and don't forget about all the hard work he put in to make the yard nice!
default_smile.png
We already had a little garden shed that could be used for shelter and a friend offered me a few round pen panels to make a SMALL pen off of it. I promiced it would only be a month and that I would keep her confined to the little 10X10 pen and shed!
default_rolleyes.gif
Again he agreed!

Two weeks after "Freedom" arrived I discovered she was pregnant!!!!! NO idea when she was due, just knew I could feel a baby kicking in there! How can I possibly send her over to the farm now where I can't keep a constant eye on her! What if she had the foal on a freezing night and there was no one there to help warm the baby!!!

Again, my husband agreed to let Freedom stay until the baby was born. BUT now I had a bigger problem.....my tiny garden shed was not going to be big enough for this 37" mare to foal in!!!!

To make a long story short (lol) I got a wonderful neighbor to give me her 8'X14' shed!! Guess who had to move it here on a 7 degree day in 2 feet of snow with bronchitis? Yup, dear old hubby!!!

Well, here we are still waiting, more then 4 months later, still no baby and barely a blade of grass left in the entire yard (couldn't keep her confined to that pen for this long!)! Poor hubby's sleep is interupted by Freedom setting her foal buzzer off each night and the constant glare of the TV on all night!

My neighbors call us "Saint David and Dr. Doolittle"! lol

Love ya Dave!
default_wub.png

~Tammy

I was in Vegas last week for an Arbonne convention. My hubby called me (6 times a day) and said I just want to hear you talk!
default_wub.png

My son told me " Mom, Dad missed you so much-he was depressed without you"
default_wub.png

Not that I want him depressed!

He says next year when I go to convention, he is going with me, he misses me too much
default_wub.png

Then house was clean when I got home too-I had left it clean, but its nice to return to it the same...

He is also so handy with anything that needs doing around here. He is up for my projects!

I couldnt find anyone better for me, we've been married 18 1/2 yrs and together 21 yrs...

i'll play!!

before gary got sick, i NEVER did evening chores. even though he was "non-horsey", he did not mind one bit getting out and helping. he always got home before i did so i'd come home from work, chores would be done, weather permitting there would be a campfire going or if it wasn't campfire weather, i'd have a glass of wine waiting for me and many times, supper would be ready.

during gary's illness, i often heard him say "i can't wait to get better so i can help with chores again!"

SOOOO many wonderful memories!!!
default_wub.png

Well I think my huband is pretty special!
default_wub.png
He does soo many wonderful things for me, He is a welder/fabricator which comes in really handy around here! We had been putting up goat fencing on some of my pens, and then he decided my one main pen he would just make bigger as well, and make me stalls into the barn for the goats. He is also building them a neat jungle gym to play on in the big pen. In recent years he built me a 6 stall(huge stalls) foaling shed..which we are going to completely enclose now as well. He gets me hay whenever I need it, and just recently got me the cutest little mini aussie female.

He is not only a good hubby, my best friend, he is also a wonderful father...for his 3 girls.

Yep he is pretty special all around!
default_wub.png
I wouldn't trade him for anything!
default_smile.png

Great thread! There are some VERY special husbands and S.O's out there!

My husband is one of those super wonderful guys too. He's not a "horse person" but he has helped me build every turn out pen and every corral. He uncomplainingly paid for my big new barn, big new hay barn, and run-in shelter for the big horses. He cleans stalls, hauls hay, buys feed and bedding and unloads it for me. He moves sprinkler pipe, seemingly unendingly, in the summer. He sweeps the barn aisle. He encourages me to go take a nap and monitors the due mares for me. When I was so sick earlier this year with bronchitis and a persistent upper respiratory infection, he insisted on feeding the horses for me so I could rest and get better. And that is just a fraction of what he does for me.

default_wub.png
What a guy!
default_cheekkiss.gif

Cant say enough about Walt . He builds sheds for horses , fencing, helps with foaling if he is home, He also does are web site loves the babies and takes many pictures of them and at the show. He likes to show the horses and usually takes one out to a few shows each season. Our farrier taught him how to trim the hoofs and does some of the horses puts up hay. and is a wonderful help at home. I have a winner and we have been together for 34 years.

Back