Opinion on my Mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey3

Reaction score
I saw the other post about leg conformation and I would like an opinion on my mini's leg conformation, she cow hocks too. These pics are old, the two were taken 9-25-2011, she was 5 months. She is an AMHR April born weanling, B size. She may be a little better now, but not certain. Also she had stifle lock once not long before these pics. Would this cause her to be cow hocked, because I am not certain she was before it happened(not sure if you can tell in the youngest pic). I heard they can get better as they fill out, true? Also would it cause her to walk sort of outwards and have trouble pivoting off the rear legs or is it just because of her being cow hocked? I just never had a horse get stifle lock or be cow hocked. None of our other minis or Shetlands have these issues. I hate that she does as she is the sweetest girl and nothing phases her which makes her a great obstacle prospect if only I can get her to pivot off the rear legs. She pivots great off the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
she looks fine most minis look a little cow hocked get your farrier to try and correct it....

She's cute
default_wub.png
She's not horribly cow-hocked; as she grows they may get straighter. A locking patella and being cow-hocked are two separate issues. Many great jumpers are slightly cow-hocked and it doesn't denote weakness or any problems with movement, necessarily. A locking stifle, on the other hand (as you know), can be a very serious, debilitating issue....

Stifle problems don't necessarly have anything to do with them being cowhocked but I've personally seen horses that just don't have good back leg conformation period and have stifle problems. The one thing I really see in the pics is she toes out quite a bit. That could cause her not to track straight and walk outward. Its also hard to tell in these pics how good of a hip she has, how straight her stifle is, etc...

She can out grow this, and it can be helped with proper trimming but I would take it seriously. Stay on top of her trims and no stall rest as much as possible, you may want the vet to look at her as well if not already. Locking stifle is more serious IMO. The more turn out time she has the better. She looks cute, I especially love the last pic.

I don't think she's terribly cow hocked. Plus, its pretty early and they can change.

Interestingly, what most breeds consider to be a conformational fault is really the more anatomically correct position of the hock. They understand this in draft horses and it is not only not seen as a fault, it is preferred. It allows them to pull heavier loads better.

Dr Taylor

Overall she is very nice. Remember, foals go through many stages, many times their legs will compensate for the width of the barrel or the amount of muscle she does or doesn't have. Have a knowledgeable farrier give her regular trims, keep her on a good diet that is appropriate for her growing needs and allow her to grow and muscle up.ENJOY HER!

I have a horse I got in, who was an adult, and once he was transported home, I was a bit upset as he was "cow hocked". Of course, you can set them up in pictures so that you could never tell, which is why there are so many cow hocked show horses. The horse was previously in a boarding situation, never got turnout, and only worked for about 5 minutes daily. I started turning him out in the pasture where he gets plenty of exercise running with the other horses. Guess what? He's completely straight now. He was just terribly under muscled from always standing in a stall and not being worked enough. Ive had horses who truely were cow hocked in the past, but this guy simple was way under muscled, and fat.

Locking stifles are a completely different issue, but one of the best things for them is plenty of turnout

Thanks, glad there is a chance she will get better! Thankfuly her stifle has not locked since
default_smile.png
. She is turned out all day to run and play, I know how imortant that is, expectialy with ones prone to stifle lock. I hope it was a one time deal! See she WAS locked up in a 20X20 stall for 2 weeks before it happened, only because I had just brought her home and she was wild, never messed with, just brought up from the pasture.

Here is a side pic. Not a good pic because her legs set, but that is because it was taken for her to be registered. I will try to get my "photographer" to help me take a current pic of her as soon as time allows.

Thanks,

Casey

Zoey3... That side picture is a lot more helpful to judge than the previous photos.

We can see in the front feet, she is quite club footed (the angle of the Pastern is more sloped than the angle of the hoof.

We can also see why she might be genetically predisposed for classic stifle lock... It is the combination of the weak hip and shallow angulation in the hind end (some call it post legged) that typically ( but not always) accompanies horses with locking stifle. Not the most post legged horse I've seen but from the side the angles are less than ideal.

I don't think she's terribly cow hocked. Plus, its pretty early and they can change.

Interestingly, what most breeds consider to be a conformational fault is really the more anatomically correct position of the hock. They understand this in draft horses and it is not only not seen as a fault, it is preferred. It allows them to pull heavier loads better.

Dr Taylor
Glad you mentioned that. In my Equine Evaluation class our professor gave us an article that said "slighly cowhocked" was best because legs that looked "straight" were technically slightly bowlegged.

When she had the stifle lock, I researched it and did find what you said that a weak hip and to straight of legs can be part of the cause. I do know she looks a lot better now then she did then, much fuller and more balanced. I will get some current pics of her as soon as a I can.

Thanks,

Casey

Here is an updated pic of her, taken 1/28/12. FYI she is chewing treats
default_smile.png

She does look a lot better. You can still see her back legs aren't straight but she can still improve. I would just continue with what your doing and still watch her stifle.

Back