Open Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyarab

Reaction score
Was wondering how many of you would like it if AMHR would allow us points on our mini's at the open shows just like the Arabians, Quarter Horses, Welsh Ponies, POA's and Paint Horses get for showing at them? I called the AMHR office at one time and asked why this option was not offered and the answer I got is because we don't, well I think it's about time they do.
default_smile.png

I enjoy showing at open shows, as well as registry shows.

However, if AMHR and / or AMHA chose to somehow recognize Open show points, I would only be in favor of it if they accounted for and recognized them separately from Registry show points and acknowledgements.

I feel this way because the Open shows are not as consistent with what is valued in a show mini the way the registry shows are (I know it's not ever a "science" but there is a difference from what I've seen in what does well at some Open shows vs. Registry shows).

I would like to see AMHR at least consider the option for areas that don't have very many recognized "R" shows. For example, perhaps allow open show points to count (in some fashion) for people who have fewer than a certain number of "R" shows (e.g. 4) within a certain number of miles (maybe 200). I agree that the open shows can have very different standards, and there would be potential issues, but I also happen to live in an area with few AMHR shows.

Unless it is a carded AMHR/AMHA judge would I consider this. The standards are so different from show to show there is no consistency. Most of the judges are either 4-H or carded in other breeds. Unless the judge is recognized by the registry I do not feel it should be allowed as it lowers the standard. I've actually had judges go "Oh how cute" and I know of SEVERAL dwarfs that have pinned over correct horses in the open ring. Believe me I have shown open for many years [and still do] and what I see does not meet the registry standards.

Fred Posted Today, 09:45 AM Unless it is a carded AMHR/AMHA judge would I consider this. The standards are so different from show to show there is no consistency. Most of the judges are either 4-H or carded in other breeds. Unless the judge is recognized by the registry I do not feel it should be allowed as it lowers the standard. I've actually had judges go "Oh how cute" and I know of SEVERAL dwarfs that have pinned over correct horses in the open ring. Believe me I have shown open for many years [and still do] and what I see does not meet the registry standards.
That was the first thought i had as well
default_smile.png

Classes for minis would have to be seperate from other breeds and open to only registered animals for a point system to work. I know some open shows in this area have seperate classes for minis but many do not. Also there is no requirement at any open show here that minis be registered to enter the class and classes are not divided by height.

I enjoy showing at open shows, as well as registry shows.

However, if AMHR and / or AMHA chose to somehow recognize Open show points, I would only be in favor of it if they accounted for and recognized them separately from Registry show points and acknowledgements.

I feel this way because the Open shows are not as consistent with what is valued in a show mini the way the registry shows are (I know it's not ever a "science" but there is a difference from what I've seen in what does well at some Open shows vs. Registry shows).

I have to say I agree. We dont have alot of breed shows in our area in fact now just 3 in our state all on opposite ends of eachother.

HOwever open shows dont have the same amount of minis showing and most often dont have the same quanity of "quality" that many areas have so I dont know that it would be "fair" to get your points that way not to mention they dont have the grand classes

I understand what some of you are saying about the quality of mini's at open shows. The closest show for me to attend is 2 1/2 hours from me which is not that far especially when you are talking Texas but I also wanted something close to home. I decided to have open shows in my area because I wanted to do something to promote the miniatures and ponies so that people would know that they are useful and not just backyard pets plus it would help me to create a market in my area. Since I run and manage the open show I get judges that know about the mini's and have had a few carded AMHR judges do my shows so they know what quality is. The classes I setup are for seperated by miniatures, and ponies so to me if others really want to promote the breed maybe they should consider putting on some quality open shows in their area. Granted right now we do not have alot of mini's or ponies and the full sized horses foot the bill for the majority of the show but the miniature and pony classes are growing each year.
default_smile.png

Kim,

My closest show is Conroe which is an hour and a half. Unfortunately, very few horse owners or trainers have the benefit of having shows in their backyard. The life of a trainer is that of a life behind the wheel!
default_wink.png

Even if the registries recognized the open shows, I still wouldn't attend. I have several Pinto registered ponies that I would like to ROM and probably could if I went to the open shows in my area. But to me, it's just not worth the extra hassle. I'd rather spend my gas money going to an A rated breed show.

I also have to agree with Fred only if it was a carded AMHR or pony judge,and the reason being is this

I showed my ASPC/AMHR weanling colt 32'' at our local county fair this year ,the judge was not a AMHR or pony judge but had done her apprenticeship with a carded AMHR, pony judge.The judge placed me first in the weanling class but the horse that won the junior grand champion stallion was this cute tiny little AMHA horse, IMO there was inconsistance in the style and height of horses that won.

Latest posts

Back