Opinion of mini...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandi

Reaction score
Here is a mini that was given to us for free about 2 years ago. The owners couldnt take care of her anymore. This isnt a very good picture of her, but I didnt have any help taking the picture and had about 10 seconds from the time I hit the camera button to run and try to get her set up... didnt do a great job of it but perhaps you can get a general idea. If not I'll try to take some better ones later. She is overwieght and isnt clipped in the picture. We just havent had nice enough weather to do it. She is 34 inches and around 320 pounds sooo she is a chunky monkey:) Any ideas for conditioning would be greatly appreciated also! I would like to be able to possibly show her at some point just for fun. Nothing really serious. Mostly just fun shows and an occasional county fair here and there once she is in better shape. Do you think she might be able to do halter? I'm not sure if she really has what it takes conformation wise or not.
sugarbaby0011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in love with her face! You got lucky with her, she looks like a super sweet little girl.

I think this picture really doesn't do her any favors at all, so I'm not going to say much. ;)

Her head looks huge (I can chop it up in Photoshop, twirl it around and put it aganist her neck, and it's as big as her neck!), and her legs look shortish. I thought she was 30", not 34". So I'm sitting here thinking it's just a really unfortunate photo. It's amazing how you can snap a photo and it's in focus and the horse is standing still, but the angle is OH SO SLIGHTLY off and you're like "Uh... that's not my horse..."

To me she doesn't look fat at all. Actually, my first thought was maybe a bit skinny. In the picture, her neck is very thick, but her backend looks quite trim. I can clearly see hollows behind her elbows and slight indents in her rump. Again, this might simply be an illusion created by the picture.

I'm not thrilled with how her neck ties in, but I think how it comes out of her shoulder is very attractive. I like the shape too and how she's using it. She looks like she has a nice throatlatch and a really well defined jowl, big eyes and cute ears. Normally I don't care one bit for blue eyes, but she has very attractive eyes. I like her head and expression. I really like that she seems to have some stand-up-and-show to her. Even with her ears at half-mast she's got some presence to her.

Looks like she's got a nice hip and nice tailset, stifle/gaskin looks very weak, and it doesn't match her front end at all but that's one of the reasons I think the picture is just really bad.

My first impression is "really like the mare. Really hate the photo"

I think this picture really doesn't do her any favors at all, so I'm not going to say much. ;)
Her head looks huge (I can chop it up in Photoshop, twirl it around and put it aganist her neck, and it's as big as her neck!), and her legs look shortish. I thought she was 30", not 34". So I'm sitting here thinking it's just a really unfortunate photo. It's amazing how you can snap a photo and it's in focus and the horse is standing still, but the angle is OH SO SLIGHTLY off and you're like "Uh... that's not my horse..."

To me she doesn't look fat at all. Actually, my first thought was maybe a bit skinny. In the picture, her neck is very thick, but her backend looks quite trim. I can clearly see hollows behind her elbows and slight indents in her rump. Again, this might simply be an illusion created by the picture.

I'm not thrilled with how her neck ties in, but I think how it comes out of her shoulder is very attractive. I like the shape too and how she's using it. She looks like she has a nice throatlatch and a really well defined jowl, big eyes and cute ears. Normally I don't care one bit for blue eyes, but she has very attractive eyes. I like her head and expression. I really like that she seems to have some stand-up-and-show to her. Even with her ears at half-mast she's got some presence to her.

Looks like she's got a nice hip and nice tailset, stifle/gaskin looks very weak, and it doesn't match her front end at all but that's one of the reasons I think the picture is just really bad.

My first impression is "really like the mare. Really hate the photo"

Thank you sooo much for the indept critique! I really appreciate it. I had to laugh when I read your first impression:) Its not easy taking a picture by yourself in 10 seconds flat lol I told you it was a bad picture. The picture does do her justice in the wieght area. She looks a lot smaller here, but trust me when I say that she jiggles when she trots. She doesnt really carry any fat in her rump or chest area, but her mid section is pretty bad.

IMO she looks like Mike (the horse I have been working with). When you clip her she will look a lot different. I still don't think she would be competitive in halter. The reasons are; her head is a bit on the large plain side (just like mikes), her body is a bit long side (as is mikes) and her legs are just a tad short for the length of body. That doesn't mean you can not have fun with her. Maybe even teach her to drive. You might even try some halter obstical or hunter/jumper. Just because they are not put together for halter doesn't mean she can't be shown.
default_wub.png

I have always said, it is hard to tell the conformation of a hairy horse. this being said, there are somethings that one can see with her.

One, she has a thick throatlatch. straight shoulder and her neck comes out of her chest rather than her shoulder, giving her a loaded shoulder look. Her hip and tailset look like they may be alright, the hair will make the tailset look a little lower. She is much heavier in the front and light in the back.

Hard to tell on the head. Sometimes they look much bigger than they really are with the wrong angles and all of the hair. She looks like she has a dish and a smaller muzzel. I think the thick throatlatch makes her head look bigger. Once the hair is off, she should look better. Trimed up, her legs may not look too short, the big belly and the long hair, make her look short in the leg, but this may be an optical illusion.

I do not think she will be much of a show horse, but once clipped, you should post her picture again.

IMO she looks like Mike (the horse I have been working with). When you clip her she will look a lot different. I still don't think she would be competitive in halter. The reasons are; her head is a bit on the large plain side (just like mikes), her body is a bit long side (as is mikes) and her legs are just a tad short for the length of body. That doesn't mean you can not have fun with her. Maybe even teach her to drive. You might even try some halter obstical or hunter/jumper. Just because they are not put together for halter doesn't mean she can't be shown.
Thank you for your honesty! I know my girl has a bigger than normal head... I figured that out a long time ago when most mini sized halters never fit quite right lol! I plan on teaching her to drive and I have been working with her for halter obstacle and she is doing great in that. I havent worked on hunter/jumper yet seeing as she is just way to unfit and overwieght for it to be safe. I still plan on trying to show her in halter this year, and at least I know what her faults are. I dont do it to win, Its more of a fun thing to do and if we get last we get last its just a good excuse to have the family together for a weekend. My husband works a lot of hours but is always there if I want to show one of our animals. So I do it more for us to have a day together... otherwise it just doesnt usually happen. The last two years we showed our pigs.... never thought in a million years I would be doing that. Funny thing is we did it for fun not thinking we were going to get anything and ours ended up becoming a champion! Granted I really dont expect this from sugar baby ( our mini) but for us the fun part is showing and being with the family and if you happen to get a ribbon then that is just icing on the cake.

I would like sugar baby to get used to the show scene before she learns to drive so that next year when I want to show her in a driving class she will have had some experience with all the hoopla and it wont be such a big deal.

Ohh...before I forget do you have a picture of mike. I would LOVE to see him!!

Mandi--just wanted to say that I hope you have fun with your mare this summer, wins or no wins!

I thought this post was really neat. As a newbie myself--I just became a mini owner not yet two weeks ago--I loved to hear everyone's opinions on this mare. I think it's a wonderful teaching tool for those of us still learning about conformation. I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a special forum where members discuss the pros and cons of other members' horses? Any owner wanting their horse critiqued could submit photos for the pros to analyze (and all of us newbies can sit back and absorb what the rest of you already know!!!)

Hi Mandi

I like your attitude - that will take you a long way in the show ring! The moment showing stops being fun and you take it too seriously is the time I would walk away from it all.

I really like your mare. And, she is not as overweight as I had expected. Long winter hair is really deceiving.

Enjoy her, she's a doll
default_wub.png

I bet if we started a string on "before and after clipping", photos of our minis with winter hair on and off and we could all say "wow". One of my boys looks HUGE with his winter hair and even wears a larger halter in the winter. After clipping and shedding he changes shape and wears a size smaller halter and I can get a couple of holes up on his surcingle too. Heads look more refined after clipping and legs sure do look alot longer with that belly hair off. Are you sure on that weight? Just curious how you measured. My boys are B sized and are not thin and don't weigh that much. I know what you mean about angle of photos... I have snapped photos on my minis one day where they look like the "goodyear blimp" :DOH! and then the next day snapped some and they look great. Angle of the photo can sure distort things. Also wanted to mention that a bit of cinnamon in the food can smooth out the belly weight and fat bumps if you need it. I use cinnamon on one of my boys and it does take out the jiggle along with lunging and line driving. Just wish the cinnamon worked on me that well. Best wishes and enjoy.

Any owner wanting their horse critiqued could submit photos for the pros to analyze (and all of us newbies can sit back and absorb what the rest of you already know!!!)
I really like the idea of critiquing each others horses. It really is a helpful tool to hear other peoples opinions on conformation. Especially, if your new at it like we are.

Angle of the photo can sure distort things. Also wanted to mention that a bit of cinnamon in the food can smooth out the belly weight and fat bumps if you need it. I use cinnamon on one of my boys and it does take out the jiggle along with lunging and line driving. Just wish the cinnamon worked on me that well. Best wishes and enjoy.
ok, now I am going to have to try to get a better picture of her because I can promise you that this picture is EXTREMELY kind to her love handles LOL. I took her to the vet for her spring check up and she was put on the scale at 320. The vet looked at us when we took her off the trailer and said... I dont remember you saying that you bred her it looks like she is due in a few months ;) You should have seen his face when I told her she wasnt bred
default_new_shocked.gif
He just looked at me and said...yeahhh she needs a bit of a diet and a Lot of excercise.

I like your attitude - that will take you a long way in the show ring! The moment showing stops being fun and you take it too seriously is the time I would walk away from it all.
I really REALLY am trying to get my husband back to a taking his horses to shows again. He had some bad experiences with his exwife who is a professional trainer ordering him around at shows and it was a high strung tense environment at all the shows so now he likes to watch them, but isnt to excited about bringing our horses. He just automatically thinks that it is going to be the same way So IT HAS TO BE FUN!!!!! I went with some friends last year who let my daughter do a few classes on thier horses and we had a blast. They are the type who dont care if you win or lose its just having fun. I tried to tell my husband this, but he has it in his head that all horse people are high stung out to win bite your head off type at a show. Thats all he has ever seen so I guess I can understand where he is coming from. My goal this summer isnt to win its more to get the horses used to everything out there and my husband into realizing that not all horse people and horse shows are about is winning at all cost.

I don't know where you are, but if there are Pinto shows in your area, you might consider getting her registered with PtHA (www.pinto.org). The shows are a lot of fun and almost everyone shows in performance classes. Pinto has a really great award system so you are bound to find something to aim for.

I don't know where you are, but if there are Pinto shows in your area, you might consider getting her registered with PtHA (www.pinto.org). The shows are a lot of fun and almost everyone shows in performance classes. Pinto has a really great award system so you are bound to find something to aim for.
I am in northwest indiana. Thanks for the suggestion I will have to look into that. I know of a few people who show in this registration so I am assuming there are shows nearby but will have to see how far. We are about 2 hours from indy and an hour and 15 from chicago.

I don't show so what do I know LOL but after she is clipped have her stand on pavement or hard surface and set her up without being so stretched out and head so high then post some pictures for discussion. It's so hard to tell when a mini is that hairy.

I think she is cute !!!

Last edited:
Hey,

I am quite the newbie, and I couldn't tell much from the photo either, but what you said about where her weight lies reminded me of the problem my little fella had. I asked my Mini-Mentor what I should do--while he had a nice round belly, you could feel his spine, tailhead, and around other bony parts up top. Well, I learned that hay and other forage rounds them up in the belly, and grain fills them up on top. So I adjusted his feed accordingly, and now he is looking--and feeling!--much better.
default_wink.png
Again, I am a newbie in the mini world, but I hope that helped!

--C

P.S. She looks like a sweetie!
default_wub.png

I don't show so what do I know LOL but after she is clipped have her stand on pavement or hard surface and set her up without being so stretched out and head so high then post some pictures for discussion. It's so hard to tell when a mini is that hairy.
I plan on doing that once the weather gets a bit warmer and i figure out how to clip a mini exactly...
default_unsure.png
Do you clip against the grain or with? What length do you leave the hair? Are there different lengths for different parts of the body? And are there any quiet clippers that can still get the job done? I have a par of really cheap dog clippers just to get my horse used to the sound/vibrations. She will let me run them all over her except for her ears and right behind her ears by the bridle path. Otherwise, I can clip her all myself. I dont want to have to medicate her or restrain her in order to get the job done so to speak. Does anyone have any tips for what they do and how they do it? Thanks

She is spectacularly nice for a free mare! I think she is nice enough to show the way you describe wanting to use her. Maybe not a top open halter prospect, but with a little conditioning and clipping, I think you'll have a very nice looking mare. If you spend time training her well and getting her fit, I bet she will do very well in the classes you mention. Have fun!

Latest posts

Back