OT - excuse me while I brag a little

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForMyACDs

Reaction score
Sorry if this might be a little irratating to some but I'm just toooooo proud not to give a brag.

Last month on a Monday afternoon I heard about a scholarship competition for Kendall College of Art & Design Students ONLY. The requirement was to submit a design for a Holiday card to be used for a large law firm in Grand Rapids (a committee at the law firm would decide the winning design). The deadline for the competition was that WEDNESDAY at noon! Well, I could do some work on it Monday afternoon (after 5pm when I got out of work), but the ONLY way to work on it Tuesday was to work through most of the night after my 12 hours of class (I get home from class about 10:30-11pm).

Work on it through the night I did! That Wednesday morning I finished up my design and drove to Grand Rapids to submit it.

I knew there would probably be a good number of students submitting things (after all the first prize is $2000), but I certainly didn't expect there would be 50+ submissions!I wasn't feeling very good about my submission when I found out how many students had submitted a design, but I figured at least I would have my Christmas card design already done for this year. I also hadn't heard anything about the results of the competition so I just assumed my design wasn't chosen (after all, it wasn't quite what I would expect a law firm to choose......it was a draft horse hauling a pine tree, a young child was riding on him, holding the collar of the harness while an older child walked beside......all three are walking away from the viewer).

Well, guess what.......I have to design a new card for myself because my submission took 2nd place (they use the designs of the top 3 submissions for their holiday cards and advertisments). I can't remember if there's a prize for 2nd place (other than your design being used) but just having it used by a large company like that is quite a good enough win expecially with THAT many submissions and this being only my first semester at the school!

Congrats! Your other work you have posted has been outstanding!
default_new_shocked.gif

Mark

That is so cool.
default_aktion033.gif

Actually, working on it most of the night might be practice for a future assignment as some art schools have you put a design together and you only have overnight to do it.

Amanda

That is so cool.
default_aktion033.gif

Actually, working on it most of the night might be practice for a future assignment as some art schools have you put a design together and you only have overnight to do it.

Amanda
It wasn't my first overnight and certainly won't be my last......I just managed to get two weeks less time to work on mine than everyone else submitting.

Just got news that if the law office doesn't require exclusive rights to the card design for a period of time then a bank in Illinois would like to use the design for their holiday cards too (tho' in this situation it helps to know people in the right places......heh heh). Just about have the stuff together to post a picture of the card

Here is a version of it (can't reprint it to scan and I don't have the original on hand so I had to work from the parts I had).

290585528.jpg

What I WANTED to do was block prints, but I didn't have the time in 2 days to do it. Instead I used the printer to make my print layers. I drew the layer of blue and copied it. I then drew the grey layer and copied it and then the black layer and copied it. The problem was of course getting everything lined up and getting a clean copy. I think I had to go thru 40 copies to get one good one. The version up here I scanned the drawings and combined them on Photoshop. I REALLY need to learn how to use photoshop.

Congrats! Awesome job! We know some people that live in Orangeville area, and another (daughters family) that live near Gun Lake!

Where do you go to school? Or is it still high school? Grand Daughter graduated last year from Gran Valley State.

Best to you,

Maxine

Congrats! Awesome job! We know some people that live in Orangeville area, and another (daughters family) that live near Gun Lake!

Where do you go to school? Or is it still high school? Grand Daughter graduated last year from Gran Valley State.

Best to you,

Maxine
LOL! I graduated from high school in 1988 so no, I'm not really in high school anymore (but thanks!!).

I'm going to Kendall College of Art & Design

Yep, we're just down the road from "downtown" Orangeville. Not a very big place eh?

Latest posts

Back