Our very first foal due... soon..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
Years ago, we purchased HORSEZILLA... (aka Black Magic) from a breeder and couldn't get near him for a year. Finally I realized he was all bluster and bluffing his way to getting what he wanted. He turned out to be such a lovely horse, that I went and sent him to be trained to drive. The trainer had him trail driving in FOUR DAYS! He only uses clucking clues when we drive him and is dog fearless. This was the first mini she ever trained and now she's convinced that minis are very very bright horses, (until she met some of our others).

Well, since I realized that Magic was not the terror on hooves, I've had this love affair going with this boy, but unfortunately it wasn't until he was gelded. Many people have seen him, and many times, in just a photo people have said he is a lovely Fresian... (not knowing he is only 36"s). Mag has mane to spare.

I decided to check on the lady we purchased him from, very sad that we had lost the line with his gelding, and low and behold the woman was going out of horses, and still had his mother and she is very very preggers. I had to have her and brought her home. She is a perfect match for Mag and if I don't look at the eyes or the very large droopy belly, wouldn't be able to tell the difference. So she is now home with us...

The poor dear is 16 years old and has been bred on foal heats (so the ladies son told us) since she was a very young age. I intend to get this foal out and then retire her to drive tandem with her terrific son. He works on voice cues without harness so I don't think driving him tandem will be much of a challege for him.

Anyway, her last foal was registered June 10th.... and we aren't sure how long she will carry for...... just that a stallion was in with her seven days after the foal's birthdate. I believe she might carry for less time, because she is of such an advanced age.

Okay, she was just wormed, gets another set of shots tomorrow... I have one of those blue bulb thingies ready to clean the nasal passages with.... what else do I need?

I do have another set of hands coming when she foals, that manages a TB horse farm.... but I need to know what I need to have on hand with me, when my friend shows up and Fancy decides to present her new filly. (Lol.. I asked her and she told me it was a filly.. fingers crossed there).

We are so excited about the foal.. but even more about retiring and driving the Mom.

OH, and to those who think horses don't remember family members.. they do! At first Mag and his Mom were upset with each other, but now, he hangs on his side of the fence constantly watching his Mom. They often bump heads with the fence between them... and make horses noises at each other. Just to watch them... you can tell them remember.

Thanks for any advice...

God Bless,

Lynn W

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck!!! and post pictures of your mini friesians, i LOVE hair
default_wub.png
:

Okay, I'm sure I will forget something, but will try to give you a good list of what to have on hand. Since you've got a bit of time, I would strongly recommend getting yourself a copy of "The Complete Foaling Manual" by Teresa Jones...AWESOME book, and helps make you feel more prepared. Blessed are the Broodmares is also a good one, but might scare you to death, it did me!

Next, it helps to assemble a foaling kit. In it you'll want to have iodine or novalsan to dip the umbilical stump in once its broken. The just in case items are numerous, but I have been saved more than once because I had them on hand!

You will want to have:

--A Flashlight

--lubricant of some sort, I have KY in my kit---in case you have to help with the delivery.

--a Fleet child enema--for the foal to help her pass the meconium

--a popsicle stick snapped off diagonally on one end so that it has a pointed end but is not too sharp in case you have to break the sac that the foal is in.

--Karo syrup This can really save you in a pinch to give the foal a boost

--Banamine for the mare--you'll have to talk to your vet to get that

--some towels to help dry the foal

--a piece of paper or something with the Vet's phone number on it!--you probably think this one sounds crazy, you KNOW your vet's number, but you'd be surprised how forgetful we become when faced with needing to call!

--The extra set of hands that you already have set up to help...INVALUABLE!!

I'm sure I have forgotten some stuff, but there are many, many knowledgable people on this forum, they'll have GREAT suggestions, too!

Hope this helps. Good Luck and Enjoy it all!!
default_yes.gif
:

Jodi

Latest posts

Back