Opinions on Commercial dog food please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeannie B

Reaction score
Hi, :saludando: Sorry I haven't been on much lately but as some of you know it's been a pretty emotional year for me. First losing my mini Cal a year ago last July them my sweet dwarf Casey 2 months later. This past July I lost my Sheltie Niki also.

She passed away from Renal Kidney Failure
default_sad.png
Niki was only 8 years old.

According to the vet she didn't think Niki's kidney problem was related to the dog food recall.

I have just aquired (sp)2 Sheltie puppies. No...not to replace my sweet Niki but because I really love the breed. They are almost 8 weeks old. Their names are Katie and Maggie. I love them to bits but I am really concerned about Commercial dog foods!

I have always fed Purina products (dry) and am concerned weather they are even safe for my dogs. I also have my little Pom Cody who also is fed Purina.

What are your opinions on commercial dog foods???

I was told that feeding human food such as chicken and rice and veggies were also not good for dogs because they don't have enough nutients in them.

What is safe?

Thanks for your time

Although we have been feeding Pedigree, the last time we were at Costco we picked up the Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice dog food. Reading the labels it seems to have similar ingredients to some of the high end expensive dog foods but is more economically priced. It doesn't have any corn and is primarily just the chicken and rice. Of course, it is balanced to include everything dogs are supposed to need.

I have had wonderful luck with Purina products. Both with puppies and adult dogs.

I also have had luck recently with Nutro Puppy, however the puppy more prefers the Purina adult food, so who truly knows.

We have been feeding Purina Pro Plan Lamb & Rice and love it. All our dogs are on it, even our show dogs and they look great. Our pregnant bitches get Pro Plan Puppy during and after the pups are born and they do really good on it. The coats on our dogs are full & shiny and there is even less piles in the backyard. :bgrin

What I did find is that when my dogs are on Purina their feces doesn't stink like that of dogs on cheaper dog foods.

We have three dogs and they like to eat, but I would much prefer paying more for less smell that is for sure.

The following Dog Food Grades might help you decide what to feed. For an explaination on how the grades were given look at the end of the list.

I am sure many will be surprised at how low the grades are for Purina dog food is, atleast the four listed below.

You will note that Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, & Vegetables scores a 110 A+.

I feed Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Duck and Potato which scores a 106 A+. I changed to this from a different Natural Balance because I get better coats with the Duck and Potato.

DOG FOOD GRADES

Copy provided by Pet Pals, Inc. www.PetPalsInc.org

Alpo Prime Cuts - Score 81 C

Artemis Large/Medium Breed Puppy - Score 114 A+

Authority Harvest Baked - Score 116 A+

Authority Harvest Baked Less Active - Score 93 B

Beowulf Back to Basics - Score 101 A+

Bil-Jac Select - Score 68 F

Blackwood 3000 Lamb and Rice - Score 83 C

Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice - Score 106 A+

Burns Chicken and Brown Rice - Score 107 A+

Canidae - Score 112A+

Chicken Soup Senior - Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance - Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice - Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula - Score 99 A

Diamond Performance - Score 85 C

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium - Score 122 A+

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice - Score 106 A+

Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato - Score 106 A+

EaglePack Holistic - Score 102 A+

Eukanuba Adult - Score 81 C

Eukanuba Puppy - Score 79 C

Flint River Senior - Score 101 A+

Foundations - Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold - Score 93 B

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium - Score 73 D

Innova Dog - Score 114 A+

Innova Evo - Score 114 A+

Innova Large Breed Puppy - Score 122 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, & Vegetables - Score 110 A+

Member's Mark Chicken and Rice - Score 84 C

Merrick Wilderness Blend - Score 127 A+

Nature's Recipe - Score 100 A

Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin Venison & Rice - Score 116 A+

Nature's Variety Raw Instinct - Score 122 A+

Nutra Nuggets Super Premium Lamb Meal and Rice - Score 81C

Nutrience Junior Medium Breed Puppy - Score 101 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice - Score 87 B

Nutro Max Adult - Score 93 B

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice - Score 98 A

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy - Score 87B

Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Wheat Free - Score 86 B

Nutro Natural Choice Senior - Score 95 A

Nutro Ultra Adult - Score 104 A+

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice - Score 23 F

Premium Edge Chicken, Rice & Vegetables Adult dry - Score 109 A+

Pro Nature Puppy - Score 80 C

Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach - Score 94 A

Purina Beniful - Score 17 F

Purina Dog - Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It - Score 16 F

Purina One Large Breed Puppy - Score 62 F

Royal Canin Boxer - Score 103 A+

Royal Canin Bulldog - Score 100 A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult - Score 106 A+

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ - Score 63 F

Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies - Score 69 F

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice - Score 97 A

Solid Gold - Score 99 A

Summit - Score 99 A

Timberwolf Organics Wild & Natural Dry - Score 120 A+

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken - Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold - Score 97 A

This is how the grades were determined:

Start with a grade of 100

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or poultry", meat, meal or

fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific rain source, subtract 5

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five

ingredients (i.e. ground brown rice", brewer's rice", "rice flour" are all the

same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats

in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source unless your dog is allergic to

other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to

wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to

beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed goup or nutritionist, add 5

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains) add 3

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free add 2

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds) add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first

one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but

"chicken" and "" as 2 different sources) add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide free,

add 1 point

Those brands of Purina are what I like to refer to (for myself) as the Grocery Store brands. They leave out their higher end such as Exclusive.

I quit feeding Purina about 30 years ago.. the dogs looked poor and my male cats were getting 'sanded'. I had switched to Iams. I still have great luck with the cat food and the one time I switched for a bit to another product that I believe was also made by Purina, I got another male cat plugged up. Never again.

However, the dog food I have switched to Authority.

I see they are graded with A B C, etc.. in addition to a number.. I am assuming that anything over 100 is an A, in the 90's a B, etc....

I see the Iams and Science Diet, who used to lead the pack back then, rate poorly now.

We had quit feeding Purina when our vet had to blenderize the dog food for patients that could only eat mush. When she got done with blending it, the Purina had a 1/2 inch of HAIR on the top of what was in the blender!!! Since they are required to meet a certain protein content, they were using cow hides and all to throw in the mix. Hair is protein, however not DIGESTIBLE protein! Have not touched Purina since and will probably never again.

Our dogs, except for one who's on a prescription diet, eat Nutro Natural Choice pretty much free access and then for dinner, they eat long grain brown rice cooked in chicken broth w/ some kind of lean meat (3 to 1, rice to meat).

OMG Laurie, HAIR????????

Thats terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm really worried!

Does anybody feed human food?????

When we were young we always gave our dogs table scaps and I don't remember them every getting sick and they lived a long life! Whats that all about? :new_shocked:

I switched mine (corgi and jrt) to the chicken lovers I see the senior got a A+ rating, mine are on the regular but I'm switching them to the lite, they're getting chubby!

"Human food" is what our pets used to eat before someone figured it might be profitable to develop and bag it as "pet food." We've come a long way since then, and pet food is now offered in a wide range of quality and types. You USUALLY get what you pay for, but not all expensive, heavily promoted and prettily packaged foods are good for your pet. It's important to learn how to read labels and to look into the companies who are making the foods you choose. Deciding to make your own pet food is not an easy way out of doing your homework. You need to ensure your pet will be getting all the nutrients it needs in a properly prepared meal. For many, myself included, offering pets a variety of commerical (kibble and canned) as well as home prepared meals (both raw and cooked) is the way to go. Remember that just because a dog may outwardly appear to be healthy on a lesser quality diet, doesn't mean everything is okay on the inside!

For more information, I suggest you check out: www.mordanna.com/dogfood and http://www.whole-dog-journal.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I was feeding my dog Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul, but he was having some minor digestive issues. I switched him over to the Blue Buffalo puppy formula and he's doing GREAT.

We have a golden retriever, "Fuller" and for awhile I was feeding Iams until I read the label, BAD. I now cook for my dog, don't buy commercial dog food anymore!

Personally I wouldnt ever feed iams or purina. They do make a higher quality pet store product but then they also make a crappy " grocery store" product. and personally I cannot support a company that has done the nutritional studies ( some of which are the back bone to todays leading brands), yet still make a grocery store brand for added profit, not for the well being of the animal.

I highly reccomend Nutro natural choice or Royal canin they are 100% guaranteed, and if there is a problem they will refund you as well as any vet costs incurred. I dont think Kirkland, pedigree, ataboy or kibbles and bits will do that for you
default_wink.png
:

I would also not reccomend feeding your own homemade diet unless it is a "recipe" supplied by your veterinarian! At our clinic we realize some people (esp one super cute older lady!) like to make food for thier pet, which is totally fine, we have supplied her with recipes for adult maintainence as well as the specific nurtrient and mineral powders to make a balanced meal. (no charge by the way) and her kitties and puppies love it!

Cheers

Masako

If you want any home made diets I will be happy to send them to anyone! just pm me!

If I remember right the Kirkland brand is made by the same people who make Chicken Soup, and it's actually a pretty good food for the price.

lol I personally love this topic of nutrition, This is actually what I "specialize" in I guess you could say. I love to listen to the reps that come in, formulate my own opinion, do research and then find what works and what doesnt! I see enough pets every day with every kind of diet to say nay or yay.

I can quite honestly tell you that kirkland brand and others ect. are cheap for a reason - high in calories, carbs., ect. and low in nutrient value, ratio wise. Believe me I have seen enough obese pets that have been on one of these diets, and then take it down the road a few years later and voila they have health problems!!

Like people good nutrition can help elongate your lifespan, effect your mood, help with certain medical problems, and enhance your quality of life! The same goes with your pets!

Seriously feeding a high quality diet can even save you $$, hey it may seem like more of an expense at the time... " oh geez fifi's bag of food is $50!!... but hmmm this brand from the grocery store is only $20!"

A $30 dollar difference seems like a good idea at the time..... then two weeks later at the pet clinic....

"Fifi will not stop itching, her coat is poor, and there is this terrible smell from her bum!"

total cost:

Exam $50

Anal gland expression $20

Fecal exam $ 12

Ear medications $30

Throwing out the bad food $20

Buying old food that worked $50

= $182

Spending that extra 30 dollars looked pretty good now didn't it!

I wont even go into the cazillion other problems that can arise from poor nutrition!

I know we have had clients that have insisted on feeding thier animals a poor quality diet, most of them ( as in 95%) have had issues arise from this. The other 5% are a) just plain lucky b) must be oblivious to thier animals condition.

To me good nutrition and good preventative health care and the best things! Quite honestly ( at least our pet clinic) we only want to see you for the routine things! We would much rather see healthy pets once a year for a check in/vaccines rather than having a file so huge we have to have 2 because of problems that could have been prevented. point being we are animal lovers too and we are not out for your money.

Cheers

Masako

Basic rule: if you can buy the dog food at a grocery store - DON'T. That lets out Pedigree, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba etc.

I have only fed Wellness, Natural Balance or Pinnacle.

With Missing Link added.

My terriers did NOT like going the BARF route. They do better this way...

And I now see I was right to talk my mother out of feeding her terrier Purina Beneful (GAG!) - Bella was not a big eater at all - and then when she switched to Wellness, Bella became enthusaiastic about mealtime, her coat improved etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same opinion as Tagalong.

Quite awhile ago we changed to Dr Foster & Smith brand pet food and have been very, very happy with the quality. They have no fillers or by products in their pet food.

We buy the food online which has worked well for me. But I have heard they will be selling their pet food at Target because Target wanted to offer a safe pet food. Exspecially after the last who ha..with all the other brands.

Latest posts

Back