Opinions on my foal...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mima Acres

Reaction score
This is my colt. I've posted about him here a couple times. I bought his mama last October, he's my first foal ever born 5/5, so not even 2 months old yet. He's growing fast and pretty butt high right now but I was wondering if he's getting chunky/thick? Should I be concerned at all? He's the only baby here so no one to rough house with. My husband said something also about him looking fat ;) He's a sweet little guy and we love him, just curious what others think. Thanks
default_smile.png
and don't worry about hurting my feelings if he is chunky.

af16fda6.jpg

f8a8a483.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He does look like a bit of a chunky monkey in those picture but IMO unless you are feeding him a high protien/fat ration that is forcing excessive weight gain (I have seen that done with quarter horse foals destined for halter classes)I wouldn't worry overly much. as long as he's getting chubby on mom's milk and grass he should be fine and you might be glad for the extra weight if he (as some do) looses a bit when he's weaned. As long as he is a happy, active, bright eyed colt, his weight isn't a big concern at this age.

Hes darling.....IMO he looks like he may be on a slight chunky side...but not terribly!! Just posting his picture and asking others is great...you at least are trying to stay on track. It was difficult with Cam too as he didnt have other foals to play run and chase with either....but luckily or not so luckily i dont have the beautiful grass that you have! Cant wait to here what others think.

Thank you, I thought he was looking chunky but it seems I don't need to be worried at this point. Right now they are on grass but they also get orchard grass hay and mare and foal feed.

He is pretty hefty, and I have had foals do this sometimes. They lose it as they grow so dont worry!

Thanks you are all so nice and helpful. I guess he is a very solid healthy boy
default_smile.png
I just keep looking at him thinking he's going to grow up to be so big.

I gave him a ball to play with and he played some but he was more interested in me.

c1060078.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks nicely balanced and could be a "driving machine" for you! You have a nice healthy fellow!

Latest posts

Back