Opinion needed from the color experts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaprikorn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a colt that was born 2 months ago that has medium gray eyes. I thought he might be a smokey black: sire is buckskin and dam is black/brown (her sire is a buckskin, too). When he was born the skin under his tail and around his face was kinda violet colored and he had smokey gray eyes. His coat was like that of a "black" colt (dark gray/black)when born, but now that he has gotten older he is shedding out on his face he is a dark brown-black color. Still has the smokey gray eyes.

Is this the cream gene working on them? Do you think smokey black? Will have him tested soon. . but just wondered what ya'll thought.

Thanks

Sheryl

7-8-2011_120.JPG

Dancer6_7-8-11.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures would be good and even then it might be hard to tell so maybe a test would tell you once and for all.

I agree testing will tell you for sure. I will be testing my filly who is black out of a black mare by a buckskin stallion. She also has a fawney tinge round the edges so will be testing to be sure.

Some black foals during their foal shed can go that colour but again a test will confirm for you. Oh and he is a handsome chap and beautiful head

Looks like a smokey black to my. My 2 month old colt is a smokey black and has greyish eyes
default_smile.png

I agree that the eyes could indicate he carries cream dilute, but the only way to tell for sure is to color test.

Photos of the parents would be helpful to know if there is silver in there as he may carry that too. The way you are descriving his skin color at birth sounds the same as a filly I had born here, and she was a silver smokey black. Not sure if the silver or the cream caused the funny colored skin. I suspect more from the cream though, and I would think your colt definitly carries the cream.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back