Our New Dog!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
Though i would show some pics of our new dog! she is about 6 months old and came from Mexico! The rescue was so awesome to deal with!

She does have a fear of big dogs, but she doesn't get aggressive. My borther brough over his lab today and when she saw him she first started just screaming and then ran away with her butt scooted right under her. I felt so bad for her and my bothers poor dog who is s gentle had this look on his face like 'what did i do?" by the time they left she had got more brave and would kinda run after him in a playful way, but if he tried to play with her she would scurry away. i think with time and onceshe gets more settled she will be ok.

However we also have a dog named Jersey who is the same size. they are just in love and play non stop, BUT as of today (we only got her yesterday) if im on the couch or bed with her and Jersey tries to get up she growles and does little nips with him. Are they just trying to figure out whos the pack leader? When she does this is put her on the ground, put Jersey up with me, make her sit on the ground and once she has settled I invite her up. I guess I feel like that is setting ground rules, but i don't know if thats how to go about it. she is in no way aggressive to me. I know she is in a new home with lots of new smells and a new pack and maybe she is just claiming I'm hers, but I just don't want to let it continue into more problems.

Any help would be great!

here is Annie!

023.jpg

003.jpg

019.jpg

What a beautiful dog! She has intelligent eyes, I like her
default_wub.png

No help from me for the nipping/growling, I apologize, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will answer.

I've had the same problem....what we did was when she start's to growl/nip, get up (have a leash on her, I know it's a pain) make one single sound like "NO" and walk her out of the room. Do this whenever she does this. Hopefully she will learn 'ohhhh when I do this she speaks to me in that harsh tone and makes me leave the room I want to be in'

I hope this helps. it worked for me and my mom when we have had problem dogs. But then again all dogs are different! It sounds like you know what your doing anyway! Everyone has their own way of dealing with these problems. She's a cutie by the way
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are right on.....she is trying to claim you as hers and the couch too. Don't invite her up and keep her in check. Problem solved.
default_biggrin.png

Back