Our Wonderful Significant Others...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not appreciate my husband as much as I should. This thread is a good reminder to me that I'd be lost without him.

Mark is not a horse person, doesn't really know one horse from the other, doesn't really know how to handle them, etc. But he knows how much they mean to me so he tries very hard to be a part of them with me. He does all the driving to/from shows, keeps the truck and trailer loaded, hauls all my tack to the stalls for me, will feed and water when I ask him.

But I think what I will ALWAYS remember of him going way above and beyond for me is something he did in 2003. He'd been laid off from his job since just after 9/11. I've been our sole income since that time. Sometimes that gets really stressful for me. In early 2003 my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer, stage IV. She'd always had different ailments so her being ill and needing attention was nothing new. But the cancer really took it to another level. She was in and out of the hospital, to and from doctor appts and radiation treatments. It was constant.

Then in the early summer she took a turn for the worse and it was decided she could no longer live in her senior appt. Mark offered that she could come live in our house. I was shocked! He'd never been one for having relatives even stay for visits at our house. But we decided to convert my office to a room for her, we moved furniture around so she could use a walker, Mark modified our hall bath to accommodate her better.

During this time I went to work each day and Mark fed her, made sure she got her meds, got her to her dr appts, kept her sheets clean, clothed her, everything. But most importantly, he made it possible for her to avoid her greatest fear in life - going to a nursing home.

Towards the end taking care of my mom required myself, Mark and my sister because she needed 24/7 care. Mark did most of it and he NEVER complained about the total chaos of our life. He never complained about changing her soiled bedsheets, or about the obvious stress or about having to hand-feed her to make sure she got something down. It was the greatest gift he could ever give me because it was the greatest gift I could ever give my mother. It made her last months bearable for all of us.

She passed away peacefully in our home and she never had to be afraid of relying on strangers to care for her. I don't know if I could have done all the things he did for my mom. If the tables were turned, I honestly don't know if I could do it. He pulled on some inner strength that I didn't even know he had. I will never forget it.

Art, There truely are no words for him and for what he does for me. He is my soulmate. He is my strength when I am weak. My courage when I am afraid. My guidance when I am lost. I think it, he does it, no words are often needed. Significant other, does not even begin to describe him. He deserves more than I can give....

Reading each of these posts has touched my heart!!! We are some lucky ladies
love0075.gif

default_wub.png
Well, were do I start? After my car accident in 2006 I was in a weelchair and NWB for several months. Now, we live out in the boonies and John travels to work 50 miles one way. It was dead winter and he was up early to care for the minis-off to work for a 10 hr day and home again to care for me and the animals. This did not include shopping for groceries and the other things that go with that type of care. Thankfully I was able to manuever around in my W/C and do some housework one handed-one footed
default_wacko.png
there was times it would take me 2 hrs to mop our kitchen floor and then try to cook a meal for him. We sure worked as a team and learned alot about each other and I believe it made us alot closer. Shows you there are still unselfish caring honeys out there and I consider myself fortunate to have him in my life..soooo hats off to YOU sweetie
default_saludando.gif

Michael is special. It's not just what he does it's who he is. He is caring, loving,

affectionate and a very good friend.

He's willing to roll up his sleeves, dive in and help anyone, anytime.

He's worked so hard since we moved here, after the flood, making this into

a horse farm. I know he'd rather be golfing or playing with one of his old cars but

he chipping away at getting this place set up. Then he he says he'll take his well

deserved time off to goof off, doing his things.

I know each and every day I wouldn't be doing this without his good natured help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see. Recently hubby made me a set of jump standards, and today he brought them up to the barn for me. I have a bulging disk in my back, and m not supposed to life anything heavy or do anything strenuous. Hubby was already running late for somehting important to him, but he followed me up to the barn so he could carry them down into the arena for me, then left from the barn. Not that I didnt feel bad enough already since he was late, but a thunder storm started when we were about half way there. He had to take a few hikes up the muddy driveway hill to get everything out of the vehicle.

Since my back has been hurting me pretty bad he has been doing a lot more for me at the barn. The other day He decided he could round pen Domingo all by himself. I really appreciated it, because my back has been giving me a lot of grief, and I really wasn't in the mood to chase horses around the round pen.

In just a few months it will have been 30 years since I had a hubby or a SO. Can't tell you ladies how nice it is to hear that you have such good ones.....but even nicer to know you appreciate them. Great thread Jill.

The short version is:

22 years of putting up with me no matter how crabby I get.

We've NEVER had a fight. He is a Saint!

I'm the luckiest woman in the world!
default_yes.gif

I have all my horses & cats and he puts up with all of us. He works hard. Does the shopping. Feeds the horses. If it's cold out he has me stay inside. He helps dishes, laundry, cooks his own meals some times. I often don't feel well because of my health and my back has gotten worse. So he does SO MUCH! He sleeps on the couch to watch the mares so I can sleep. He helps me foal out the mares and lays in the bedding helping the babies learn to nurse. I've taught him to trim hooves over the years and he's good at it. It really helps now that my back is so bad. He helps with everything with the horses. If there's something I want, he wants me to have it.

He's proud of me and supports me in my dreams.

He says he loves me all the time and he calls me Princess!

All that and he's cute too!
default_wub.png

My husband is the ultimate in NON HORSEY. If I gave the horses up today, I am sure he would do the happy dance. But he helps puts the hay away when it is delivered. It would take me ALL day and then some to do it alone.

A few years ago, I had major surgery and had severe complications, nearly died,and couldn't get out of bed. Carmen fed the horses without complaint.( he didn't clean, but he fed)

A few years ago, my stallion at the time chased a group of mares and broke down my beat up split rail fencing which I had spent hours and hours trying to fix and make sturdy. The horses took off , I was able to gather them up and everything was ok, but he saw how upset I was. He told me, call right now and order the vinyl fencing that you need and took out a loan to pay for it.

Two weeks ago, I bought the mare I have wanted for a few years. My perfect little mare, black homozyggous tovero with blue eyes, eye liner and the sweetest disposition I could ask for . In foal to a bay blue eyed homozygous pinto stallion. I didn't quite have all the money, but Carmen saw how hard I was trying to make the money, and he handed me what I needed and said " call the seller now, she is yours".

Robin

I have to admit am really enjoy having DH around all the time. He has been getting all the Farm chores done that were piling up, when he was working. He did not mind me bringing home a rescue Icelandic....even the way things are, he knows we can properly care for her.

He has been cooking and being an all around sweet heart.

Have been married 22 years and I know I am very lucky!

Last edited by a moderator:
my hubby is a good guy too. Last August he was at a show in Fl and he called me and wanted to know if I would like another dog. I asked him what kind. he told me it was a blue heeler. then next thing i said was male or female and he told me it was a blue female i said yes. he then told me to call kelly but she works and then we played phone tag i was about to give up on getting annie from her. he was on his way back home from the show and kelly calls. me and kelly had talk and i told her let me call him to see where he was out. i did do that and he was in Ga. my hubby then asked me what will i do for him. i did tell him i would make him the most happest man a live. lol he then turns around and then meets kellly back in fl to get her.he call me on the way back home and told me that he had annie and that she was his dog all i could say was we will see about that. they rode together had fries together he gets home and 45 mins later she was my dog and she will not leave my side. made him mad. then he lost his job in august too and i was working i would come home from work and everthing would be done. he was out of work for 3 months my sons blue male had got killed and i wanted another cattle dog and i started looking for one. i found one and he saw the pics of cody he then said what would i do for him and i said the same thing again. then said to call Cheryl and pay for him i did. to sum it up he will not tell me NO.

Robby i love you and you are the best husband a girl could as for :love

I am the luckiest woman alive just have had Audie in my life, even for a short time. He is my heart and soul and I smile every day just knowing how much he brought to my life. He was always there for anything I wanted or wanted to do, including starting this dream of miniature horses. He had the most giving and loving nature and would do anything to make me happy. He made me happy just because he loved me, nothing else mattered. And although I do miss him every day, I do treasure the time we had together. He is with me in my heart every day. And I live our dream every day with the farm and horses. He enabled me to continue that.

This is a wonderful thread and makes you remember just how important the people in your life truly are, no matter what.

My husband is understanding, and always supports me. He's been there in everyway. Stalls, shades, trenches in rock hard dirt to install automatic waterers, moves my round pen whenever I change my mind. He's made my little horse facility! I'm more amazed at the responsible husband/man he is. He's so smart, yet fun loving. I hit the jackpot when he found me (during high school).

From time to time I thank him for everything he does for us, and for the person he is. I love when I feel his kiss on my cheek before he heads off to work every morning.

I will always love and honor my husband. He isn't perfect and theres been many times when I wanted him gone, but I couldn't ask for a better father or grandfather. He married us when the kids were but 13 and 10. We have been through so much together, accidents, deaths of my family, his Daddy. Although he isn't one to hug and touch alot, after all these years he is finally getting the hang of it heheh.

I honor him and his name by being the best wife I can be for him. He doesnt do dishes, floors, rake the yard, hates going shopping, but he can repair anything, make something out of nothing and is the best mechanic Ive ever seen.

He doesn't buy gifts often, nor does he care about Christmas or holidays, but it is the little things he does for me that makes him my Soul mate..

He makes my evening coffee for me, he walks on the outside of the sidewalk to keep me safe, he opens the doors for me, he protects me and made us a decent living when he was able to work. He keeps me inline when it comes to my animals, he will reason with me when I want more heheh!!

He is my Heart!

Latest posts

Back