Clipping Length

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
In the past I've clipped my minis with a #7F or a #9 (I use my professional grooming clippers and blades...) with the grain. However, it seems like most clip their minis shorter. What length do you guys clip? Do you go against the grain? Clem gets really sweaty when we drive but our evenings in the summer can still cool off. Do you guys watch the weather and blanket when it's going to rain or turn cool at night? And what temp do you decide to blanket at? Or do you just make sure they have shelter?

I've had minis and horses for over a decade now but I've just never clipped one close. I am wanting to drive a lot more this year since I will have more time available so I thought I'd clip her for real this year.

If you are just driving for pleasure (no showing in any classes), you'll probably only need to clip once in the season to get rid of winter woolies, then just let them wear their summer coat.

I use a #10. I'm planning to clip this week, if night time temps stay in the 50's. After they get a few days growth, I don't worry too much about a chill. But I will blanket if I have to. It's time to get all that hair off and let the sun shine on them a little. And it's too hot for them to drive. When they roll with all that sweaty fur they are a mess.

I clip Dapper Dan again in August, as he is already hairy by then and it has time to grow out by winter. Rowdy has finer hair and did not need a second clip.

Or you can consider doing a trace clip (or some other form of removing hair from just the lower body). I did that for years - simply because i didn't have enough actual barn space to bring them into and really never felt it necessary for the most part - as long as I left parts of them with the "fur" necessary for them to be warm or cool. During the fall, I leave the top of the rump, back, top of the neck and top of the head with hair. I often clipped with the grain to leave hair a bit longer (not down as low as the actual blade will take it). IF I had combs that I could get to work, I often used them on the curly lower leg hair - but still left most to protect their legs in cold/wet weather.

I've always clipped with a 10 blade on the body - trace clipping varied as to the "heights" and the amount of hair taken off - sometimes due to not wanting to take much off and others due to wanting to take more and others due to an "oops"!

If you are worried about continuing cool temps or bad weather - leave the hair on the tops of the neck, back & rump. Remove lower hair off of large muscle groups and where your traces & girth will go. Leaving the hair on top to shed when they are ready will keep them warm(er) and removing the hair on large muscle groups will make it easier to clean them up (especially if they sweat) but will also allow them to cool off/dry out faster/easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 10 blade and start with a blanket clip in mid March, expanding the clipped area as the weather warms. I just finished this weekend with their necks and face. I keep them lightly blanketed until it's about 55 at night or warmer. I clip against the hair and usually just do it in the spring, but have done it again in August depending on the mini/pony.

Anyone have trouble with their horse not tolerating their mane on their newly clipped neck/ears? Like it tickles? Peanut is having an issue.

I think I'll start with a 10 against the grain on her throat, chest and belly. I noticed, after ground driving her today, that her winter coat was balling up under the belly band. Also, it was warm today and with that big fur coat on I'm sure she was uncomfortable. Thanks for the help you guys. A 10 against seemed so short but it will keep her so easy to clean and dry after a long drive.

I use a #10 also going against the grain. I find going against the grain helps fight the "run" marks left if you go with the grain. I have already done head and necks. I am waiting for the weather here in Maine to stay steady 50 or above before I clip the bodies.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Latest posts

Back