opinions wanted "rustic/log furniture"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike K

Reaction score
Ok I know just about every one has seen the rustic furniture. Probably seen the log style. Well I am looking for some opinions and this peace I made. the Top is about 27" across and it is 22.5" off the ground. What would be a fair price to charge for such a table. I also had a guy that owns a the local furniture store ask me about making some cedar beds. I have never done this type of thing to make money so I have no clue as to what a fair price is. A bed would be a good bit of work. I would guess it would take around 20-30 hr of work to finish one out nicely.

dont be afraid to give your thoughts even if you dont have a good idea just give me your gut instinct.

thanks Mike

S4021018.jpg

S4021024.jpg

S4021023.jpg

S4021019.jpg

I love it, and if you do a bed, I would love to see picture of that also. The only thing I think I would like to see on the table is maybe bigger legs. Those look kind of spindly with such a nice heavy rustic looking top. Still looks great tho, would love to have it in my house.

Very nice. I'm with minih, thicker legs on it might be alittle better. I have no clue what to charge for it. Look online maybe and see if you can find something similiar and see what they are charging.

Very pretty...you can just send it to me if you don't sell it
default_smile.png

Mike, I love it too. Did you put some kind of lacquer or clear finish on the top? I love all furniture (rustic) made out of wood in this style and my favorite type of home is a log home. I truly have no idea but would suggest that you do an internet seach as I am sure you will find a site that has similar and check out what they are charging and do the same for the log bed.

My hubby made a nice log bed. Did cut outs of moose and trees in the inserts. And he also did a tv stand to match. We could easily sell the set for $1100. I would say a basic log bed you could charge $700 on up for. Your best bet is to go to stores in your area that sell this type of stuff. See how much they charge and then price yours a little bit lower.

I live in a log cabin. The folks round here make something similar. Make the log a bit thicker. laquer it alot to a fine thick shine, attach peg glued legs of at least 6" in diameter. Sure heavy but sturdy, think kids, pets, food and drinks

cost $100- $250 depending on the wood type maple, oak, pine?

thanks guys I thought it looked pretty good. The next one I do I will make the legs bigger and see how it looks. I put it on ebay just to see what would happen. Thought what the heck maybe some one will like it. It does have quite a few coats of poly on top to seal it. I didnt want to put enough on it to give that glass table top look.

Some one on ebay didnt like I just got this sent to me

Q: I can beleive you are risking your 100% feedback by selling such a piece of crap as this.... good luck

I started a California king size bad frame today. The foot board is drying now.

Mike

QUOTE Q: I can beleive you are risking your 100% feedback by selling such a piece of crap as this.... good luck
Someone actually said that??? Wow, people are unbelievable.

I think it's beautiful, it would go perfectly at our place up north (if I had room)...tell that person on ebay....to stuff her comment, question where the sun don't shine!

sure did. And just a side note people you really need to be careful what you put out on the web. In less then 30 sec I found her full name, husbands name, her photo, what school she graduated from, address, phone number, she is a Massage Therapy & Foot Reflexology, Married with 3 kids, birthday September 11, 1971. It always surprise's me how uncareful people are.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike...

I consider myself a "rustic furniture" semi-expert. That is all I have at home and work. I visit rustic furniture shops all the time, a side obsession of mine.

That said.... you can market your tables two different ways:

1.) The average price, average design. For the table you have made, I would price it about $50.

2.) Original design. I suggest that the next table be about 4" thick, and a single pedestal leg about 14"-18" inch diameter. The pedestal leg needs to be made from an awesome unique post. Then I would price is about $150-$200.

I have a king size cedar log bed that is totally unique. The artist did alot of detail work. I paid $3500 for it, and I think it is worth it. Everyone that sees it is in amazement of the size and detail. Example: the foot board posts are about 16" diameter. The head board is about 6' tall.

Hope this give you an idea.... But this is my opinion only. There is $ to be made in this kind of stuff, good luck, and post pictures of your projects. PM me if you wants some links to some websites for examples.

You can't please everyone!!! Just forget the lady!!!! And be your own original design and that's what will sell.
default_aktion033.gif

Kelly thanks for the info. That is what I wanted to here. I have played around with this but never thought about doing to make money. Now that I am out of work and as we all know finding a job is hard right now I thought I would make some stuff and see if I can create some cash flow.

Keri I have it just rubbed me the wrong way. If you don't like it that's fine I never said it was the greatest thing in the world. I can take creative criticism just fine but there is no need to be rude about it. Her husband makes similar furniture and it is beautiful with amassing craftsmanship.

Mike

Mike..... you have mail.

I just noticed you are in Texas, but I don't know where. 2 of the links I sent you were in Dallas. You might want to check them out if you are ever in the area.

OK. Mike, that last table is GORGEOUS!!! You are very talented! Wowzer, you could surely sell your stuff I'd think and for good money. Don't short change yourself!

StarRidgeAcres thanks I needed that. That is one of a 3 piece set that I have been working on. Once I get the glass in for the coffee table I will get some photo's of it. The other end table will look just like this one to a point once it is finished. They are large more then the photo lets on. The end table are 25x36 and wieghs in a 60 pounds.

I have had some people interested but no money has passed my hands yet. I am thinking about taking some to the local trades days. there kinda like farmers market for everything from chicken's to tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Last Table is very nice..The first one would be good for a porch or something like that but heck I think you did good on both.. I know I couldnt make anything like that...

Love that top!!! So neat with the two tones of wood!! Great job!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back