ooops! Silly me!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I have had the same water trough heaters for many years.

Late last spring, I bought a new one as a spare just in case, since the others were getting old.

Rarely do the heaters ever trip the circuit breaker, maybe if there is a wild windy rain storm but hardly ever.

During the second blizzard this week, one of my troughs was looking like slush. I hit the circuit breakers, they tripped over and over again. I checked the outdoor outlet and it was fried, and then I broke off the plug inside it!

Long story short after struggling to figure out what was wrong, replacing a heater, hooking up giant long extension cords to the house, I thought everything was fine but the one trough turned to ice.

Took a trip to the tack shop during the blizzard to get another heater, owner says my heater( that I bought in Spring) works fine... DUH, I never checked it.

Turned out after all that..... the extension cord plug was accidentally pulled out of the electric outlet at the house.

Its working fine now... but how dumb can I be?

Still need to get the electrician out after the snow goes away to fix that outlet at the fenceline.

But my troughs are heated again and all is well.... Hurrah!!!! So much worry and hassle because the plug came out of the wall!

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Robin, sounds like something I would do. I feel for you. I'm sorry that, that happened how frustrating that must have been. I'm glad the heater is working though. Hope you get through this blizzard ok, TJ

Glad to hear all is well now.

I don't have horses, but let me tell you, going out to the goat barn I've found that I can't think with a frozen brain!

My dear, you know the kind of luck I have. And we all know, having horses etc, that when something goes kablooey, that it goes KABLOOEY!

So cut yourself some slack (blondie LOL
default_risa_suelos.gif
) because you were just trying to make sure your babies had good water in all that snow. Who would have thought it was something EASY like the it coming unplugged?

SMOOCH!
default_wub.png

LOL!! Robin. You and I really do think alike!! I would always look for the complicated reason for a problem instead of presuming that it might have a simple answer
default_rolleyes.gif

Take care my friend
default_saludando.gif

Anna

I'm glad you're up and running! I'm like that...when things tend not to work I start at the most complex problem solving instead of the most obvious simple ones and go down from there. Hubby is the opposite...he starts from the bottom up checking the most simple problems then working his way up. BTW...hows that snow blower working for you? You might need it again come Tuesday. Did you get a gas powered one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Robin, this might make you feel a bit better. My husband "checked" my floating water heaters for me this year while I was at work, called me at work to tell me both weren't working, as he'd put ice on the heating element and it didn't melt the ice. But he also mentioned that he could smell it getting hot but it just wasn't. That sounded a little fishy to me (that heat smell only happens when there is heat in my experience) so I fished them out of the garbabe to test them myself later. I didn't tell my husband I was doing this, and didn't question anything when we discussed this because we've both been very tired with a new baby in the house and some things just aren't worth questioning a tired person over.

Anyway, when I got the chance to check them myself - both worked - he'd been putting the ice on the GUARD around the heating element. Oh my! I did not marry a "farm" kid and it really shows sometimes. . . he also does not do well with lack of sleep
default_wink.png
!

Glad you are up and running. But beleive me that is something I would do:)

I have had the same water trough heaters for many years.Late last spring, I bought a new one as a spare just in case, since the others were getting old.

Rarely do the heaters ever trip the circuit breaker, maybe if there is a wild windy rain storm but hardly ever.

During the second blizzard this week, one of my troughs was looking like slush. I hit the circuit breakers, they tripped over and over again. I checked the outdoor outlet and it was fried, and then I broke off the plug inside it!

Long story short after struggling to figure out what was wrong, replacing a heater, hooking up giant long extension cords to the house, I thought everything was fine but the one trough turned to ice.

Took a trip to the tack shop during the blizzard to get another heater, owner says my heater( that I bought in Spring) works fine... DUH, I never checked it.

Turned out after all that..... the extension cord plug was accidentally pulled out of the electric outlet at the house.

Its working fine now... but how dumb can I be?

Still need to get the electrician out after the snow goes away to fix that outlet at the fenceline.

But my troughs are heated again and all is well.... Hurrah!!!! So much worry and hassle because the plug came out of the wall!

Robin

Latest posts

Back